Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Wouldnt it be a better model to register your credit card at booking and be given a booking code and then you would be charged when the crew return your receipts at base.
Or better still pre order and pay and order what you want prior to flying incuding full meal trays with free drinks
taking that idea further, how about having the option to buy a ticket that included a hot meal and unlimited drinks.. I bet if BA offered that as an option they would find that almost all passengers would select it.

Maybe be they could introduce it as a specific class of ticket in the ET cabin? Perhaps call it something like "Full Service Economy"?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Wouldnt it be a better model to register your credit card at booking and be given a booking code and then you would be charged when the crew return your receipts at base.
Or better still pre order and pay and order what you want prior to flying incuding full meal trays with free drinks
Then when your pre order is not loaded spend 6 months trying to get a refund from BA
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by furryman
taking that idea further, how about having the option to buy a ticket that included a hot meal and unlimited drinks.. I bet if BA offered that as an option they would find that almost all passengers would select it.

Maybe be they could introduce it as a specific class of ticket in the ET cabin? Perhaps call it something like "Full Service Economy"?
isnt that just CE? ;-)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Jonrross
isnt that just CE? ;-)
No CE on domestic flights though ah
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel1976
No CE on domestic flights though ah
There will be, but BA is not organised enough to make both changes at the same time.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've heard the next enhancement will be selling the first 6 rows of seats at an even higher premium with the tag "in these seats, you may have the opportunity to purchase a meal before it runs out"
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Good evening folks,

my 2nd BoB flight, back to BSL at 7.10pm.

A319 with light load: 72/107 in ET (67%).

One of two sale machines not working, no hot food orders as far as I could tell.

Quite a few purchases, around 10 I'd say, all < £5. Noticed one gentleman who was not happy at all when he was asked to pay for his drink.

Let me add that I don't like the payment machine. It is really difficult to cover the PIN code entering process in order for people not to see the PIN code.

Note that there was no rubbish collection at all...

Talked to a cabin crew member while waiting for the lavatory and she said that many crew members are unhappy with BoB, but also that it was easier and less stressful than expected because not many customers buy something. She added that on most flights something goes wrong with the machines.

Not impressed, really. The menu looks ok (although I expected it to be in every seat), but the choice is still not great. Only sandwiches as 'substantial meals', really?

Will reduce BA ETtravel this year and try to be more in the CE cabin if on BA.
Bolding mine

This is exactly what they want. By making CE seats the same as economy, and providing a basic catering service, they've basically made club Europe the old economy. And they are charging huge, inflated prices for it
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sparth3103
I've heard the next enhancement will be selling the first 6 rows of seats at an even higher premium with the tag "in these seats, you may have the opportunity to purchase a meal before it runs out"
Boring and not funny.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by BHDATC
Boring and not funny.
I thought it was quite good actually
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by furryman
I bet if BA offered that as an option they would find that almost all passengers would select it.
Certainly not me nor the people who have either directly experienced or read FT accounts of flights where the crew never makes it past row 5 of ET by the time the cabin is prepared for landing...
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can any BA employee tell us how often the potable water tanks are cleaned?
I've been told by FA's (not on BA) that they won't drink the potable water or even the coffee and tea made with it because they don't trust the cleanliness of the tanks.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by BHDATC
Boring and not funny.

A very good description of a 2 hour plus flight with absolutley zero service.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Just got of an American Airlines flight from
LGA to ATL. Everyone in Y got pretzels and soft drinks (including mineral water and coffee or tea). I got a 330cl Coke Zero can. As BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald), they came to my row and proactively offered me the choice of an alcoholoic drink or cocktail. I opted for White Wine. They apologized for not having sandwiches to give me as the plane was originally an E175 of AA Eagle that got substitued by a mainline AA 738. So AA is now so much better than BA and they value Emerald customers from partner airlines.

Never would have thought that BA would be worse than US airlines but it is now. I just got a nunwood survey for my Friday's LHR-BRU. BA will get a maximum of 2 points (out of 10). For the first time, I will recommend my friends and family not to fly BA. And I will not renew my Gold status this year. I have reached Silver thanks to RJ. And I am cancelling my BA Mykonos reward flights and going with Aegean.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:13 pm

BoB will be ironed out on shorthaul first and then introduced on shorter long hauls for second service routines, particularly East Coast and Middle East. Free alcohol on long haul Y won't last where BA can make £££. Looking forward to my Virgin Atlantic JFK in March: pretzels with my first drink, a hot meal and a pre landing sandwich and cake. Why would anyone keep flying BA in Y?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
BoB will be ironed out on shorthaul first and then introduced on shorter long hauls for second service routines, particularly East Coast and Middle East. Free alcohol on long haul Y won't last where BA can make £££. Looking forward to my Virgin Atlantic JFK in March: pretzels with my first drink, a hot meal and a pre landing sandwich and cake. Why would anyone keep flying BA in Y?
I think you've hit the nail on the head with your first two sentences. BA appear to be using the EXACT same tactics as they did with the catering offering in SH Domestic and ET. Make the offering so poor in terms of both quality and quantity passengers start feeding back that they've got to the point they'd be happier paying for food and drink on board as long as the quality and quantity was improved.

The miniscule snack offering in place of the 2nd meal in LH Y is exactly this. Once BA has stoked up enough negative feedback about this and got passengers to the point where they'd willingly pay for something decent.... then BoB gets rolled out to LH Y.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Jan 24, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.