Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador

The BA Lounge in ABZ is closing by August 6th. It was due to be replaced by a new one in the terminal extension (opening in stages from mid May), but may now be subsumed within a new larger multi-tenant lounge.

Apparently BA are now asking the question on why they are maintaining separate lounges in the domestic out-stations (ABZ, MAN, NCL, GLA, EDI) given their current cost focus.

Bed news indeed if this does come about - but perhaps not surprising in teh current climate.

Last edited by redpalmetto; Jun 9, 2017 at 7:27 am
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've not heard anything about this, other than that the plan certainly was to have a new BA lounge in a plum position on the first floor of the new building. Normally when this happens the airport effectively pays for the work, given the disruption to the operations, so for example LGW South owes more to GAL's largesse than BA's.

For details of the construction work at Aberdeen, and a map of the proposed BA lounge, see here:

http://www.aberdeenairport.com/about...ransformation/

http://www.aberdeenairport.com/media...or-overall.jpg
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
If this true then our decision to switch our domestic flights to easyJet (bearing in mind BoB and Club Europe on domestics) seems fully justified. Oh yes, they tend to be cheaper too, Weren't the lounges in GLA and EDI only recently renovated?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
My info is from the horses-mouth so to say. Whilst the ABZ facility is almost built it may be incorporated into a larger shared lounge space, either way the current ABZ lounge shuts no later than August 6.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
If true the penny pinching continues.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Is there a BA source / article on this?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by redpalmetto
My info is from the horses-mouth so to say. Whilst the ABZ facility is almost built it may be incorporated into a larger shared lounge space, either way the current ABZ lounge shuts no later than August 6.
What is the horses position within BA/the lounge?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
If true the penny pinching continues.
Depends if a shared lounge had better facilities (eg a toilet) than the current individual offerings.

I've just this week redeemed domestic club to ABZ to return in early August specifically for lounge access with family.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:58 am

It would surely seem odd to introduce a new policy of closing domestic lounges just when they are re-introducing domestic CE.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Well that's a bit of bad news if that does come to fruition, which at this stage I personally can't see happening across the board, if anywhere.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

my source is within the airport operation, who are dealing direct with BA. Must emphasize the wider point on the domestic lounges is just a cost discussion point not a definite policy.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malkie
Depends if a shared lounge had better facilities (eg a toilet) than the current individual offerings.

I've just this week redeemed domestic club to ABZ to return in early August specifically for lounge access with family.
The new shared lounge, run by Compass, will be open by then. Worst case I suspect is BA will allow pax to use that when the existing lounge is closed (and it must be by Aug 6) and any new facility is not open.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've not heard anything about this, other than that the plan certainly was to have a new BA lounge in a plum position on the first floor of the new building. Normally when this happens the airport effectively pays for the work, given the disruption to the operations, so for example LGW South owes more to GAL's largesse than BA's.
I have a high level contact at the airport. I will ask and try to verify the OP's post.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I didn't see this coming and my first reaction was anger at more cuts. However, sharing the new area does make sense from a business/cost-cutting point of view - I'm sure the newly built lounge will be pretty nice anyway. No more bubbles on request though I would imagine.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Sounds like idle frequent talker (about flying) tittle tattle. I really don't see that contractors in Aberdeen would know such detail about BA strategy towards domestic operations (and the closure of all lounges). Plus it would seem really odd to remove lounges at a time when the airline is introducing a business class on domestic services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.