Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Jamier45
So it works until I put the MIA-MCO connection in.

LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-MIA-PTY-MIA-CLT-PHL-PHX-LAS-LAX works, but put;

MCO-MIA-PTY-MIA-MCO then it doesn't like it!
Works fine for me

Could probably squeeze another 2 sectors in here to up it to 16, but I've not got time to do it at present.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes.
Thanks! A couple more questions regarding DUB-LHR-JFK-LAS-JFK-LHR-DUB please....looking at thur-tuesday in the first half of august.

1) I'm considering upgrading LHR-JFK from CW to First. Do I use the "Book with Avios" to check if there is an outright reward booking available? There's quite a few showing as free, how would I go do the upgrade itself? Book the tix first then call them up?

2) How many avios is the upgrade?

3) Curious as to why there's so much availability? Flying to/from HK as well in summer and there's hardly anything. Am I looking in the right place?

4) Keen to try the babybus on return as the early arrival means I can go straight to work. So I just route the last bit as JFK-LCY//LHR-DUB? I guess I could be 'late' for the last leg...?

thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by benjai
1) I'm considering upgrading LHR-JFK from CW to First. Do I use the "Book with Avios" to check if there is an outright reward booking available? There's quite a few showing as free, how would I go do the upgrade itself? Book the tix first then call them up?
Just do a dummy one way reward booking for LHR-JFK in F and see if there are F reward seats showing for your flight. If there are you will have to call to do the UuA - you can't do it online.

2) How many avios is the upgrade?
The UuA avios cost is the difference in what a CW reward seats would cost and what a F reward seat would cost. For this route it is 18k off-peak and 20k peak.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:48 am

To build on the LAX-PTY run above, you can indeed stretch it to 16 sectors, for those inclined.

£786 - 840 TPs - £0.94/TP

Matrix routing codes:

Depart: LAX
Codes: AA1101 AA453 AA2026 AA4906,AA1653 AA657 AA2005 AA1061 AA959 /maxconnect 1000
11/10/2017

Arrive: PTY
Codes: AA960 AA1061 AA727 AA765 AA4737,AA782 AA2022 AA1888 AA2384 /maxconnect 1000
18/10/2017

Plenty of other dates and routing combos available.

Fare code: INX2DSN1

Prices up perfectly on AA.com

Note: fare rules state "PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU FROM THE GATEWAY." so this may restrict things a little.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Works fine for me

Could probably squeeze another 2 sectors in here to up it to 16, but I've not got time to do it at present.
This doesn't make me happy

I can only assume it's my computer.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:49 am

Yes.
Just do a dummy one way reward booking for LHR-JFK in F and see if there are F reward seats showing for your flight. If there are you will have to call to do the UuA - you can't do it online.

The UuA avios cost is the difference in what a CW reward seats would cost and what a F reward seat would cost. For this route it is 18k off-peak and 20k peak.
Thanks! Think I was in the right place then. So do I call them after I've booked, or call them to book and do the UuA at the same time?

Sorry I haven't done a UuA before!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Or the operator
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:50 am

Take a look above - I squeezed a 16 sector itinerary from this fare
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Think I was in the right place then. So do I call them after I've booked, or call them to book and do the UuA at the same time?

Either. You can UuA when booking or call at some point later to UuA after booking. If there is reward availability at the point you are booking and you have sufficient avios you might as well do it all at the same time.

Can I check, you are booking the flights with BA and not AA or a TA?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

To build on the LAX-PTY run above, you can indeed stretch it to 16 sectors, for those inclined.

£786 - 840 TPs - £0.94/TP

Matrix routing codes:

Depart: LAX
Codes: AA1101 AA453 AA2026 AA4906,AA1653 AA657 AA2005 AA1061 AA959 /maxconnect 1000
11/10/2017

Arrive: PTY
Codes: AA960 AA1061 AA727 AA765 AA4737,AA782 AA2022 AA1888 AA2384 /maxconnect 1000
18/10/2017

Plenty of other dates and routing combos available.

Fare code: INX2DSN1

Prices up perfectly on AA.com

Note: fare rules state "PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU FROM THE GATEWAY." so this may restrict things a little.
This is very impressive. Only did a LAX-PTY run once a few years ago and it had about 6 flights in the booking!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:57 am

This is very impressive. Only did a LAX-PTY run once a few years ago and it had about 6 flights in the booking!
Thank you. You need to try harder

It is a great fare, and just need to find someone insane enough to actually fly it
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:01 am

Either. You can UuA when booking or call at some point later to UuA after booking. If there is reward availability at the point you are booking and you have sufficient avios you might as well do it all at the same time.

Can I check, you are booking the flights with BA and not AA or a TA?
Thanks. I was thinking of something like this:

As the first leg is BA, I guess I would book via BA? Also, there seems to be an AA flight operated by BA also at 1430 but on a 777, is that correct? Which would be better in biz/first?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Thank you. You need to try harder

It is a great fare, and just need to find someone insane enough to actually fly it
You called?

Just had a look and not cheap on the 31st Oct (£1377) which is my preferred date. Got 4-5 days spare between two planned weekends.
£794 on Fri 3rd Nov but need to be in NY that day so no good without a bit of possible fiddling.
Cheaper prices for 7 days rather than say an overnight.

Last edited by xenole; Jun 15, 2017 at 3:21 am
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:09 am

​​​​​​I would recommend doing both booking and upgrade over the phone at the same time. I wanted to UuA from CW to F on JFK-LHR recently, and even though expertflyer was showing award availability for a particular flight, operator could not see it. Luckily there was reward availability for a later flight, so they just booked me for that. If I would have booked in advance, it would be more complicated.

When you call, remember to mention that you could not do that online to have the phone booking fee waived.

By the way, I was charged 25k avios for that upgrade.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by SadKingBilly
​​​​​​I would recommend doing both booking and upgrade over the phone at the same time. I wanted to UuA from CW to F on JFK-LHR recently, and even though expertflyer was showing award availability for a particular flight, operator could not see it. Luckily there was reward availability for a later flight, so they just booked me for that. If I would have booked in advance, it would be more complicated.

When you call, remember to mention that you could not do that online to have the phone booking fee waived.

By the way, I was charged 25k avios for that upgrade.
Ah good tips, thanks. If I do LHR-JFK on AA, can they also UuA at the same time? Just comparing the BA/AA first product now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.