Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - Ģ1,033, MIA - Ģ1,133, ATL - Ģ1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ģ1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ģ1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ģ3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR Ģ0.90/TP Ģ400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV Ģ1.33/TP Ģ583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB Ģ1.33/TP Ģ346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG Ģ1.65/TP Ģ593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL Ģ1.81/TP Ģ72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN Ģ1.85/TP Ģ444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV Ģ1.89/TP Ģ377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV Ģ1.91/TP Ģ765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG Ģ2.10/TP Ģ420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV Ģ2.56/TP Ģ410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan Ģ1.50/TP Ģ960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is Ģ40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY Ģ2.50/TP Ģ203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY Ģ2.08/TP Ģ250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV Ģ1.43/TP Ģ172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb Ģ0.99/TP Ģ356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN Ģ1.10/TP Ģ44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn Ģ80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov Ģ0.85/TP Ģ307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ģ300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ģ500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ģ520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~Ģ235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Originally Posted by thepowerbook
I'm just looking at the FRA-DOH-CMB-XXX options for this november...
I've also been looking at FRA-DOH-CMB-Asia this winter. Is it still the case that Sri Lankan provide a free hotel for long layovers? There are some options that have layovers between 13 and 21 hours on the way back from HKG.

On the plus side, 840 TP for a Ģ1500 ish ticket (over Xmas) isn't bad at all.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:13 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by aks120
Use the ITA Powertool and guide here:

http://armouredminds.com/dev/powertools/

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

Once you have the tool - downloaded, click on it while your page on matrix is up. Then on the right hand side you will see various sites to book - I used the European AA site (not the US/UK one) and it worked fine.

aks120
Thanks for the tips and the threads.

I downloaded Power-Tools, but none of the websites could find the fare as there seemed to be ghost availability on one of the flights.

So, instead, I called the GGL line and drove two people crazy. However, they were fantastically patient, gave me options where I was struggling to think of them, and I'm now booked and ticketed!

So, 1020 TPs for Ģ1,533 - which I'm quite happy with. I will cancel it, if I'm able to get the flight times I'd prefer, but at least I have it booked in the interim!

It gives me the Friday night in London, which was the key request, and A class on the trans-con flights - so a very happy msm2000uk

Massive thanks to you for all your help, and to KARFA and wonderman for the various suggestions!

M
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Thanks AQ.

I need to be in London for the Friday night, so either I leave on Saturday morning, or I start the trip on Friday.

For the former, I can't find a departure time out of CPH/ARN, for the price, which allows me to fly into those airports in the morning.

However, the new thinking, is whether I could do:

CPH-HEL-LHR on the Friday
LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS on the Saturday

and then the return legs...and I've managed to find the perfect routing (for me).

Now, as someone who is learning about ITA, how do I book the routing I've found? I've tried bootwithmatrix, but it didn't work.

After 5,000+ posts on FT, I really ought to have learnt these skills a while back!

M
As you did, I've always (and I'm also terrible with ITA) called to book the routings with the flight numbers and booking classes. Enjoy your trip ^
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Thanks for the tips and the threads.

I downloaded Power-Tools, but none of the websites could find the fare as there seemed to be ghost availability on one of the flights.

So, instead, I called the GGL line and drove two people crazy. However, they were fantastically patient, gave me options where I was struggling to think of them, and I'm now booked and ticketed!

So, 1020 TPs for Ģ1,533 - which I'm quite happy with. I will cancel it, if I'm able to get the flight times I'd prefer, but at least I have it booked in the interim!

It gives me the Friday night in London, which was the key request, and A class on the trans-con flights - so a very happy msm2000uk

Massive thanks to you for all your help, and to KARFA and wonderman for the various suggestions!

M
Are the fare rules particularly flexible then ?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Fitch
Are the fare rules particularly flexible then ?
No, but I have the 24 hour cooling off period.

