Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:10 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by nufnuf77
    Not if you have planned a b2b in HNL, like me starting on 29th... They would struggle to re-accommodate.
    Also, despite EC261 saying strikes are force-majeure, I am not convinced; BA brought this upon themselves!
    Haha that would be tricky !

Mine's a simple SJC return so tonnes of nearby alternatives
    Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:11 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
    Not if you have planned a b2b in HNL, like me starting on 29th... They would struggle to re-accommodate.
    Also, despite EC261 saying strikes are force-majeure, I am not convinced; BA brought this upon themselves!
    Good luck with taking that one to court!
    Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:13 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    But surely in this case the majority of your travel would be on AA, and therefore totally unaffected by any action from MF? Your issue is merely (and I use that as a relative term) getting to and from your transit point in the US, although your TP total might be hit to make the timings work. That should give you plenty of alternative routing options, given you are still in a fairly light travel period. I'm on AA metal on 28th Dec and 1st Jan to NYC and back, and judging by the seat map there still looks to be plenty of availability in J on what would be one of the more popular routes. Start going into or out of CTL or PHL and I imagine it gets even easier.

That's one of the reasons why I believe an early strike date is unlikely - it would make it comparatively easy for BA to simply re-route a lot of people onto to JV partners, particularly going west, and not taking any revenue pain as a result. The later in January they can push it, the harder it will be for BA.
    Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:31 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
    Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    But surely in this case the majority of your travel would be on AA, and therefore totally unaffected by any action from MF? Your issue is merely (and I use that as a relative term) getting to and from your transit point in the US, although your TP total might be hit to make the timings work. That should give you plenty of alternative routing options, given you are still in a fairly light travel period.
    Not if your schedule is so tight that you cannot afford to miss the LHR-MIA BA208 first one in the morning.
    Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:32 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
    Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
    Good luck with taking that one to court!
    I am not planning, I am just saying I am personally not convinced. Strike should not exempt any company from keeping their side of deal or pay for consequences.
    Fire and hire would work in a lot of industries, though probably not for pilots and crew...
    Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:45 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Not if your schedule is so tight that you cannot afford to miss the LHR-MIA BA208 first one in the morning.
    So my calm, reassuring tone isn't helping enormously then? .

I still think, if circumstances conspire against you, BA will probably be understanding and will find you an alternative routing that works (plus I gues you could get AA to take over the ticket at a given point when it comes under airport control, and they are definitely very pro-active). The alternative is to give you a refund, and I'm not sure BA will be so keen to do that on what is presumably not a particularly small sum of money ...
    Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    Isn't that outside the scope of this particular forum?
    Not the first time !

The oint of the question is: If this is of so much concern for a certain group, normally one would expect this to be a "universal" viewpoint in the same marketplace .
    Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:10 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    That is one of the perils of TP running. If you book tight itineraries with the purpose of maximising TPs then you leave yourself with few options when IRROPS occur.

I am not planning, I am just saying I am personally not convinced. Strike should not exempt any company from keeping their side of deal or pay for consequences.
    Fire and hire would work in a lot of industries, though probably not for pilots and crew...
    EU law is very clear when it comes to strikes, save for care and assistance and rerouting you get nowt as far as EC261
    Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:25 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
    Oh gosh. I hadn't seen this thread til now and I have a lot of BA travel over the next 30 days. Please don't strike!!! Be thankful you have a job!!
    Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by stimpy
    Oh gosh. I hadn't seen this thread til now and I have a lot of BA travel over the next 30 days. Please don't strike!!! Be thankful you have a job!!
    Jeez, what a selfish response. I'm generally no fan of industrial action but MF are seemingly treated appallingly by BA and I'm 100% behind them on this (and yes, I have flights booked over the period too)
    Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:04 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peck
    Jeez, what a selfish response. I'm generally no fan of industrial action but MF are seemingly treated appallingly by BA and I'm 100% behind them on this (and yes, I have flights booked over the period too)
    Maybe I care about myself, sure. But they are fools if they can't see which way the winds are blowing. I repeat, be happy you have a job. Time waits for no man and air crews cannot go back to the "good old days". There are millions of people out of work around the world who would be happy to take their jobs.
    Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:17 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Well that ok then!
    Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...and Mucci.
    Originally Posted by stimpy
    Maybe I care about myself, sure. But they are fools if they can't see which way the winds are blowing. I repeat, be happy you have a job. Time waits for no man and air crews cannot go back to the "good old days". There are millions of people out of work around the world who would be happy to take their jobs.
    With the exception of those who transferred from other fleets, MF crew never experienced the "good old days". They feel BA has not delivered the income levels that they were led to believe would be the case when they were employed, and that what they earn is not sustainable.
    Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:27 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
    With the exception of those who transferred from other fleets, MF crew never experienced the "good old days". They feel BA has not delivered the income levels that they were led to believe would be the case when they were employed, and that what they earn is not sustainable.
    If you don't like your job, then quit. Reinvent yourself into a new field if you have to. That is the reality of the times we are living in. No one is promised a job nor a career. I would have thought the coal miners of the 1980's would have taught everyone in England that lesson. It is true in every industry. Even a computer programmer who was world class in programming in C, had to change it all when C++, Java, etc. came along. Adapt or die. I have to do it myself just about every year so I have zero sympathy for people trying to hold on to a sinking ship of a job. Either accept the job as it is given to you or find another one.
    Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
    Originally Posted by peck
    +1 ^ I have several flights booked as well... not a usual supporter of unions (think RMT and ASLEF holding Southern travelers hostage), but RMT paygrades are a bit different from MF... They have my full support, even if I quietly hope that it won't affect my flights :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.