Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
British Airways Lounge - Boston (BOS) Edward L. Logan International Airport, Terminal E.

This thread gives details of the British Airways Lounge which opened on 23 March 2017. The lounge also service Iberia, JAL and Cathay Pacific passengers.

Location: Airside, after security, on level 4. Turn left after security, around the corner and then the lifts and escalator up to level 4 is by gate E11. Clearly signposted.

Access: one lounge with standard oneworld access rules, Sapphire and Emeralds plus one guest, GGL and Premier (2 guests), Club World passengers (no guests). First (1 guest). First Dining area reserved for BA First and Premier passengers only.

Open hours mornings: Three hours before the morning BA flight, so currently from 06:00 until 09:00 departure. Also 3 hours before the JAL Tokyo service, so currently 10:30 to 13:30
Open hours evenings: 3 hours before the first BA or IB flight (currently 15:30 for the 18:30 Iberia service) until departure of the last BA or CX flight (currently 01:30). However these will change according to the timetable. Passengers from BA, IB, JL and CX can use the lounge while it is open.

Photo review from tripodjw can be found in post 33.
Photo review from corporate-wage-slave can be found in post 65, with hot food options located in post 66.

Print Wikipost

Boston British Airways Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
I had the same issues accessing the BA lounge flying QR J from BOS and being denied while at the same time presenting a BA Gold Card which is ridiculous.
​​​​​​So what excuse did BA spin you when they denied you entry? Presumably not the lack of OW status excuse. This won't quite be the same as your wife, will it.
​​
There's clearly a capacity issue at certain times of the day in what appears to be an extremely popular lounge. Enough of an issue for QR to be making alternative arrangements for its Business passengers.

The small print on the OneWorld website is in places at best shoddy where you can read or assume several different meanings within the various content. I don't think that makes me right and you wrong or vice versa, I just don't think it's particularly helpful to anyone when it could be written a lot more concisely in the first place.

​​​
​​​​

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Feb 11, 2020 at 2:25 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyalways
BA lounge is MUCH nicer than the Travel club !!
I'm sure it is hence the apparent frustration on here when denied entry to the BA.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I'm not sure it is that clear, because the above misses off a line from the website. What it says for BA lounge at BOS is (emphasis mine):

So while it is not the nominated lounge for Qatar, the oneworld website does seem to suggest that access should be permitted. After all, take a look at the oneworld entry for CX J at LHR T3 (https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LHR)

If we restrict to just the airlines specifically listed, we see:

No mention of BA there! Yet customers flying BA are given access, because like BA at BOS, it also has an "any eligible on oneworld" clause.

So I don't think it's quite as cut and dried as being on the list of airlines.
  • Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.

I read this and put great emphasis on the world ELIGIBLE. Eligible to one person could mean frequent flyer status. Class of travel to another.
It isn't specific enough for my liking and here's why:

​​​A BA Blue flying Club World has zero eligibility to lounge access under one world status rules but is eligible under BA policy due to class of service. Therefore if their own facility is available then I read that to mean they are to use that. Taking LHR T3 as an example, there are lounges operated by CX, BA, QF and AA. To a Club World passenger without status this means using the BA lounge only. A Finnair Business Class passengers with zero status is eligible to use the Cathay Business Lounge because the airline is specifically mentioned in the lounge eligibility guideline. If in practice other things are happening then that doesn't make it right, it just muddies the water for everyone else who reads it differently.

Back to BOS - QR is specifically NOT mentioned on the BA lounge access based purely on eligibility by carrier.

Access

• Business Class
  • First Class
  • Sapphire Tier
  • Emerald Tier

Airlines

• British Airways
  • Cathay Pacific
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Japan Airlines
  • LATAM
  • Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.

