Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
[QUOTE=Prospero;27761441]Now that I’ve tried and tested BA BOB, I thought i’d share a few notes to the extensive hymn sheet.

When the news first leaked out, I was a little saddened as I feared the introduction of F&B would shift the emphasis from calm hospitality to frenetic inflight sales. Unfortunately my fears were founded today as I sampled the new product. The ET offering had been for many years a token offering which seamed to work well with passengers and crew. It was a statement that ringed when you travel with BA, the airline will look after you and as the flights are in the main so short, there wasn’t really any pressing need to dine onboard. If you wanted something more substantial than a finger sandwich, well CE was a viable optio ....

so sad
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:57 pm

I felt like I was on Ryanair today.

One run through asking for hot food orders, then the trolley takes forever to go down the aisle due to staff incompetence and the way they have set things up.

Then not much later, the duty free run. No trolley of course.

No scratchies offered, but really I felt like I had no toilet access and most announcements were for BA to earn more revenue.

Because we all think about the children... Neither flight today asked for the usual charity donations. I wonder why?!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I felt like I was on Ryanair today.

One run through asking for hot food orders, then the trolley takes forever to go down the aisle due to staff incompetence and the way they have set things up.

Then not much later, the duty free run. No trolley of course.

No scratchies offered, but really I felt like I had no toilet access and most announcements were for BA to earn more revenue.
"Staff incompetence"

Nice to see you are the kind of person that expects crew to get it 100% right the first time. I mean they could never have sold food and drink in their lives, let alone from a brand new machine, that is, in fact the incompetent compontent here. Give them a break will you, some of us recieved our one day training 3 months ago!!

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
"Staff incompetence"
The staff member in question is Mr.Cruz.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:06 pm

"Staff incompetence"

Nice to see you are the kind of person that expects crew to get it 100% right the first time. I mean they could never have sold food and drink in their lives, let alone from a brand new machine, that is, in fact the incompetent compontent here. Give them a break will you, some of us recieved our one day training 3 months ago!!

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
I love you too. Who do you think I'm blaming? The staff directly? Their training? BA as a whole? Or whichever clown decided this idea was good....
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:11 pm
Suspended

"Staff incompetence"

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Seems like this is 100% on management.

It would be interesting to know if there was any in-air beta testing which would have seemingly quickly caught some of the problems with the technology.

Also, amazing there wasn't at least several rounds of online webinars - easy to do and virtually no cost for presenters or viewers.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:29 pm

Do I understand it right? I pay premium for a product that is actually worse than Ryanair/Easyjet? (At least there I can expect to buy whatever I want reasonably fast..)

So why are the fares much higher than Ryanair/Easyjet then?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Do I understand it right? I pay premium for a product that is actually worse than Ryanair/Easyjet? (At least there I can expect to buy whatever I want reasonably fast..)

So why are the fares much higher than Ryanair/Easyjet then?
It's called the free market.

BA can charge what they like.

Don't like it? Choose someone else.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyer200

Actually, it's bad management - which is allowed by the free market.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyer200

Absolutely. If you complain, but still buy the product as often as you did before then your complaint isn't worth much.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by Washington DC
Easyjet do as well.

For a trip in a couple of weeks, by buying Easyjet I saved £140 over a BA HBO fare and got a ticket that came with fast track security, priority boarding, free changes, an exit row seat, a checked bag, guaranteed two bags in the cabin, and a voucher for BOB. Compared with BA, I don't get lounge access.
Yes, had free food on my LGW-EDI flight this evening because I'd switched from BA to Easyjet (£5 of free food/drink when flying on a FLEXIfare). Priority boarding was handled perfectly, I had a free seat beside me in the exit row and we landed early. The ticket had cost £74.99 which I thought was reasonable given that I wasn't sure whether I'd need to fly on the Fri or the Sat when I booked and needed the flexibility to change the flight for free.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:59 pm

I really do think you are all being a little harsh.....

This game changing(not necessarily for the better I might add), service has been on the go for 3, 3!!!! days.

It was always going to take a little while to bed in, being such a fundamental change. Lots of comments about service times etc, simple truth is that there is no failsafe way to introduce this new service, everyone, in front, and behind the scenes is working our/their hardest to get this right.

I don't think there is a business on the planet that would get such a big change right immediately and faultlessly.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:01 pm

By the way.. ask Swiss on how well their "BOB" concept worked (around 2003/2004) - I think it ended with nearly bankrupting the second time (after 2001 SR, RIP), and being bought by LH for peanuts..
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:06 pm
Suspended

I don't think there is a business on the planet that would get such a big change right immediately and faultlessly.
However, it does 'sound' like there were some holes in the implementation - i.e. - training and perhaps 'live' testing.

Littlegirl specifically mentioned technology problems that need to be addressed, and it seems unanimous from cabin crew there was limited training that took place several months ago.

In other words, it does appear to be rather shoddy implementation - of course, not knowing the details.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:49 am

I'm also curious how much wastage and processing costs there is. Half empty trolleys of food go back to a central place, have to either be thrown out or checked and repacked. Checking isn't simple either. Use by dates, ensuring food hasn't been kept out of the chilled zone for too long etc.

My guess is at the end of the return flight, anything perishable is thrown out and anything like chocolate, crisps etc retained, re-sorted etc.

Sounds like a lot of cost overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.