Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Please refer to the wiki in this companion thread for more information.
Print Wikipost

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by florens
Alcohol taxes in Estonia were raised so alcohol is now more expensive than say one year ago. A lot of Estonians now go to Latvia to buy booze.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
What time should I be arriving at TLL for the 06:10 flight to HEL? Also, can I go straight to security with hand bags only and a BP, or do I need to go to check in (one of us has a non EU passport)?
Boarding usually starts at 05:50, from security to the gate it is a 2-3 minutes walk. I usually arrive at 05:30 for the 06:10 flight, HBO obviuously.

OLCI is possible, not sure about non EU passeports. I would say if API is filled in then you should be fine, but someone more knowledgeable might know more.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
What time should I be arriving at TLL for the 06:10 flight to HEL? Also, can I go straight to security with hand bags only and a BP, or do I need to go to check in (one of us has a non EU passport)?
I don't think passports will matter as TLL-HEL is within Schengen so they won't be doing any visa checks. Depending where you're staying you can get to the airport really quickly in the morning (I think I did Hilton to airport in 6 minutes) when there's hardly any traffic.

I aim to get there around 30 minutes before, it's fine. You can use FastTrack and you may even have enough time to use the lounge.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hungry
thanks but as BA Silver flying business class we won’t be allowed into first lounge just business but still sounds good
You still won't be disappointed with the CX Business lounge. The champagne behind the bar is Moet.
hungry likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by layz
I don't think passports will matter as TLL-HEL is within Schengen so they won't be doing any visa checks.
Oh, indeed. I should have thought of that.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
The TLL lounge is upstairs just opposite where they have the promo car. It's actually pretty nice - tasty open sandwiches and decent coffee.

Our hotel (Radisson SAS) ordered us a cab for 04:45 and by 05:00 we were at Security (at 05:02 we were through Security ) so we had quite a while to kill before boarding started and the lounge was a pleasant place to wait.

In summer I believe the lounge also has a fresh-air section which has had good reports on here.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'e got my last flight next Friday but not sure if I can make it due to other commitments.

The website is letting me cancel if need be and I get around £52 back after a £15 fee.
Or I can change the date up to January (more than 365 days out if I try say mid-Feb) for £100. Not sure if any additional costs on top of this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:12 am

I am really looking to the A350 experience....

I am kinda wishing that coming back I had booked it... but not sure if I would be up for getting up that early and might spoil the last night partying in Tallinn having to get to bed early.... or stay up all night then wouldn't enjoy the flight anyway lol
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:20 am

OMG

I’m posting this from in the sky on an A350 plane !!! This is awesome... best flight ever thank you FT
Calchas, ENTP and Pack like this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:33 am

Can you get redemption flights for TLL-HEL? BA website naturally wouldn't let me do it yesterday as BA or it's partners don't fly that route.
Considering maybe flying back to HEL after landing at TLL and then getting the ferry back a day later.

The cost of the flight is around €131.03 compared to the £31 or whatever I can get the ferry for.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by xenole
Can you get redemption flights for TLL-HEL? BA website naturally wouldn't let me do it yesterday as BA or it's partners don't fly that route.
Considering maybe flying back to HEL after landing at TLL and then getting the ferry back a day later.

The cost of the flight is around €131.03 compared to the £31 or whatever I can get the ferry for.
Even if you can, the price would be 4500 avios + €38 AY YR + €7.03 Estonia fee, and presumably you want to go to Helsinki, not HEL, so ferry makes much more sense
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Even if you can, the price would be 4500 avios + €38 AY YR + €7.03 Estonia fee, and presumably you want to go to Helsinki, not HEL, so ferry makes much more sense
Well, I was considering flying TLL-HEL and possibly overnighting in the airport Holiday Inn to complete some of my IHG accelerate promo and then heading into the city in the morning to do the touristy stuff. Then getting the ferry back later in the evening.

The flight saves me leaving the airport and getting a taxi to the ferry terminal.

Possibly around €66 return on the ferry.

Or could just do the Hilton for the night and get an 8am ferry although I dont want to miss out on breakfast at the hotel.

Not sure of the logistics of getting from HEL into the city or to / from the ferry ports.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Not sure of the logistics of getting from HEL into the city or to / from the ferry ports.
There are trains going from HEL to the city. It takes about 30 minutes.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/timetables-and...lsinki-airport
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:03 am

We went to the lounge for a drink in Helsinki whilst changing planes. But we was told it was only wine and softs available - no beer or spirits... it this right?

it was rammed as well!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:02 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Well, I was considering flying TLL-HEL and possibly overnighting in the airport Holiday Inn to complete some of my IHG accelerate promo and then heading into the city in the morning to do the touristy stuff. Then getting the ferry back later in the evening.

The flight saves me leaving the airport and getting a taxi to the ferry terminal.

Possibly around €66 return on the ferry.

Or could just do the Hilton for the night and get an 8am ferry although I dont want to miss out on breakfast at the hotel.

Hmm, I've always found the HEL Holiday Inn to be overpriced for paid nights and much better as a redemption for 15000 points. If you need it for Accelerate, can you stay at another property in Helsinki?

You don't need to get a taxi to the ferry terminal in Tallinn... I walked it in an hour (in 0°C!) or you can take a bus directly there for €2.

From the Helsinki ferry port you buy a day ticket from the tram driver for €9.

What about the "overnight" ferries?

Originally Posted by hungry
We went to the lounge for a drink in Helsinki whilst changing planes. But we was told it was only wine and softs available - no beer or spirits... it this right?

it was rammed as well!
I think so, the HEL lounges seem like a conveyor belt to me (I actually prefer the Schengen one)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.