Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Riffer
Ever-generous BA giving Silver elites a £5 ($6.60) voucher. Usage restrictions include no alcohol nor duty free. Nor can it be used on-board.

Departed ABZ mid-afternoon 31 July, the first day of lounge closure: A landside restaurant refused to honour 'light refreshment' voucher on burger plus pint deal because the bundle included beer. Offered frank & forthright feedback to BA's check-in manager at ABZ. He promised to share all feedback with BA & I wasn't the first Silver flyer to complain about the voucher's low value & restrictions.

No end-date for BA's lounge closure has been set. ABZ is moving security into the area now used by BA's old lounge. It is troubling that ground staff has very little information and are not empowered to resolve complaints. ABZ charges £25 to access its shiny upstairs 'Northern Lights' Lounge (or £15 as Priority Pass guest). I expect a voucher to cover, at minimum, what I'd likely consume in a BA lounge (£15+, including any food & beverage). Ground staff explained to me that access to ABZ's lounge is restricted due to capacity issues. Since this airport fleeces passengers £2 to drive to the curb, IMHO BA and ABZ are just cutting costs and keeping space free for paid users in ABZ's multi-airline lounge. Very disappointing and yet another reason to avoid BA at ABZ.
Ouch. I knew there would be fireworks when further details of what Silvers got became known. £5 is a pitiful and the fact that you can't even get a pint with the voucher is ridiculous. I'm not actually sure what you can get for a £5 at ABZ - a Boots meal deal perhaps or maybe a coffee at the bar. The date for the new ABZ lounge opening should be around May next year - a hell of a long time if, as Silver, you get booted out of the lounge to wait with the masses.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Not much wonder they wanted to keep that quiet, it's disgraceful, I like "lounge access" for the "lounge access"!
Sometimes I don't eat and drink - rarely I'll admit - but it's the actual lounge I like, and have qualified for through gaining Silver. Ok I'm Gold now, but I have friends and family who are Silver and are really disappointed. Very poor decision BA - again.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
One Silver friend has asked about guests. £5 each or between two? I think I know the answer...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
One Silver friend has asked about guests. £5 each or between two? I think I know the answer...
I'd like to say each but I think I would be being too generous.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:14 am

On a more positive note, I really like the new Northern Lights lounge: the décor is elegant, the service friendly and competent as ever, and the F&B offering good (my husband is particularly looking forward to the Lorne sausage on his next visit ). Speaking to one of the staff members, they too prefer it to the previous 'cave' (her description). It's certainly lovely having runway views.

It does seem a bit off not to give Silver members access considering the size of the lounge, but I suppose numbers, especially combined with presumably high numbers of KL/LH members at ABZ, might present capacity problems at times. However, surely access could be restricted - as it is currently in other lounges, in theory, at least - at busy times, and vouchers issued then if necessary?

Last edited by ABZGirl; Aug 1, 2017 at 9:21 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by ABZGirl
On a more positive note, I really like the new Northern Lights lounge: the décor is elegant, the service friendly and competent as ever, and the F&B offering good (my husband is particularly looking forward to the Lorne sausage on his next visit ). Speaking to one of the staff members, they too prefer it to the previous 'cave' (her description). It's certainly lovely having runway views.

It does seem a bit off not to give Silver members access considering the size of the lounge, but I suppose numbers, especially combined with presumably high numbers of KL/LH members at ABZ, might present capacity problems at times. However, surely access could be restricted - as it is currently in other lounges, in theory, at least - at busy times, and vouchers issued then if necessary?
You'd think so, wouldn't you? I'm thinking between 12-3 when I don't think there are usually any KL/AF/LH flights. But then I suppose that would be, in effect, one rule for Silvers who fly at one time and another for those who fly at a different time. You'll never keep everyone happy. Well apart from us Golds who get access
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by stu1985
You'd think so, wouldn't you? I'm thinking between 12-3 when I don't think there are usually any KL/AF/LH flights. But then I suppose that would be, in effect, one rule for Silvers who fly at one time and another for those who fly at a different time. You'll never keep everyone happy. Well apart from us Golds who get access
+1 on this. There is such a system at the DUS Hugo Junkers lounge which is often busy. However at least BA are going ahead with the new facility albeit in May. As I posted previously up thread it was under real risk.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by redpalmetto
As I posted previously up thread it was under real risk.
According to my source at the airport, it was never at risk.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redpalmetto
+1 on this. There is such a system at the DUS Hugo Junkers lounge which is often busy. However at least BA are going ahead with the new facility albeit in May. As I posted previously up thread it was under real risk.
Yes, you need to get better sources
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA
I flew BA out of ABZ today and was able to sample the temporary lounge offering 'The Northern Lights'. I was extremely impressed to be honest - both for the food and drink offerings, particularly focusing on locally sourced options. I can potentially see why BA have limited it to CE and Gold passengers - there's plenty of space, but I imagine the cost per head is large.

I managed to span the breakfast and lunch offerings, which were a significant improvement on what we used to get downstairs in Terraces. Would have been nice to try some of the Brewdog beers, but was driving upon arrival.

Staff were friendly, and the entire place was spotless. I'm including a few photos as I don't think anyone has posted any yet.

Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by malkie
I'm including a few photos as I don't think anyone has posted any yet.
Wow! That was incredibly comprehensive - cheers for that!

I'll be swinging by the lounge on Thursday. If it hasn't been answered on this thread by then, I'll also ask about the rules surrounding guests - i.e. can BAEC Gold still invite a guest in, and do BAEC Silver members get two vouchers, or just one...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looks pretty good. ^

Apart from the fry-up that is. The tattie scone especially looks peely-wally.
AndDee likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:58 pm

Wow! Best BA lounge in the network now....?! Hehehehe
AndDee likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by stu1985
Wow! Best BA lounge in the network now....?! Hehehehe
Apart from the fact it's a 3rd party lounge
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Looks pretty good. ^

Apart from the fry-up that is. The tattie scone especially looks peely-wally.
Is the chef English? Triangle sausage isn't my bag.

Anyway some solace for us in the disappointment Golds are going to feel next May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.