Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward F encounters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
I was sitting in business on a Qatar 787 - economy was boarding at the back of the business cabin.

A mother with her daughter let out a very loud "wow" when she saw the J seats. A good reminder that I was extremely fortunate to be sitting where I was - I try to always bear that in mind when I'm moaning about something travel related.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Some people would say that that was the best part of the whole flight experience!!!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by fraisse10
ON AA: a mother to her two kids "This is where we'd be sitting if Daddy really loved us"
Man! Coffee just went through my nose! Thanks...

As people said so many times in other threads - all is a matter of perspective, balance and priorities.

At present I wouldn't spend more than approx. £1000 for 8+hrs rtn flight/multicity/decent miles earnings, or £1500 for ultra long haul multicity (and that's only a couple times a year), but I suspect this limit will go up in the future, so certainly would not judge someone who's now spending much, much more than I am.

Re: OP, I don't really feel awkward but I am often sorry for people who pay almost as much for their summer/holiday time trips in economy as others for business.

So if I haven't said this already - thank you Flyertalk!

​​
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by woglet86
I was sitting in business on a Qatar 787 - economy was boarding at the back of the business cabin.

A mother with her daughter let out a very loud "wow" when she saw the J seats. A good reminder that I was extremely fortunate to be sitting where I was - I try to always bear that in mind when I'm moaning about something travel related.
This happens a lot, I hear people say, "one day I am going to be rich and fly first class," as they walk to the back.

My belief is the Universe believes in ACTION, or the act of an intention, it has no concept of money or zeros... Most of the people in the first class cabin used upgrades, miles, got a free upgrade, corporate discounts, and of course, paid a full-fare first class ticket. The people passing by on their way to coach should be saying (intention) "I want to fly this way." And then see how the system works to fly first class (action) without having to pay first class.

Most of us are living proof of the above - flying in premium cabins without paying the premium price.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:12 am

Not just BA problem. Happened to me in other airlines too. Usually a gate issue where they can only hook one bridge at the first door. I hate that feeling too and i just grab a book/magazine and read. Just tryvto block out all the stares
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
What is more brutally funny is when someone is soooo angry that they didn't get their automatic AA frequent flyer upgrade to first because some damn people actually PAID for the seat!!!

Obviously we weren't playing the game.

They stuffed their overhead into first class bins, and their friend who got the upgrade gave them their drink and they slunk back to economy.

We, however, were on a £1100 ex-DUB HNL run, so that leg probably cost us buttons. Probably less than they paid... Joy!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
I fly biz pretty regularly but haven't done F yet although mainly because my long haul used to be with VS. But you guys clearly have more money than sense
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:29 am

I have had this loads of times it was standard when people left/boarded on the abu dhabi leg of the flight to Oman.

Best was in Virgin UC. Getting off and held up. A girl of about 10 in PE said to her mum-look at that (UC) I want to fly in there. Her mum replied- well you need to marry a rich man when you grow up.

I said - or you could do what I did and work hard, go to university, get a good job and pay for it yourself. The cabin crew burst out laughing and he said- quite right- and I felt a bit mean.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by benjai
I fly biz pretty regularly but haven't done F yet although mainly because my long haul used to be with VS. But you guys clearly have more money than sense
Some of us fly there as we have more sense than money and know how to get in there cheap.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flibbly
I appreciate that the person who saw me might not be aware of what other types of seat are available other than Y, but he had just walked through J before reaching me, so gawd only knows what class he though that was!
My favorite is when you're, say, on a 777 that doesn't have F, but has two zones of J, behind door 1 and 2, and they're boarding through 1L, and you're sitting in the second zone, and one passenger comments to the other how this must be business class while that was first class they just walked through. Even though the seats were exactly the same.

Some people just aren't that observant about this type of stuff.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I have had this loads of times it was standard when people left/boarded on the abu dhabi leg of the flight to Oman.

Best was in Virgin UC. Getting off and held up. A girl of about 10 in PE said to her mum-look at that (UC) I want to fly in there. Her mum replied- well you need to marry a rich man when you grow up.

I said - or you could do what I did and work hard, go to university, get a good job and pay for it yourself. The cabin crew burst out laughing and he said- quite right- and I felt a bit mean.
Well said!!!! ^^
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:11 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by davrossuk
The queuing passengers were also stopped at the door several times and made to wait while the cabin crew served drinks to F passengers which made the situation feel even worse.
This never happens to me, the crew have always waited until there was a gap in the passengers boarding before serving drinks...
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:45 pm

I was flying from CDG-PHL on a AA A330 luckily the jetway was in between J and Y. but when i was deboarding the plane taking my good old time as I am walking out I see the FA's holding economy back while Business Deboards, and I just saw everybody staring at me, anxiously trying to get off the plane.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by Tariq Babieh
I was flying from CDG-PHL on a AA A330 luckily the jetway was in between J and Y. but when i was deboarding the plane taking my good old time as I am walking out I see the FA's holding economy back while Business Deboards, and I just saw everybody staring at me, anxiously trying to get off the plane.
This! I rush to get my stuff sorted and get out - when in economy, I can just sit and wait - not quite until the cleaning crew board, though
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Air rage? Blame the first-class cabin

so if all the passengers board through 1L, was it more likely that an air rage incident would occur?

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/...st-class-cabin

i think this was discussed here eons ago but couldn't help but be reminded of it with this thread.

I remember the first time I flew CW shortly after BA introduced the lie-flat seats. I was in an aisle seat of the first row of the lower cabin on the 747 and all the WT were boarding. There was a couple with a young boy and they were stopped beside my seat for what felt like an eternity. The boy was staring at me, the seat, and the cabin. I felt extremely uncomfortable. I haven't flown downstairs since!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.