Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Please refer to the wiki in this companion thread for more information.
Print Wikipost

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
So what happens if you decide to fly to Helsinki and then opt to get the ferry once finnair say the flight is cancelled?

Surely that would protect the return?
I think that's the approach we're going for. It has just allowed me to check in for my flights on Finnair. I just hope they don't cancel it in the next few hours or stop us getting on the outbound from LHR
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Ek Blue, BAEC Bronze, SQ Silver, HH Gold
I got a text through from AY approx 9am this morning confirming my flight was cancelled to Tallinn, so was on the phone to the gold line for the next 25 minutes, the lady who dealt with me had to phone oneworld and AY for confirmation as it still wasn't showing up in their systems, thankfully after being placed on hold a couple of times she was able to secure the last 2 seats on the 10:20 flight to Tallinn on Saturday morning, so am now doing a back to back there and spending the night in Helsinki which actually works out well for us.

Anyone have any good ideas how to spend an afternoon and evening in Helsinki? Thoughts much appreciated
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ams2174
Anyone have any good ideas how to spend an afternoon and evening in Helsinki? Thoughts much appreciated
Just got back from there on Monday If you haven't been before I'd definitely recommend a trip to Suomenlinna - World Heritage Site and well worth a walk around. The ferry to the island is part of the public transport network so we just visited it as part of a day ticket we bought when we caught the tram from the ferry terminal. Train from airport to central station is also nice and regular and efficient, plus only costs €5 - puts the HEX to shame!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by jaylon
I think that's the approach we're going for. It has just allowed me to check in for my flights on Finnair. I just hope they don't cancel it in the next few hours or stop us getting on the outbound from LHR
Hope it goes well. Keep us updated.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Just wondering which lounge people would recommend in HEL out of the Schengan and non-Schengan?

Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Good luck all who are going thru with wherever travel brings them to HEL, sitting this one out...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: Ek Blue, BAEC Bronze, SQ Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Just got back from there on Monday If you haven't been before I'd definitely recommend a trip to Suomenlinna - World Heritage Site and well worth a walk around. The ferry to the island is part of the public transport network so we just visited it as part of a day ticket we bought when we caught the tram from the ferry terminal. Train from airport to central station is also nice and regular and efficient, plus only costs €5 - puts the HEX to shame!
thanks for the recommendation, will certainly consider it, not staying in the city itself overnight, have booked in at the airport hilton but plan to dump bags and check in n head into the city late afternoon, whether that gives us time to go there I don't know, but appreciate the idea
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ams2174
thanks for the recommendation, will certainly consider it, not staying in the city itself overnight, have booked in at the airport hilton but plan to dump bags and check in n head into the city late afternoon, whether that gives us time to go there I don't know, but appreciate the idea
Trains to the airport are frequent and the ferries run late so you could just get a regional day ticket at the airport and that would cover you for all your travel for the day Have a good trip!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by AndyRobin
Just wondering which lounge people would recommend in HEL out of the Schengan and non-Schengan?

Thanks.
The Finnair Premium lounge (non-Schengen) is the best of the lounges, but the Finnair Schengen lounge is perfectly acceptable for an hour or so.

If you're flying BA you also have the 'Almost at home' lounge (non-Schengen) and there's an Aspire lounge in Schengen if you have a Priority Pass. I'd don't think either is particularly worth a visit unless you have an extremely long layover but don't want to leave the airport.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by layz
The Finnair Premium lounge (non-Schengen) is the best of the lounges, but the Finnair Schengen lounge is perfectly acceptable for an hour or so.

If you're flying BA you also have the 'Almost at home' lounge (non-Schengen) and there's an Aspire lounge in Schengen if you have a Priority Pass. I'd don't think either is particularly worth a visit unless you have an extremely long layover but don't want to leave the airport.
Thank you layz. I just noticed the Premium lounge is OWE only, I am only Silver . Will try the other Finnair lounge. Thanks again.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Issue getting TLL fares

I have been having a problem with ba.com for some weeks now. Have tried all of the usual remedies but to no avail. I am trying to price up a few more TLL trips later this year starting my dates in March and moving forward one week at a time.

However, ba.com keeps throwing out error messages and systems not responding as well as a few "robot" checks. By trying over and over I eventually get to my first date in late July. The "next week" button changes to "next day" and then brings up a tab with no date and just the message "no flights available" and the "next" tab has gone!

I can see fares on amex for circa £330 but I have a £1400 BA voucher that expires in June and I would like to use it to pay for a few TLL trips. Original plan had been to use it towards an ex-EU TATL but apart from ex-OSL there seem to be no bargains.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thank you layz. I just noticed the Premium lounge is OWE only, I am only Silver . Will try the other Finnair lounge. Thanks again.
That must be a new arrangement, I think.

The lounge previously was for OWS and OWE, IIRC?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I have been having a problem with ba.com for some weeks now. Have tried all of the usual remedies but to no avail. I am trying to price up a few more TLL trips later this year starting my dates in March and moving forward one week at a time.

However, ba.com keeps throwing out error messages and systems not responding as well as a few "robot" checks. By trying over and over I eventually get to my first date in late July. The "next week" button changes to "next day" and then brings up a tab with no date and just the message "no flights available" and the "next" tab has gone!

I can see fares on amex for circa £330 but I have a £1400 BA voucher that expires in June and I would like to use it to pay for a few TLL trips. Original plan had been to use it towards an ex-EU TATL but apart from ex-OSL there seem to be no bargains.
There is very little if any Y selling class availability between HEL and TLL from now to the end of October on the BA codeshares. A Saturday/Sunday trip is pretty much impossible. November onwards is fine and all dates should be available and bookable on ba.com.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
The non-Schengen lounge (gate 35/36) has a premium lounge to the left from reception and a business lounge to the right. OWS will get you into the business lounge (premium used to be OWE and OWS I beleive but I've never got into the premium with OWS). There are showers and the sauna between the 2 areas, accessed from the corridor towards the premium lounge. So you will have access to a lounge in the non-Schengen area.

But, I personally prefer the Schengen lounge to the business section of the non-Schengen one. In terms of food and alcohol the non-Schengen probably comes out on top (though this may just be down the time of day I'm normally in each of them), but I prefer the view from the Schengen lounge (there is one, as opposed to a view of a corridor) and I find it has a nicer feel. I normally only use the non-Schengen lounge on short non-Schengen/non-Schengen connections, to save spending time going through passport control in each direction. Most of my times through HEL are non-Schengen/Schengen or vice versa connections so will try to spend my time in the Schengen lounge. Not sure if on a non-Schengen/non-Schengen connection you're meant to be able to pass passport control to get to the Schengen area, but have been allowed to in the past (passport officer did check I realised that my onward flight was non-Schengen, but let me through when I said I wanted a wander around the shops and to visit the lounge).

Hope that helps,
Hodders
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA silver,
I have a booking for June but stopping over in HEL on the return. Not coming back on the early A350 flight so do not really want to stay out at the airport but am amazed at town centre hotel prices. Has anyone found comfortable simple hotels in the centre?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.