Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Please refer to the wiki in this companion thread for more information.
Print Wikipost

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Finnair's A350 to LHR does seem to run late regularly. I don't know if it's late arriving into HEL before its departure to LHR or that it's timed to be an A320 and things take longer with a bigger plane.
Although it's an early flight to connect to longhaul from LHR I find AY831 in J perfect because I can actually relax in the flat bed as opposed to being in CE or any other shorthaul biz. I find the A350 is a very quiet plane so the 3 hours pass by very quickly. Plus those extra TP are always welcome.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Finnair's A350 to LHR does seem to run late regularly. I don't know if it's late arriving into HEL before its departure to LHR or that it's timed to be an A320 and things take longer with a bigger plane.
AFAIK the LHR bound plane is always the one coming in from HKG. The turnaround time is 2h (scheduled), as it is scheduled to land a 6.00am and depart to LHR at 8.00am.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
The flight last Saturday, arrived at LHR some 2 hours late. The captain gave the reason as, the aircraft was fuelled for Singapore and then had its schedule changed to the LHR run. This meant that the aircraft would have been too heavy to land at LHR so it had to be "de-fuelled" (his word).

I thought this was rather bizarre. I had images of engineers with tubes syphoning the fuel out of the aircraft into gallon cans.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
And the A350 arrival into HEL often results in being parked up around the back of the hangars and a bus transfer, as I assume it doesn't head off East for another few hours.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by bhbloke
And the A350 arrival into HEL often results in being parked up around the back of the hangars and a bus transfer, as I assume it doesn't head off East for another few hours.
Or rather because not enough non-schengen gates are available (outbound wave in the late afternoon).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Finnair's A350 to LHR does seem to run late regularly
FWIW, other than the Saturday noted above, timekeeping has been good recently.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I am looking forward to this trip more and more as it nears.

I have also secured enough tier points thanks to this trip to retain silver for another year. My TP collection year ends in May 2018. I think I may struggle to retain for the year after that though.

On the Finnair A350 me and the Mrs have seats 1D and 1H. Are these seats good ones for a couple travelling ?

On the way back we are on normal flight as the A350 is too early. And we have got 1A&C (I love how you don't have to wait till just before the flight with Finnair like you do with BA to get row 1 in short haul Bizzo).

Also we are staying at the PK Ilmarine Hotel. It was quite cheap but looks ok. Does anyone have any experience of this hotel?

Also how far is it by cab and how much is it expected to cost from the airport?

Thanks again all
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by hungry
I am looking forward to this trip more and more as it nears.

I have also secured enough tier points thanks to this trip to retain silver for another year. My TP collection year ends in May 2018. I think I may struggle to retain for the year after that though.

On the Finnair A350 me and the Mrs have seats 1D and 1H. Are these seats good ones for a couple travelling ?

On the way back we are on normal flight as the A350 is too early. And we have got 1A&C (I love how you don't have to wait till just before the flight with Finnair like you do with BA to get row 1 in short haul Bizzo).

Also we are staying at the PK Ilmarine Hotel. It was quite cheap but looks ok. Does anyone have any experience of this hotel?

Also how far is it by cab and how much is it expected to cost from the airport?

Thanks again all
1D/H are fine for a couple (in fact me and Mrs FBW are in those seats this morning). You have to lean forward a little to gaze longingly into each other's eyes though.
Otherwise I've found window and aisle to be good for conversation too. No real bad uns I don't think, 1A only has one window if that matters to you.

A cab into town is around EUR10, uber is cheaper. About 10-15 mins tops.

Enjoy the experience!!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly_By_Wire
1D/H are fine for a couple (in fact me and Mrs FBW are in those seats this morning). You have to lean forward a little to gaze longingly into each other's eyes though.
Otherwise I've found window and aisle to be good for conversation too. No real bad uns I don't think, 1A only has one window if that matters to you.

Enjoy the experience!!
Uber works well in Tallinn I've found up until about midnight, when all the cars seem to vanish until breakfast time !

The receptionist at my hotel the other week at 04:30 whistled up a cab for me in the traditional way but had to try 3 different numbers. Faintly nerve-wracking when you're starting a six-sector journey on thr 06:05 TLL-HEL
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
The flight last Saturday, arrived at LHR some 2 hours late. The captain gave the reason as, the aircraft was fuelled for Singapore and then had its schedule changed to the LHR run. This meant that the aircraft would have been too heavy to land at LHR so it had to be "de-fuelled" (his word).

I thought this was rather bizarre. I had images of engineers with tubes syphoning the fuel out of the aircraft into gallon cans.
Not far off.The engineers need to obtain an empty bowser which is not always that simple.The fuel cannot be put back into the hydrant refueling system.There may be some delay as the available bowsers are often tasked with other duties,hence the delays associated with defueling.
IFE Wizard and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by Fly_By_Wire

Enjoy the experience!!
Great thanks
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by rapidex
Not far off.The engineers need to obtain an empty bowser which is not always that simple.The fuel cannot be put back into the hydrant refueling system.There may be some delay as the available bowsers are often tasked with other duties,hence the delays associated with defueling.
There is no hydrant fueling system at HEL, just normal fueling trucks.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by duvin
There is no hydrant fueling system at HEL, just normal fueling trucks.
I was not suggesting there was,I was describing the process and where the fuel goes,not being specific to HEL.Defueled fuel cannot be returned to hydrant systems.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I thought these high TP TLL runs had stopped?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I thought these high TP TLL runs had stopped?
Only for the purchase of new tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.