​​​​​​That's not to say you can't gain access under status eligibility but until you reach the dizzy heights of Sapphire status within Oneworld, you aren't eligible to lounge access on status alone. You need to be traveling in First or Business Class on one of the mentioned airlines. QR is specifically not mentioned. QR have made alternative agreements with The Club for its business passengers. By all means complain to QR over the quality of the lounge they're providing by I fail to understand how this is the fault of the BA lounge dragon when all they're doing when denying entry to QR J pax without status is following the rules as they read them? I read it the same way but I fully appreciate others.may read it differently.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
All OW lounges are supposed to accept ALL OW Business class passengers AND
status based passengers (Sapphire/Emerald) regardless of class of travel. That is the
spirit of OW alliance. BA can make up its own rules but then they are clearing the path
for others to break away from the essence of the OW alliance :-(
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I was granted entry to this lounge with OW Sapphire + a QR J ticket back in May. Not sure if its changed since then.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by flyalways
All OW lounges are supposed to accept ALL OW Business class passengers AND
status based passengers (Sapphire/Emerald) regardless of class of travel. That is the
spirit of OW alliance. BA can make up its own rules but then they are clearing the path
for others to break away from the essence of the OW alliance :-(
Whare does it specifically say this?
I don't see BA making up rules as they go along, I see them enforcing policy. The only exceptions being BA Concorde Rooms* and QR lounge facilities at DOH and LHR which aren't accessible unless travelling in specific classes and where status has nothing to do with it.

* or a CCR card which is all to do with BA and nothing to do with OneWorld

​​​​​
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Oneworld lounge access is by status or cabin as noted here. There are some exceptions listed at the bottom such as some QR lounges.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=

as also noted

• Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.
flyalways and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I was granted entry to this lounge with OW Sapphire + a QR J ticket back in May. Not sure if its changed since then.
If you had not been a Sapphire, you would have been denied entry !
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.
And the point being that the Qatar flight leaves at 22:15, with boarding starting around an hour beforehand, whereas the last BA service departs at 21:30 with boarding starting around 30 minutes beforehand. In other words one would normally expect the BOS lounge to be fairly full, particularly if there are delays from the earlier BA services. Hence Qatar has made alternative arrangements.

I have to say I find it bizarre to read all the "Qatar is so much better than BA" posts in this forum, until we get to the point when it's not - and at which stage we still manage to get complaints about the superior BA offering.
KARFA and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And the point being that the Qatar flight leaves at 22:15, with boarding starting around an hour beforehand, whereas the last BA service departs at 21:30 with boarding starting around 30 minutes beforehand. In other words one would normally expect the BOS lounge to be fairly full, particularly if there are delays from the earlier BA services. Hence Qatar has made alternative arrangements.

I have to say I find it bizarre to read all the "Qatar is so much better than BA" posts in this forum, until we get to the point when it's not - and at which stage we still manage to get complaints about the superior BA offering.
I prefer BA lounge and QR J on-board product...I want to have the cake and eat it too :-)
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:35 pm

BA would receive a hefty access fee if another airline’s customer used their lounge, so you can bet (your bottom dollar, for want of a better phrase) there will be a reason they’re refusing access... undoubtedly capacity and being somewhat overrun with their own customers at peak times. I bet they’d welcome QR’s J pax (in line with oneworld access rules) if they thought they could fit them in without their own customers complaining (which they would no doubt do, vocally, on this board).
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

That makes total sense and isn't an oversimplification or anything What are you in primary school?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
​​​​​​So what excuse did BA spin you when they denied you entry? Presumably not the lack of OW status excuse. This won't quite be the same as your wife, will it.
​​
There's clearly a capacity issue at certain times of the day in what appears to be an extremely popular lounge. Enough of an issue for QR to be making alternative arrangements for its Business passengers.

The small print on the OneWorld website is in places at best shoddy where you can read or assume several different meanings within the various content. I don't think that makes me right and you wrong or vice versa, I just don't think it's particularly helpful to anyone when it could be written a lot more concisely in the first place.

​​​
​​​​
My wife??? What has she got to do with it? You think maybe she called ahead and told them not to let me in
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
My wife??? What has she got to do with it? You think maybe she called ahead and told them not to let me in
You used your wife as your initial example of denied entry to the BA BOS lounge. You then used your own example. I was just pointing out the semantics behind both cases were different. You with status. Hers without.

Now you've added a third angle of marital revenge which I admit I hadn't considered. In your own example, perhaps you should ask her if she had anything to do with it
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You used your wife as your initial example of denied entry to the BA BOS lounge. You then used your own example. I was just pointing out the semantics behind both cases were different. You with status. Hers without.

Now you've added a third angle of marital revenge which I admit I hadn't considered. In your own example, perhaps you should ask her if she had anything to do with it
No, that was flyalways wife! As far as I know we do not share a wife but of course it is plausible that marital revenge could have played a part in their issue as well I was merely commenting that I was also turned away trying to access the lounge even as a GCH.
flyalways and 1Aturnleft like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.