Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by golfmad
Apart from the fact it's a 3rd party lounge
I think that was the pun....
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by smokie36
Is the chef English? Triangle sausage isn't my bag.
It is a sliced Lorne Sausage. A local dish, and part of the Highlands Breakfast. No English input, other than sliced in half for the delicate types!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_sausage
AndDee likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
I'm flying back this afternoon from ABZ to LHR, and will report back on the Northern Lights lounge. Well that's assuming there is no impact to flights later as a result of the latest IT outage....

The old BA lounge was pretty good (IMHO) so the bar is high. I'm worried that the Northern Lights lounge will be so busy you can get no peace, but the pics look like its a great place and we'll be well looked after!

Last edited by OnslowSW7; Aug 2, 2017 at 4:02 am
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by antichef
It is a sliced Lorne Sausage. A local dish, and part of the Highlands Breakfast. No English input, other than sliced in half for the delicate types!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_sausage
I'm well aware of what it is...trouble is those of us who know it as square sausage might enjoy a grumble.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think that was the pun....
I was trying to play on the irony but obviously failed miserably.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
well I am in the lounge now and can concur with others who have visited- its a super lounge with a much improved F&B offering, and bathrooms in the lounge rather than outside and around the corner.

Lets hope the new BA lounge lives up to this new standard ;-)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RandomStan
Wow! That was incredibly comprehensive - cheers for that!

I'll be swinging by the lounge on Thursday. If it hasn't been answered on this thread by then, I'll also ask about the rules surrounding guests - i.e. can BAEC Gold still invite a guest in, and do BAEC Silver members get two vouchers, or just one...
Wow! Looks fantastic - shame I don't have any BA flights until next month now after a spate of them too.
Looking forward to hearing what they say - enjoy.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Guest Access for temporary BA Lounge arrangements

OK, so I'm sitting in the ABZ lounge now. I don't think anyone has yet clarified the guest situation (unless I skimmed past it - sorry!), so I asked both at check-in, and again at the temporary booth they have installed outside the old lounge.

BAEC Silver: Both the cardholder and a guest will get a £5 voucher. So, for what it's worth, that's a tenner to spend somewhere.

BAEC Gold: The lounge will allow you to invite one guest.

I'm impressed by their whisky collection - you have to buy some of the premium stuff, but still, holding stock of Dalmore King Alexander III whisky here? Nice! Cheers! <hic>

(And yes, they tease you with the sign for the new BA lounge at the start of the corridor - which is a bit mean as it's months away from opening! )
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Thanks RandomStan, that helps - not what Silvers will want to hear but at least we know. Looking forward to visiting it.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
"Hi...... can I have a voucher for my guest please 'who is already through security'......?"

Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold.
Slightly off topic, does anyone know if BMI still gives Fast Tracks security at ABZ to all passengers, not just Business fares? Know they used to, but can't actually get a straight answer from them at the moment....

On BA lounge, I'm BA Gold but if I was Silver I'd be really hacked off by the lounge situation. Northern Lights lounge is really good through. Have been using that via Priority Pass on recent BA flights in any case, as so much better than what BA was providing....
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Ian.Mc.SOR
Slightly off topic, does anyone know if BMI still gives Fast Tracks security at ABZ to all passengers, not just Business fares? Know they used to, but can't actually get a straight answer from them at the moment....

On BA lounge, I'm BA Gold but if I was Silver I'd be really hacked off by the lounge situation. Northern Lights lounge is really good through. Have been using that via Priority Pass on recent BA flights in any case, as so much better than what BA was providing....
BMI? Or do you mean bmi Regional?

According to bmi regional website, only Executive fares get fast track security: https://www.flybmi.com/airport-information/lounges
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold.
BMI Regional - know that's what website says, but last time I flew with them (admitted last year), everyone from Aberdeen got Fast Track..... With Check-in girl saying BMI Regional paid for it regardless....
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
With online check-in can you go straight to the lounge or do you require a voucher/accreditation from BA desk?

Sounds like ABZ will work better than LGW and perhaps it was the negative experience of managing the latter that justifies the exclusion of Silver. The No1 Lounge was overcrowded during the BA transition aggravated by sharing with people determined to attain full value for whatever they'd paid for access.

Popping up for the weekend so can't wait for one of those Scotch pies.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Saturn69
With online check-in can you go straight to the lounge or do you require a voucher/accreditation from BA desk?

Sounds like ABZ will work better than LGW and perhaps it was the negative experience of managing the latter that justifies the exclusion of Silver. The No1 Lounge was overcrowded during the BA transition aggravated by sharing with people determined to attain full value for whatever they'd paid for access.

Popping up for the weekend so can't wait for one of those Scotch pies.
Welcome to FT Saturn69 and to the BA forum.

I see that you are BA Gold - you can go straight to the Northern Lights lounge and just show your boarding pass. You don't need any voucher from the check-in desks. All they do at the lounge is scan your pass and write down your details (presumably so that they can charge BA).

The wee Scotch pies are very tasty (as are the cheese and bacon burgers)!
Saturn69 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.