Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by scandiflyers
If my ticket is booked through my work travel agency, do I need to go through them to do FCOD or can I do it via MMB / call centre?
If you are changing the first leg of your trip, ie the outbound it will need the be changed through the agent as they will still have control of the ticket, if you have travelled out and want to change the return leg you should be able to do this via whatever channel you prefer
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CO58
If you are changing the first leg of your trip, ie the outbound it will need the be changed through the agent as they will still have control of the ticket, if you have travelled out and want to change the return leg you should be able to do this via whatever channel you prefer
is that true on the day tho when you would be doing SDC? I thought on the day of travel of the outbound the control goes to the airline?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
is that true on the day tho when you would be doing SDC? I thought on the day of travel of the outbound the control goes to the airline?
Full control is only limited to pre-outbound. In that instance any changes must be done through whoever you booked the ticket with.
Post outbound travel the original agent or the airline can make changes, the only caveat to that is if you are already checked in you must get yourself "offloaded" before an agent can make a change, in this instance you need to speak to the airline so you may as well change it through them
Old Nov 6, 2023, 1:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Full control is only limited to pre-outbound. In that instance any changes must be done through whoever you booked the ticket with.
Post outbound travel the original agent or the airline can make changes, the only caveat to that is if you are already checked in you must get yourself "offloaded" before an agent can make a change, in this instance you need to speak to the airline so you may as well change it through them
ok, but this doesn't seem to tally with the reported experiences posted earlier in this thread in terms of who to do SDC with on the day, or requiring that you are offloaded first before doing the SDC.

SDC is a very specific type of change which involves only a ticket revalidation, rather than a ticket reissue which a normal change would require.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by crazy8534
You can definitely do a SDC after you have checked in, I do this pretty often. You can do it on the app and will get a new BP to download. The only time I have ever had a problem was when I booked a flight at short notice e.g. <48h but I am not sure if that was actually a function of the timeframe or some other issue with the booking.
Thanks KARFA and craxy8534! Very helpful hoping to try it out on a ZRH flight next month
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:53 am

I think yourre getting confused with voluntary changes on travel agency bookings, not free change on the day.

Theres no issue with calling BA to do free change on the day on a travel agency booking for the outbound flight.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Flying back from MAN tonight on an Economy Plus fare. Thought I could change my flight free of charge, but BA want 50 and claim the free bit is the fare difference.

Is that correct?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 5:03 am

If it is a same day change and an Economy Plus ticket on a simple routing ie Manchester - Heathrow then it can be done online and is free of charge. If it is a multi segment booking or includes a Hotel or Car Hire then it cannot be changed on the day free of charge.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Flying back from MAN tonight on an Economy Plus fare. Thought I could change my flight free of charge, but BA want 50 and claim the free bit is the fare difference.

Is that correct?
Sometimes it will initially say 50 change fee, but if you go through to the next screen, it is free. All assuming it's a normal ticket eligible for SDC.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 6:03 am

Hi Karfa

Did you see anything in writing that you cannot make a SDC with a BA Holidays booking ?

I managed to get British Airways Holidays to do this for one booking but it was not easy and they might have done it as a goodwill gesture.

It would be good to see the definitive situation in writing.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by LUFTY
Did you see anything in writing that you cannot make a SDC with a BA Holidays booking ?

I managed to get British Airways Holidays to do this for one booking but it was not easy and they might have done it as a goodwill gesture.

It would be good to see the definitive situation in writing.
Surely you want it the other way round, proof that you can do FCOD? The default is not to have it unless specifically mentioned in the fare conditions that its available.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
If I have an AA ticketed one-way flight LHR-JFK, would BA allow a same-day change to either an earlier or later flight?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
If I have an AA ticketed one-way flight LHR-JFK, would BA allow a same-day change to either an earlier or later flight?
Free same day change is not available on long haul flights

Any flexbility would be determined by the fare rules on your ticket and would likely involve change fees and fare difference.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:12 am

As a data point, I was able to do a FCOD at the check-in counter in CPH for CPH-LHR, on a Euro Traveller Plus fare booked through a travel agent and upgraded using Avios.

Obviously not complaining about this, but how does UuA affect the fare rules for FCOD (if at all)?
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've just done this at Heathrow for the first time.

Booked CE on the 1730 to Manchester, noticed there was 1 CE seat remaining on the 1255 departure.

Went to the FW and asked the agent if I could change, he rang ticketing up. He kept quoting disruption only but he'll ask. Was on hold for 5 minutes when I said the BA website says you can change for free on the day. He had not heard of this, but read the wording and did it there and then!
Bluekjp and Radiation Station like this.

Last edited by LancashireFlyer; Nov 27, 2023 at 4:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.