Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
That's not correct. When you make an open-jaw booking, you've got the option of selecting a basic or a plus fare in the fare selection stage (earlier on in the process).

This page clearly indicates that Plus fares can be changed on the day:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ort-haul-fares
Correct. And there's no reason why simple open-jaw should/would have any effect on the fare rule as I found out, positively, in a real life situation.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
That's not correct. When you make an open-jaw booking, you've got the option of selecting a basic or a plus fare in the fare selection stage (earlier on in the process).

it does, it also says "Conditions apply."

I have no experience of open jaw, but a connecting itinerary on an economy plus fare does not get SDC, so not all Plus fares can be changed on the day despite what the paragraph and chart on that page say
Anonba likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 3:09 am

That page doesnt mention anything about the surrounding t and c unfortunately
Old Sep 9, 2023, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
I have an old covid ticket that I rebooked through AMEX plat LAX-LHR-AMS in J on Sept 17 . I really want to get on the earlier flight as my plans changed and now I want to go to Madrid I tried to call and make the change and hope historical pricing would be there but the flight change would have costed 9k. if theres enough room on the earlier LAX-LHR would I be able to do the SDC will it show options for my second leg too or am I just SOL?
Old Sep 9, 2023, 4:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Amil
I have an old covid ticket that I rebooked through AMEX plat LAX-LHR-AMS in J on Sept 17 . I really want to get on the earlier flight as my plans changed and now I want to go to Madrid I tried to call and make the change and hope historical pricing would be there but the flight change would have costed 9k. if theres enough room on the earlier LAX-LHR would I be able to do the SDC will it show options for my second leg too or am I just SOL?
no you wouldnt have SDC on that kind of itinerary.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by KARFA
no you wouldn’t have SDC on that kind of itinerary.

boo thanks for the quick response Karfa!.... what is it specifically that makes this not eligible is it the extra leg or the 3rd party (amex) booking? (or both)
Old Sep 9, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Amil
boo thanks for the quick response Karfa!.... what is it specifically that makes this not eligible is it the extra leg or the 3rd party (amex) booking? (or both)
1/ not available on long haul
2/ not available on connecting itineraries

It is only available on simple point to point short haul bookings
jerry a. laska, Amil and KARFA like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:06 am

I'm looking at booking flights for LHR-BSL, then ZRH-LHR return, and am wondering if the economy Plus tickets would be eligible for SDC? The way they list the different fare options, it seems like it should be. Specifically they have the option to select "Economy Plus" on each leg which is said to include "Change flights on day of travel ----- Free until 1 hour before departure".
But I thought this is an open jaw flight and therefore would be a "too complicated" itinerary to be available for SDC?
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by lemeyer2016
I'm looking at booking flights for LHR-BSL, then ZRH-LHR return, and am wondering if the economy Plus tickets would be eligible for SDC? The way they list the different fare options, it seems like it should be. Specifically they have the option to select "Economy Plus" on each leg which is said to include "Change flights on day of travel ----- Free until 1 hour before departure".
But I thought this is an open jaw flight and therefore would be a "too complicated" itinerary to be available for SDC?
The advice on here was/is that open-jaws were not eligible.
However, last week I did change an open-jaw ticket on the same day and the agent on the phone specifically said that the ticket was valid for SDC even though it was open-jaw and having apparently looked at my specific ticket data and endorsements before making said change.
I suppose that this response doesn't really help you!

Last edited by Bluekjp; Sep 19, 2023 at 8:18 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Bluekjp
The advice on here was/is that open-jaws were not eligible.
However, last week I did change an open-jaw ticket on the same day and the agent on the phone specifically said that the ticket was valid for SDC even though it was open-jaw and having apparently looked at my specific ticket data and endorsements before making said change.
I suppose that this response doesn't really help you!

And this was on an economy plus ticket? Did you have to call them / was going through the app not an option?
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by lemeyer2016
And this was on an economy plus ticket? Did you have to call them / was going through the app not an option?
It was a Club Europe ticket which makes no difference as the rules are the same for Economy Plus. I could not change online. I wasn't given the option to input the same day or any other day to make a change online. It simply said that this ticket cannot be amended online, please call our service centre. Be aware, a number of agents on the Gold Line have never heard about the SDC feature. I had a related question a few weeks ago and had to hang up and redial 3 times because the agents had no idea what I was talking about. Third time lucky though and an agent was able to admirably answer a question on the subject.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Bluekjp
It was a Club Europe ticket which makes no difference as the rules are the same for Economy Plus. I could not change online. I wasn't given the option to input the same day or any other day to make a change online. It simply said that this ticket cannot be amended online, please call our service centre. Be aware, a number of agents on the Gold Line have never heard about the SDC feature. I had a related question a few weeks ago and had to hang up and redial 3 times because the agents had no idea what I was talking about. Third time lucky though and an agent was able to admirably answer a question on the subject.
There are lots of new agents currently and it takes time to get upto speed. If you do call ask for free change on the day as this what it is referred to at BA for policy.
ExpatExp and Bluekjp like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: AC Ennui 50K BA Gold EIL Carte Blanche
SDC works on BA Holidays bookings, right?
Old Sep 20, 2023, 6:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boreas
SDC works on BA Holidays bookings, right?
I am sure I looked at this recently due to a similar query - and the answer was no.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: AC Ennui 50K BA Gold EIL Carte Blanche
Ouch! Thanks though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.