Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Bar Operator

I've not heard anything about the potential for pre-ordering BOB. In the meantime, if you want a guaranteed snack or drink on the plane I would consider purchasing something from the vendors at the airport, where available. ..................................Unfortunately the Company have still not got round to loading sufficient stocks of food and drink onboard, and I have my doubts whether they ever will, especially on the higher demand routes.

Agreed : I think if they were going to get it right, they would have done so by now, around 14 months in.

Hard to know whether the inadequate stocking often reported is down to BA, their suppliers M&S, Tourvest as the ‘operator’ of BoB - or perhaps a combination of all three. Whichever it may be, the fact remains that British Airways is the name on the side of all the aircraft, and are the people who ultimately pocket the money from your fare.

Wasn’t aware of the EasyJet pre-order option, but it does sound good. My own best BoB pre-order experience has been on Air Asia (aboard which hot meals, as many will know, are commendable in terms of quality+efficiency+choice+value).

As much as BA would do well to take a leaf from EasyJet’s approach to catering .... just can’t see it happening any time soon.

adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:24 pm

On two recent flights I bought a cup of tea and asked for a cup of tap water. There was a minimum interaction on the flight operated by Eurofleet (Always thought that EF was better) and no smiles. Even the requested water was ignored.

The second flight operated by MF was much better. The service was friendly but the request for water was forgotten but later I had a possibility to ask once again and it was brought immediately. In this flight the CSM came to welcome me as a Gold member and even asked if I liked to have coffee or tea or something else from up front. After hesitation I asked if a glass of champagne was an option she smiled and brought it to me. During deplaning she said good bye and see you soon.

I don’t want to generalize and I admit that there can be both great and bad crews both in the the eurofleet and MF. The service of free tap water is not Well organized. I think that champagne helped but even without that the interaction by the crew can be a hit or a miss. If I had not bought anything the only interaction would have been by the door.
lostinlondon likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
It may be that Mixed Fleet have a slight advantage in delivering the BoB Service over EuroFleet. They may have worked for other BoB airlines in the past or simply never known the previous complementary offer.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I have just returned on flying with TAP Portugal which is classified as a full service carrier. On the short haul service to Porto from LGW return the offering was lackluster to say the least. Both ways it consisted of a roll, sweet and a drink. Departing from Gatwick you also an additional 'frais' drink included as well. Their bar was very basic and you had the option of a splash of coke, juice, wine, tea, coffee, water. Given my experience of this and BA BoB I would still take the BoB as I felt it was better overall.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Just when I thought they had sorted out their problems with not stocking enough goods.....on mylast two flights they only had one bottle of the cheap red wine (I like two) and on both flights the cabin crew advised me that had been the norm recently for them. I had to buy the two (more expensive) bottles instead.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Fourth flight this month without the basic red wine on board.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tuff
Fourth flight this month without the basic red wine on board.
Had that LHR-NCE on Friday. CC said they hadn't seen it for days. Frustrating to have to pay more for something which effectively - at altitude - has no difference in quality, only price.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by lostinlondon
Had that LHR-NCE on Friday. CC said they hadn't seen it for days. Frustrating to have to pay more for something which effectively - at altitude - has no difference in quality, only price.
Are you are referring to those two specific wines? It is just that if you are making a wider point, then I wouldn't agree, as what would have been the point of the Concorde Cellar or indeed any of the finer wines in F...?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
No hot food available CPH-LHR last Thursday evening.
It was a rammed-full A321 with only 5 or 6 rows of CE - so about as many ET pax as BA can get on a shorthaul service (other than the 767s), and apparently all of the hot food was consumed on the outbound flight. Could have been a real moneyspinner for BA if they'd been a little more brave about how much they loaded onto the flight.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Are you are referring to those two specific wines? It is just that if you are making a wider point, then I wouldn't agree, as what would have been the point of the Concorde Cellar or indeed any of the finer wines in F...?
I am indeed referring to the 'El Cheapo' GSM and 'Bargain Basement' Shiraz :P
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
It was a rammed-full A321 with only 5 or 6 rows of CE - so about as many ET pax as BA can get on a shorthaul service (other than the 767s), and apparently all of the hot food was consumed on the outbound flight. Could have been a real moneyspinner for BA if they'd been a little more brave about how much they loaded onto the flight.
Remember that this is nothing to do with service for customers or even earning money. This is only about removing a cost center, not having a liability and placing the financial risk of sales onto a third party. Flying short haul aircraft is now cheaper for BA, cost cutting is part of their DNA.
Grace B and hugolover like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Do you think BA cares about providing hot options for Economy passengers? The idea is to cram more seats on short-hauls, reduce galley space and stock as little as possible to avoid wastage. It is going to be hit and miss with BoB. Not that it is not like that in premium classes.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948
Do you think BA cares about providing hot options for Economy passengers? The idea is to cram more seats on short-hauls, reduce galley space and stock as little as possible to avoid wastage. It is going to be hit and miss with BoB. Not that it is not like that in premium classes.
So the logical extension is that BA won't provide any options going forward? That would resolve the galley space issue in a stroke. At the moment it's a poor experience which is neither one thing nor another.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by CaroFos
Where I shall be getting my lemon melt fix!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/d/87d/Island...+island+bakery
Originally Posted by MickV
Oh for the love of a lemon melt.
For all you lemon melt lovers out there... it seems there is ample stock in the meeting rooms of Norton Rose in More London. I may have partaken yesterday
Mapman and CaroFos like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
BA1434 last Friday, moderately full B767, crew got as far as Row 32 before the 10 minutes to landing call....
It's amateur hour frankly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.