Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Exec
I’m seeing more and more people bringing Pret bags on board. Perhaps that will reduce the time it takes Crew to serve other customers.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I've paid for refreshments with Avios three times on flights and only charged once. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old May 24, 2018, 6:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I've paid for refreshments with Avios three times on flights and only charged once. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Yes, it's quite common - see approximately 1100 posts ago. I assume it's a BAEC perk. However to be fair. sometimes it just takes many weeks to show up.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Amex Platinum
Cheese obsession

Just wondered if anyone had noticed the BA/M&S BoB cheese obsession. Literally since BoB started (with the exception of the first brochure which had a nice beef/onion relish one) - every single BA sandwich has cheese in it. Every single one. Bacon sandwich doesn't count.... I've commented to the crew 3-4 times - and they are surprised themselves when they read through the menu.

Appreciate most people love cheese, but not me.
florens and lavajava like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by samthemainman
Just wondered if anyone had noticed the BA/M&S BoB cheese obsession. Literally since BoB started (with the exception of the first brochure which had a nice beef/onion relish one) - every single BA sandwich has cheese in it. Every single one. Bacon sandwich doesn't count.... I've commented to the crew 3-4 times - and they are surprised themselves when they read through the menu.

I noted that too.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Best to bring your own sandwich with you.

Bit of tuna and two slices of bread is all you need.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by smokie36
Best to bring your own sandwich with you.

Bit of tuna and two slices of bread is all you need.
I like a nice tuna sandwich. Sitting next to someone eating one, not so much. They sure can honk, although not as much as the chips and nuggets on Ryanair.

Hoping BA/M&S vary the line up a bit in future.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by samthemainman
Just wondered if anyone had noticed the BA/M&S BoB cheese obsession.
This is to match the cheese-heavy CE service where they've served cheese tortellini, cheese and crackers and for dessert a cheesecake. Fortunately, I like cheese, but this seems unbalanced.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've always been charged without exception! Sadly... I still think that paying for a cup of tea is out of order however
Old May 24, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I've always been charged without exception! Sadly... I still think that paying for a cup of tea is out of order however
The first "non-charge" was on the first day of BoB. The most recent one was just over a week ago, I'll update this thread if I do see it posting. The CC member entering my BAEC number did have to put his glasses on to read the number from my card, maybe he typed it in wrong
Old May 24, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
The first "non-charge" was on the first day of BoB. The most recent one was just over a week ago, I'll update this thread if I do see it posting. The CC member entering my BAEC number did have to put his glasses on to read the number from my card, maybe he typed it in wrong
It's rumoured if they can't make out your number they just enter cws number as they reckon he won't notice.

Probably.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Sad overall experience on yesterday's BA2707 (BCN-LGW), albeit I was in CE.

The incoming flight was about 45 minutes late, boarding then started even later than the revised schedule. 6 pax had an issue and got to the gate late, resulting in a lost departure slot. ATC then reshuffled the runway causing further havoc to the schedule. At this point in time, approximately 1.5 hours after scheduled departure, the captain came on and advised that our current departure slot is another 2 hours away and the crew would be distributing water in ET.

3 minutes later the captain comes on the PA again and advises we have an immediate departure slot, everyone back to their seats (no drinks distributed in ET).

Upon landing at LGW the senior cabin crew comes on the PA apologising not only for the delay but having run out of food and encourages people to go to BA.com and voice their "disgust". This was at 1am. Definitely NOT a premium experience.

G-GATN then did a rotation to AGP so I assume passengers to/from Malaga would agree with me about the premium-ness of the BA experience.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
1 Bacon Roll on 0735 EDI-LHR 1st Sept

Hi,

I have just flown in to LHR in ET on the 0735 flight from EDI ( CW to LAS this afternoon) and after take off asked for a bacon roll and was told they had run out ( I was in the exit row 11 of the A320 with ET starting at 6)

I joked with the crew that it was either very popular or they only loaded 2. The crew replied that they only loaded 1!!!
They did have the mushroom and cheese toastie which was very good ( if a bit messy)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
No hot food at dinner time?

So, I was pretty dissapointed by this, but not sure if I am being overly picky, or have a point?

Landed from MAD into LHR with a relatively tight connection to an EDI bird. After having to go through security (again), which took some time as they were funneling normal pax into the fast track queue). Had to go straight to the gate and didn't have time to eat in the lounge. Alas, I wasn't particularly upset at this point as although hungry (18:00) I figured I would just buy some BOB when in the air. None of this fault of BA at this pont just painting the picture for you. Flight was a little delayed and didn't get up to service level until about 19:45. By which point rather ravenous. Anyway, looked through the "menu" to find only 1 hot dish...1 hot thing at dinner time?? OK....make do and mend... I'll have that.

"Sorry sir we don't serve that on this flight"
"So... there is no hot food available at all?"
"I'm afraid not sir, not on this flight".

Does anyone think that (especially as they are now charging to the privilege) there should be some sort of hot food on a dinner time flight? Maybe it's just me but I was pretty disappointed. I mean they used to be able to serve hot food to every single pax. Now they can't even serve hot food to one? Even though I was willing to pay for it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Even pre BOB you’d get only a pack of lemon melts or some crisps, never been anything decent on domestic other than breakfast.

At least BOB lets you get a sandwich!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.