Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward F encounters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by davrossuk
Hi all,

I meant to post about this a while ago (flight was >1yr ago) but it slipped my mind until a recent conversation with a friend..

My wife and I were on our first trip in BA F flying back from JFK-LHR a while ago on a 777. We were among the first to board the aircraft and were shown to our seats and served drinks etc.

Shortly after, passengers traveling in all classes (judging from the sheer volume of people) were boarded via the door at the front of the F cabin and then walking through F to get to their seats/cabins.

As it was our first visit to The Big Apple, I'm not sure how BA usually manage boarding there (perhaps there was a technical/logistical reason) but it made me feel quite awkward, sitting there in a spacious seat drinking champagne while people that were about to spent 7 hours cramped down the back walked past staring at us, with at least two mutterings of "Lucky gits" to be heard.

The queuing passengers were also stopped at the door several times and made to wait while the cabin crew served drinks to F passengers which made the situation feel even worse.

Perhaps I was just being overly sensitive but I wondered if other people had experienced similar situations and if they also felt a little awkward...
Once I had a toddler run into the cabin and sat in a Business Class seat next to mine. His mother came scurrying behind with bags telling him to keep moving - It's clear they had been travelling for a while and had a further 8h to go. For a moment there I felt like giving them a break and swapping seats!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by technical_bob
Best response I've seen by someone enduring the shuffle through business on the way to the back was when a young chap waved his economy BP at me in passing and said "Hey, want to swap?" -- chuckles were had by all.

Had a similar episode when two of us were sitting in J on a MEL>BNE flight. A couple walked through J to Y and the bloke says "Hey, happy to swap!". I looked up and said "Hey, that's my sister you're talking about".
Got a few laughs.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:12 pm

Not long ago, we were sitting up front and a very casually dressed and poorly groomed young man on his way to the back of the plane said, "must be nice," in a somewhat sarcastic tone as he passed by.

"Eek!" replied my partner. "The coach class people!"

La luttle des classes? La guerre n'est pas finie.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:22 pm

Was in the front of the cabin during a PHX-ORD flight. One guy boarding the plane said "look at these people in first class, money is not a problem". Everyone in F ignored him.

I don't put too much thought into it as I'm always on my phone during the boarding process.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by liamrugby
I've this a handful of times at JFK on the 777 and never anywhere else. Bizarrely it's also the only route i've consistently been able to convince the crew to give me wine before take off instead of champagne (after dinner in the CCR i usually prefer a couple of glasses of bordeaux then bed than more champagne).

The last i time it happened I was in 1a as the rest of the plane boarded past me and the crew had left the bottle of red on my side table for me to help myself which made for even weirder looks than usual. Most awkward i've ever felt on a plane!
OMG that is hilarious!!! Love it!!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:58 pm

My response is "you can sit here if you want to pay for the ticket". It's not about restricting people, it's about what are you willing to pay for the ticket.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:13 pm

This post about general boarding through F on LX should put the OP's experience into perspective.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Put me in the camp of prefer to board last. JFK does tend to have a few gates at T7 that seem to only be positioned to board from 1L.

Usually not a problem for the F pax on the 747s but seems they haven't worked out how to optimize gate assignments for the evening departures to avoid this for the 777.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jmj9905
My response is "you can sit here if you want to pay for the ticket". It's not about restricting people, it's about what are you willing to pay for the ticket.
Taxes and fees. That is all I pay you, sir.

Ever since I got into churning, I try to fly J class any chance I get on long hauls international flights. Totally fine with economy on domestic though.

Originally Posted by macabus
This post about general boarding through F on LX should put the OP's experience into perspective.
I flew in economy to FRA a couple of years ago and there was these two nice 50+ year old ladies sitting next to me (I had window seat) telling me that it was their first time going out of the US.

So it is not an uncommon to assume that there's going to be at least a few pax who only know what domestic F/J recliner seats look like and have never seen the massive seats F class gets on long hauls. I'm willing to bet that many people wouldn't believe if you said J class seats that they pass during regular boarding are actually lie flats on many airlines.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:38 pm

I never get envious...but some of the smugness in this thread is quite something.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
I've never had this happen, but it would certainly be a bit inconvenient. One of the small touches that makes F more special than C is the quiet and calm during boarding as most Y passengers pass through the C cabin to get to their seats. The only time this could have potentially happened on one of my flights the crew just boarded F last.
^+1 Exactly. I just like the peace and calm of pre boarding. People bumping into you when boarding and making comments amongst themselves I can do without. Having the drink doesn't bother me or what they think, but I don't like being starred at by the masses walking by, especially when the line stops at your seat.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I've been flying a very long time, mostly in the USA, and I've seen a few envious looks but have never heard anyone actually say anything, except once from a kid about 8 walking through First on a 3-class. Upon entering the F cabin, he was dutifully wide-eyed and said something like "Whoa!", which brought a chuckle from everyone around.

Oh and then a couple times kids have jumped into an empty First seat, thinking it was first-come first-serve like the school bus perhaps
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:55 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ReallyNotFrequentFlyer
I never get envious...but some of the smugness in this thread is quite something made up.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:08 am

This seemed to happen nearly every time I flew back in F from Abu Dhabi (in the days when I flew BA). On more than one occasion a couple would walk past and say, "Are these seats all for one person?" Someone once even said, "This is disgusting when there's so little space in Economy." I never responded because 1) it was 2 in the morning and all I wanted was my bed and 2) what would it have accomplished?

I never felt embarrassed or awkward though. I've worked very hard in life to be able to travel in F for work.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: Some
Might I suggest you all steer well clear of the AA 321T then? This is the standard boarding procedure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.