Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Was on BA2608 last night (28/09) LGW-NAP. It was delayed by more than 3 hours even before takeoff (at one point they werent sure if the flight would go ahead at all). Am I right in assuming this means we are able to be compensated?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JestersDance
Was on BA2608 last night (28/09) LGW-NAP. It was delayed by more than 3 hours even before takeoff (at one point they werent sure if the flight would go ahead at all). Am I right in assuming this means we are able to be compensated?
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, what was the cause of the delay? If extraordinary circumstances then no, you won't be compensated via EC261. What did the captain say in his or her initial announcement after boarding was completed?
ScubaRoo likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
And to add to the c-w-s broken record it's the difference between acheduled and actual arrival that matters not departure.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BA GGL
It's a good one though. Scheduled arrival was 9:50pm:

LGW ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 2130
LEFT THE GATE 2137
TOOK OFF 2148
DELAY ZY
DELAY ZO
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 0056 NAP
NAP AIRCRAFT LANDED 0049
ARRIVED 0054
Looks like G-GATK was having a bad day:

I reckon BA could have recovered this at LGW, but didn't. I'd say there's a case for compensation, but I'm not the expert.

Last edited by armouredant; Sep 29, 2017 at 7:37 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:20 am

Ryanair's response to regulators today is an interesting read.
As well as agreeing to comply with regulators' request they are asking for the CAA to treat British Airways on equal terms:

"Ryanair has called upon the UK CAA to now require UK airlines to comply with these EU261 obligations which the CAA did not apply to British Airways in May this year, when a computer meltdown stranded hundreds of thousands of British citizens/visitors at London Heathrow and many other airports, with no apparent action taken by the CAA in respect of re-accommodation or enforcement against British Airways."

Reference: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ry...ons/?market=ie
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:22 am

It's a fair question, we all know of BA's both outright dodgy tactics and their interpretation of re-rerouting on other carriers.

Nice to see the regulator actually regulating on behalf of passengers.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:39 am

Could be a good time for someone to take BA on over the MF strike/exceptional circumstances ruse.

Last edited by simons1; Sep 29, 2017 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tamalien
Ryanair's response to regulators today is an interesting read.
As well as agreeing to comply with regulators' request they are asking for the CAA to treat British Airways on equal terms:
It's certainly an interesting point, and the sheer firmness of view of the CAA on this issue has come as a surprise to me. It's not a new idea, indeed there are plenty of posts in this thread and its antecedents.

There was perhaps several differences here that are worth pointing out: BA did and does rebook some/many passengers on to other airlines when delays get big, indeed on USA flights they deliberately do so to reduce their EC261 liability, right up to and including booking on what they see as their arch rival (which, incidentally, is Delta). As we saw, they did this during the IT meltdown. Secondly it was a very different short term problem, very few people were stranded after day3 and none after day4. Ryanair's problems will go on for months, they don't have the where-with-all to easily rebook people on 2 or 3 flights to get to their destination, which BA will do without even blinking. Ryanair's aircraft go out very full and often it's one flight a day, or even 3 flights a week, with no mechanism to reticket on another airline, no alliance to take the slack, no shareholder with another big fleet of unexpectedly idle aircraft.

Having said that, I think the core point made here certainly stands, it's something of a game changer, I feel. And incidentally, Ryanair have agreed to go along with this new policy.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Have they now agreed that CWS? Last I heard was the guidance they were giving to their staff was to only allow rebookings on non-affiliated airlines (and I was surprised to hear they had any of those!) up to the value of 3x the original Ryanair fare
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Have they now agreed that CWS? Last I heard was the guidance they were giving to their staff was to only allow rebookings on non-affiliated airlines (and I was surprised to hear they had any of those!) up to the value of 3x the original Ryanair fare
See (from the BBC):-
Ryanair backs down over passenger rights for cancellations

Ryanair has bowed to regulator demands and spelled out more options on offer to passengers affected by its planned flight disruption.

It has avoided possible legal action by emailing those affected by more than 20,000 flight cancellations.

On its site, Ryanair acknowledges it is required to offer those on cancelled flights full refunds or comparable tickets on rival carriers.

Civil Aviation Authority boss Andrew Haines said Ryanair had "capitulated".

Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
See (from the BBC):-
Ah, thanks for that. And nice to see the CAA being magnanimous in victory
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:37 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The BBC is not fully correct. FR agreed to rebook only on a list of LCC they approve, not to all career.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The BBC is not fully correct. FR agreed to rebook only on a list of LCC they approve, not to all career.
That’s not correct, the BBC are right, as per https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/f...ts+Sept+29.pdf:

1. First, move the customer to the next available Ryanair flight on the same route. If this option is not available same or next day, then;

2. Move the customer to the next available Ryanair flight from/to a suitable alternative airport/s (for example: Luton or Gatwick in the case of Stansted). If this option is not available same or next day, then;

3. Offer the customer re-accommodation on any one of our agreed disruption partner airlines to their destination as follows; Easyjet, Jet2, Vueling, Cityjet, Aer Lingus, Norwegian or Eurowings airlines. If this option is not available same or next day, then;

4. Offer the customer re-accommodation on any comparable alternative transport (another airline flight, train, bus or car hire) with the cost of this comparable transport ticket to be assessed on a case by case basis.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:35 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by simons1
Could be a good time for someone to take BA on over the MF strike/exceptional circumstances ruse.
some of us are 😉
Worcester likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Tim_T
some of us are 😉
What stage are you at?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.