M
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by bmiStar
First (D) only earns business rate TP's, to get 210TP's it has to book in F or A class.
Hi

After reading some very good tips from the people in this forum I booked a ticket with BA in Singapore this morning. My routing is in March:

OSL-HEL (AY I)
HEL-LHR (BA codeshare, AY A350 J)
LHR-JFK (BA codeshare, AA 777 J)
JFK-LAX (BA codeshare, AA 321 A)
LAX-LAS (AA 737 I)

On the way back I fly same classes but with BA 747 from JFK to LHR. I paid 1600Ģ I think that is a good deal when I get A350 from HEL and return and First Class A321 (A class gives 210 TP)

MMB is showing 1020TP and 38300 Avios

I am happy..
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
Hi

After reading some very good tips from the people in this forum I booked a ticket with BA in Singapore this morning. My routing is in March:

OSL-HEL (AY I)
HEL-LHR (BA codeshare, AY A350 J)
LHR-JFK (BA codeshare, AA 777 J)
JFK-LAX (BA codeshare, AA 321 A)
LAX-LAS (AA 737 I)

On the way back I fly same classes but with BA 747 from JFK to LHR. I paid 1600Ģ I think that is a good deal when I get A350 from HEL and return and First Class A321 (A class gives 210 TP)

MMB is showing 1020TP and 38300 Avios

I am happy..
The AA 321T is a great trip in F, make sure to get the ice cream and cookies! Seems like you've hit a real cracker with this ticket. Not to mention the 1020TPs^^^
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
The AA 321T is a great trip in F, make sure to get the ice cream and cookies! Seems like you've hit a real cracker with this ticket. Not to mention the 1020TPs^^^
Thank you Happy myself I will for sure try the cookies, thank you for the tip!

I am going to SIN with Qatar in C in the summer next year which gives me 560 TP before my BAEC renewal so then I get BA Gold for the first time That is also why I maid sure to choose BA codeshare flights where possible.

My friend fly directly in Y to LAS from OSL via LHR and pays 390Ģ and meet me in LAS, he is not that crazy as me I guess

We are going to SEA from LAS, so we had to buy a separate ticket from LAS on Delta. I discovered that my wife had some points on Delta so I got First Class return for 11USD^
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by OhhAhh
Good evening all.

First time poster, long term lurker.
I've been reading the forum for the last couple of years and have found it invaluable in helping me understand how to maximise my infrequent work travel to the benefit of my personal travel.
Last year I manged to secure Silver status for the first time and I'd really like to hold onto it if possible.

My problem is that work travel is thin on the ground this year and I currently still have 365 points to get me over the line. I have a US trip planned for November where I need to be in Lexington for a working week (dates TBC). I'd really like to try and get all of the points I need on this trip, whilst staying within my company budget for this trip.
We travel premiun economy most of the time (or business if the price is in the same ball-park). Currently the suggested option (via work TA) is with Virgin, LHR-ATL-LEX, in PE for Ģ1400. Obviously this is no good to me in my hunt for TPs so I'd like to try and secure the 365 I need for around Ģ1500 (I can cover positioning flights myself if needed and also fly into CVG if this makes it easier).

So the long and short of it is, do you think that this is possible?
What would be the best strategy in terms of searching (I have rudimentary ITA skills)? I wondered if the best option would be a simple ex-EU premium economy fare to somewhere on the east coast for around Ģ1k and then a separate TP run once I'm in the US? Trying to fit this into a single booking is beyond my skill set so any advice would be most welcome.

Apologies for the length of my first post and many thanks in advance to anyody who takes the time to read and consider a response.
It looks like my post got a bit lost in the middle of a couple of other on-going discussions.

I've been playing around with departure points and the best that I can come up with is a LUX to JFK return in CW for around Ģ1300 and then a separate JFK to either LEX or CVG return for around Ģ300 (economy). By my calculations this would get me over the 365 TP line but isnt a particularly neat solution and would probably require an overnight in New York (which isnt a problem as I'll have to stay somewhere). Currently looking at flying out on the 11th Nov and back on either the 17th or 18th.

