Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward F encounters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
The last time it happened the boot was on the other foot. I was one of the Y pax walking through an already boarded CE cabin and felt rather sorry for the money/avios they'd paid for less legroom than I had in an exit row.
^
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
My wife drives a 10 year old car worth about $2K, and I bought my aged mom's car for $5. We love to see really nice, expensive cars but aren't jealous of those who drive them; we're happy for them, but prefer to spend our money elsewhere. Same with F/J: if we can get the seat cheap or with points, great, but otherwise congratulations to you, from the back!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by bibbju

It's happened to me a few times (not just on BA). I find it quite amusing that some of the passengers passing through seem to assume that those of us in F/J are deaf as they make their various (sometimes blatantly envious) comments. We can hear you!!
Same here - once on BA, once on LH (both times LHR-FRA), both times in row 1, both times reward tickets.

On BA, a child said to his mother - 'Oooh Mummy, can we sit here?'. Mother responds - 'No these seats are for the rich people'.

On LH, a similar conversation between child and father. Father's response - 'People who pay to sit here have more money than sense'.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Same here - once on BA, once on LH (both times LHR-FRA), both times in row 1, both times reward tickets.

On BA, a child said to his mother - 'Oooh Mummy, can we sit here?'. Mother responds - 'No these seats are for the rich people'.

On LH, a similar conversation between child and father. Father's response - 'People who pay to sit here have more money than sense'.
I agree with that. It's nuts paying something like £2500+ for a flat bed on a plane for a few hours. Ok, it's your money to spend as you want and I'm probably no better in some respects but I personally can do a lot with that sort of money.
Happy to blow 1000s of Avios on a F seat but there's no way, short of being a multi-millionaire, that I would ever spend that amount of money on an aircraft seat.

Last time I flew F from JFK, they boarded via 1L as with the OP. Pain trying to get my case into the seat cupboard with a constant stream of people.
Got a few looks but a mixture of snugness (even if a redemption) and being appreciative of having the space as I do know what Y is like as I travel back there a bit.
Had the same on a CX flight when I was in F (HKG-LAX I think). Everyone boarded through 1L.

Do sometimes get looks when flying F domestically on AA. Maybe because I'm not suited up whilst most around me are.
It's good knowing that I probably paid less for a multi-sector TP run in F that I'm on than they did for their Y fare.

Last edited by xenole; Feb 2, 2017 at 4:47 am
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I'very had it once in F on long haul but had my head phones so didn't notice any comments.

It is common on the AA narrow body fleet to have comments from people passing through, especially when the cabin crew ask the to hold a minute while they do the PDB. The worst I have seen though was a group of adults (approx 30 years old), seeing some empty seats sayang "sod row 20 just sit here, they can't make us move". Sure enough they were kicked out complaining the entire time.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Diver Boy
"sod row 20 just sit here, they can't make us move". Sure enough they were kicked out complaining the entire time.
I'm perplexed by this approach. Do they honestly believe no one is going to a) notice and b) tell them to move
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Awkward? Hell no! I live for those moments. It makes the champagne taste all the better and is one of the perks...even if few admit it.

In the US, the muttered phrase is "Must be nice..". I have been known to mutter "It is" in response a few times.
I've done (and still do) plenty of time in the back of the bus as well, so when I'm up front you're darn right I'm enjoying it to the max!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's only happened to me on TAM flights. I just keep my head down and read a mag until the cattle drive is over.

I used to hate having to go through a premium cabin when flying economy long haul as it just made me feel even more miserable at the prospect of having to spend 13 hours in a place I didn't want to be.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Must admit that I do like people watching when they have to walk through a premium cabin.
On AA in particular, other than seeing members of the opposite sex, it's quite amazing seeing a near endless stream of people going past you with everything but the kitchen sink and wondering how on earth they're got to fit back there.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by krispy84
I'm perplexed by this approach. Do they honestly believe no one is going to a) notice and b) tell them to move
I was amazed by their attitude, then I've also heard people complaining and asking why they never get assigned those seats.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:47 am

I am neutral on that experience. I'm normally reading something or dozing. From time to time I find myself absent minded and watching main cabin passengers board out of boredom. Most of the time they joke amongst themselves or say things like "those are nice seats" or "is this us?"

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I think most F passengers enjoy this experience, but I've never had the opportunity to find out for myself
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

ON AA: a mother to her two kids "This is where we'd be sitting if Daddy really loved us"
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Not a premium cabin, but I was sat in the old single WT+ throne on the 747 from JNB-LHR a few years ago when a guy I vaguely know from back home (friend of a friend) came down the aisle towards me. He stopped in the emergency exit (aka my capacious legroom) for a chat before continuing to economy.

A few weeks later I bumped into our mutual friend and he greeted me with some comment about how I'd been seen flying in first class.

I appreciate that the person who saw me might not be aware of what other types of seat are available other than Y, but he had just walked through J before reaching me, so gawd only knows what class he though that was!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by AAlwaysAmerican
From time to time I find myself absent minded and watching main cabin passengers board out of boredom. Most of the time they joke amongst themselves or say things like "those are nice seats" or "is this us?"
Or continually check their BP against the row number on the long trudge back to row 57.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I've only had this happen once - not a very common occurrence at all.

Just let them know next time that there's not really that big of a difference between BA F and Y. Bigger seat, same service, marginally more edible food, at a much higher price tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.