Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward F encounters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by davrossuk
Hi all,

I meant to post about this a while ago (flight was >1yr ago) but it slipped my mind until a recent conversation with a friend..

My wife and I were on our first trip in BA F flying back from JFK-LHR a while ago on a 777. We were among the first to board the aircraft and were shown to our seats and served drinks etc.

Shortly after, passengers traveling in all classes (judging from the sheer volume of people) were boarded via the door at the front of the F cabin and then walking through F to get to their seats/cabins.

As it was our first visit to The Big Apple, I'm not sure how BA usually manage boarding there (perhaps there was a technical/logistical reason) but it made me feel quite awkward, sitting there in a spacious seat drinking champagne while people that were about to spent 7 hours cramped down the back walked past staring at us, with at least two mutterings of "Lucky gits" to be heard.

The queuing passengers were also stopped at the door several times and made to wait while the cabin crew served drinks to F passengers which made the situation feel even worse.

Perhaps I was just being overly sensitive but I wondered if other people had experienced similar situations and if they also felt a little awkward...
I've never had this happen, but it would certainly be a bit inconvenient. One of the small touches that makes F more special than C is the quiet and calm during boarding as most Y passengers pass through the C cabin to get to their seats. The only time this could have potentially happened on one of my flights the crew just boarded F last.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Relax. Just because people may comment in passing that you're lucky, or they wish they were sitting up front, it doesn't mean they are judging you personally or wishing you ill will. Just have another sip of your champagne!
And you never know... a lot of us might be snickering, knowing how much you probably paid to sit in a BA premium cabin
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
In this instance I would have held my champagne in one hand while using the other to squeeze my nose and say "PU" as the coach passengers passed by.
Thanks for the laugh!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:59 pm

Flying back from MRU in CW one couple walked past us (possibly on honeymoon) commenting 'how come all these kids get to fly first class and we don't!)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by kabroui
And you never know... a lot of us might be snickering, knowing how much you probably paid to sit in a BA premium cabin
How much I spend in Tesco is my own business!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
This inevitably happens on AA's A321T where all boarding is always through L1 passing through F and J. I intentionally board that aircraft last in order to avoid being stared at. It's just a bit weird!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I've had this in J on other airlines and it does feel a little odd to have people looking at you as you sip a pre-departure drink. Even more so when CC interrupt the flow of passengers to give you a top-up. I wonder if we feel it more because of hightened British class consciousness?

The last time it happened the boot was on the other foot. I was one of the Y pax walking through an already boarded CE cabin and felt rather sorry for the money/avios they'd paid for less legroom than I had in an exit row.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
I've had this in J on other airlines and it does feel a little odd to have people looking at you as you sip a pre-departure drink. Even more so when CC interrupt the flow of passengers to give you a top-up. I wonder if we feel it more because of hightened British class consciousness?

The last time it happened the boot was on the other foot. I was one of the Y pax walking through an already boarded CE cabin and felt rather sorry for the money/avios they'd paid for less legroom than I had in an exit row.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by higham44
Or start collecting Avios to enjoy the experience!
As someone who has taken just over 100 flights with BA and amassed 40,000 Avios points (including about 8,000 transfered in from hotels). Where can I fly F?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davrossuk
but it made me feel quite awkward, sitting there in a spacious seat drinking champagne while people that were about to spent 7 hours cramped down the back walked past staring at us, with at least two mutterings of "Lucky gits" to be heard.
Awkward? Hell no! I live for those moments. It makes the champagne taste all the better and is one of the perks...even if few admit it.

In the US, the muttered phrase is "Must be nice..". I have been known to mutter "It is" in response a few times.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Awkward? Hell no! I live for those moments. It makes the champagne taste all the better and is one of the perks...even if few admit it.

In the US, the muttered phrase is "Must be nice..". I have been known to mutter "It is" in response a few times.
I agree, everyone has the opportunity if they work for it. So those that do, enjoy! I'll be right with you sipping the bubbly. ^

To the OP, it's only awkward if you let it be.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:00 pm

Best response I've seen by someone enduring the shuffle through business on the way to the back was when a young chap waved his economy BP at me in passing and said "Hey, want to swap?" -- chuckles were had by all.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
It's only awkward if you haven't had time to change into your FIRST Pyjamas
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:14 pm

Flew MAN-LHR the other day on a Mid-Haul 321 and heard a fair few mutterings - my favourite being 'Well I'm certainly not on Easyjet anymore'.

Felt all the sweeter not having paid for it
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:21 pm

If you want awkward. 6 years ago when me and my partner were hitting our late 20s we were sitting at NBO having arrived from DAR on Swiss (stopover). We were in C waiting when two women in their 60s walk past us and start talking to my partner in German in which he happens to be conversational. As they were queuing she went: "how do you afford sit here; you're so young - it shouldn't be possible". If you want awkward - please explain to 30-49 year old age difference how you can afford business. (My partner said we had been in DAR for business...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.