Does anybody have any suggestions for an alternative routing, ideally that I could book as a single ticket whilst securing the required TPs for around Ģ1500?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by OhhAhh
It looks like my post got a bit lost in the middle of a couple of other on-going discussions.

I've been playing around with departure points and the best that I can come up with is a LUX to JFK return in CW for around Ģ1300 and then a separate JFK to either LEX or CVG return for around Ģ300 (economy). By my calculations this would get me over the 365 TP line but isnt a particularly neat solution and would probably require an overnight in New York (which isnt a problem as I'll have to stay somewhere). Currently looking at flying out on the 11th Nov and back on either the 17th or 18th.

Does anybody have any suggestions for an alternative routing, ideally that I could book as a single ticket whilst securing the required TPs for around Ģ1500?

Many thanks.
I don't think you can book your transatlantic flights and a separate TP run as part of one ticket - I don't think fare rules work that way - but I could be wrong.

A simple exEU to the East Coast would get you 360TPs, so your internal flights to LEX or CVG should get you what you need to get over the line (depending on the specific flight, check the Avios calculator).

You could consider PHL, BOS, IAD, DCA, ORD as well as JFK? On the matrix I can see BRU-LHR-JFK out and BOS-PHL-MAN return for Ģ1,287 (can go direct PHL-MAN for Ģ27 less but then you miss out on 40TP).

Search terms I was using:
Departing from: AMS, ARN, ATH, BRU, BUD, DUB, CPH, FRA, HEL, MAD, LCA, LIN, LIS, MLA, PAR, VIE, WAW, GLA, EDI, LHR, MAN
Destination: JFK, BOS, PHL, IAD, DCA, ORD
alliance oneworld; maxconnect 500
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Executive Club
Obviously you then need to book your flights to CVG or LEX (checking the Avios calculator, JFK-LEX doesn't seem to earn any TPs so CVG is probably a better choice). I can see some in economy for around the Ģ230 mark, it would depend on whether you were trying to do these flights the same day as the transatlantic ones, or if you were going to stay a night.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Gold, Accor LeClub - Platinum, Hilton Hhonors - Diamond
Thanks for the tips MarkedMan
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Talking

Since I am getting so much great tipps from this Community I thought it is about time to also try to provide some useful Information for you. I managed to dig up a OW Emerald Run with 1540TP and about 45k Avios(BAEC Bronze Member).
It may be not as cheap as the most runs here, but I am travelling anyways and I might as well make the best out of it

The routing I chose is the following:
Dec 31st - Jan 23rd
BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS/HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-BUD(Class: JAAJJAAJ)
Price: 2838EUR for 1100TP(2,58EUR/TP)

Jan 1st - Jan 22nd
LAS-DFW-MIA-PUJ-MIA-LAX-HNL(Class: IIIIII)
Price: 1106EUR for 440TP(2,51EUR/TP)

Grand Total: 3944EUR for 1540TP(2,56EUR/TP)
Prices according to ITA Matrix.

Feel free to share it with everyone, if you think itīs useful. If you have questions, just contact me.

Cheers
EDDMflyer
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi All.

First time poster. I've been reading the forum for sometime and have found tons of useful information how to maximise miles and TP.

I've got a trip coming up in Dec leaving LCA to LAS as follows;
LCA-LHR
LCY-ORY
ORY-EWR
JFK-LAX
LAX-LAS
and return (returning to ATH due to timing) netting in 1020 TP and around 40k Avios. [total price Ģ1300]

Trying to hit gold on this trip so would need another 480TP, any advice how i can maximise TP on this trip.

Many Thanks

Last edited by Mike Gold; Aug 24, 2017 at 7:39 am Reason: adding information
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Quick question, when I'm trying to book a business class TP run which includes a JFK-LAX and return, what do I need to do in order to force it to book into First (A)? Does it have to have no availability in another class, and if so, which? I'm delving into Expertflyer to check it all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.