Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward F encounters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by davrossuk
Perhaps I was just being overly sensitive but I wondered if other people had experienced similar situations and if they also felt a little awkward...
I upgrade to F every chance I get, so you are definitely being overly sensitive, at least in my opinion. Next time, avoid the awkwardness and stay in economy class. You won't feel awkward and you will have made my day if I get your seat.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I once returned from Dubai on the 02:30 ish flight. It was the late 90s and one of the early A type 777s I was flying in Y as the BA courier, so was one of the last on board. Boarding was through door 1 and First was full, all 17 seats taken by a large Arab family with the exception of one seat, occupied by a Brit looking horrified at all the noise and kids.
CW, with 70 seats (before WTP..) ... was also packed. I slipped through the curtain to Y which was only a third full, and had three seats to myself. .... After take off, seat arms up, stretch out and sleep. One of my best flights ever.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Was flying to SYD many years ago with my wife. I had 2A she had 2K. during the night and after quite a bit to drink, I visited the facilities and returned to my seat via her side of the aircraft. As I pulled back the curtain I noted that her light was on. We had not been long married so having approached from the galley on the 747 I bent around the seat to kiss her ......only to find it was 3K and some else entirely!!

Not sure who got the bigger shock...but the female passenger was not amused.

My wife slept on a few feet in front as I retreated from a very awkward F close encounter.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"Should have gone to SpecSavers" moment
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:48 pm

A poor crew on a B777 once let the J passengers into the F cabin before the front door had opened. It was horrible; they poured in like a swarm of locusts and got in the way awfully. Rather like the till queues at my local Tesco.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BenSenise
Conversely, I know of a few extremely wealthy people, i.e. 100s of millions, who fly Y. I can't understand it though.
Maybe some people just like to feel normal for a change. The constant extravagance can be dull sometimes.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Maybe some people just like to feel normal for a change. The constant extravagance can be dull sometimes.
I had a rich Uncle, who to my Aunt's amazement went and bought a camera on hire purchase (back in the early 60s, I guess). When asked "Why?" his response was along the lines of "I was just tired of being able to buy anything I wanted, instantly."
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by firstclassnewbie
I think it's far less crass and a better example to set than the comment it was in response to.

I would certainly be more encouraging of my own daughter to work hard and earn the ability and independance to fly a premium cabin rather than marry someone with those means.

Yes, people can work hard and not manage the financial means to fly a premiun cabin, but they can use their resources and intelligence find a way to fly a premium cabin without having to dig so deeply into their pockets.
Both comments were crass. But only the respondent attempted to moralise and criticise.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
When BA was having the Christmas sales I was able to fly in CW for less than a WT seat. I'd call it partly lucky, and partly smart to fly in comfort for less money than economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.