Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward F encounters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
Awkward F encounters

Hi all,

I meant to post about this a while ago (flight was >1yr ago) but it slipped my mind until a recent conversation with a friend..

My wife and I were on our first trip in BA F flying back from JFK-LHR a while ago on a 777. We were among the first to board the aircraft and were shown to our seats and served drinks etc.

Shortly after, passengers traveling in all classes (judging from the sheer volume of people) were boarded via the door at the front of the F cabin and then walking through F to get to their seats/cabins.

As it was our first visit to The Big Apple, I'm not sure how BA usually manage boarding there (perhaps there was a technical/logistical reason) but it made me feel quite awkward, sitting there in a spacious seat drinking champagne while people that were about to spent 7 hours cramped down the back walked past staring at us, with at least two mutterings of "Lucky gits" to be heard.

The queuing passengers were also stopped at the door several times and made to wait while the cabin crew served drinks to F passengers which made the situation feel even worse.

Perhaps I was just being overly sensitive but I wondered if other people had experienced similar situations and if they also felt a little awkward...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:53 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Same happens with people walking through Club, or even WTP (for those who realise it's not WT).

I just feel more smug.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by davrossuk
Perhaps I was just being overly sensitive but I wondered if other people had experienced similar situations and if they also felt a little awkward...
Perhaps, yes, and no. Now you don't have to wave your DYKWIA card, because they already know.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I think you're being overly sensitive. I wouldn't worry about it. I suspect there was a technical reason for it.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I think most F passengers enjoy this experience, but I've never had the opportunity to find out for myself
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I think it happens more often than not, that Y passengers have to pass through the premium cabin. Sometimes because of the aircraft model/configuration, some others for technical reasons (like not working bridges on A380 boarding).

It reminds me how lucky I am, being able to flying J/F long haul.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:05 am

Bah - Let them buy M&S Cake
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by golfmad
I think you're being overly sensitive. I wouldn't worry about it. I suspect there was a technical reason for it.
Agreed.

I cannot remember this occurring in F on many flights so it may have been an airport issue of some kind. I suspect BA make efforts to avoid this situation happening too often.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flyingturkey
Bah - Let them buy M&S Cake

Live and let live. If people are silly enough to be jealous then too bad for them really...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Maybe it will inspire someone from the back of the bus to achieve something great in life so that they too can sit up front someday
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Platinum Prem (Life Plat), Hilton Diamond, A Club
It is sometimes annoying if the pre-departure Champagne is delayed, but I have never felt it to be awkward and I don't recall it happening often.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Relax haha I for one don't like resentful people and actually enjoy slumming it in the back! I think of all the money I have saved. So many other places to blow your money!

So if I see you sitting in F while I walk to WT, I will give you a friendly wave, not one of jealousy!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As crew we hate boarding all customers through door 1 left, it does feel awkward but sometimes cannot be avoided.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Smile

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Maybe it will inspire someone from the back of the bus to achieve something great in life so that they too can sit up front someday
Or start collecting Avios to enjoy the experience!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
It's happened to me a few times (not just on BA). I find it quite amusing that some of the passengers passing through seem to assume that those of us in F/J are deaf as they make their various (sometimes blatantly envious) comments. We can hear you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.