Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes it's enforced. You need to be checked in 60 minutes to departure, and after that time standby passengers get processed. That 60 minutes deadline is enforced and unrelated to FCOD. LCY has a 20: minutes bag drop limit but it is still 1: hour for check in
Thanks but I am confused as I thought short-haul check-in deadline was 45 minutes as per BA.com?

https://www.britishairways.com/conte...ng/checking-in

And TBH this is really tangential to whether FCOD (or, actually, any change) works after T-60 on BA.com.

I shall have to experiment and report back.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:59 am

I've tried to search for the answer, but I'm still not clear. Does anyone know if a standard return booked with an OTA is eligible for FCOD?

And if so, can it be done as normal after midnight online, or do you have to phone up to do it?

Some people seem to suggest it might be possible, and others have said they couldn't do it.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by geogad
I've tried to search for the answer, but I'm still not clear. Does anyone know if a standard return booked with an OTA is eligible for FCOD?

And if so, can it be done as normal after midnight online, or do you have to phone up to do it?

Some people seem to suggest it might be possible, and others have said they couldn't do it.
There is no rule that says you need to buy direct from BA to get FCOD, so yes OTA tickets could be eligible.

It would depend on exactly what the OTA sold you.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:44 am

Thanks Scottishpoet,

The OTA is Edreams, though I can't find the fare rules or booking class anywhere. Does anyone know if their tickets would typically be eligible?

And if so, can it be done online?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks Scottishpoet,

The OTA is Edreams, though I can't find the fare rules or booking class anywhere. Does anyone know if their tickets would typically be eligible?

And if so, can it be done online?
Basic fares - hand baggage only fares - do not have FCOD. Plus fares and CE do. So if you are in CE on a point to point fare you should have it. If in ET and point to point, the big clue is whether checked baggage is included or not.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:46 am

Thank you!
I will be booking Club Europe. So sounds like it should work.

Will this be online as per a direct booking via BA, or will I likely have to phone?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you!
I will be booking Club Europe. So sounds like it should work.

Will this be online as per a direct booking via BA, or will I likely have to phone?
Any changes should be possible online, and there is a process agents can use too, to make changes via their systems. But worse case scenario is a phone call, so best to allow time for it. I'm sure you are aware that CE is often full, so just because FCOD exists it doesn't mean a particular course of action can happen.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Normally I cannot use SDC/FCOD as I'm on a connecting flight but last Saturday I was in Cambridge and had the 1900 LHR-EDI flight, I used the app and was able to change to the 1755 LHR-EDI flight ( could have booked flights from 1540 but decided to have a relaxing day ( needed also to make a detour via the hilton T4 to pick up a holdall ( saved 30 compared to airport storage and haulage effort to/from Cambridge)
App worked perfectly and was even able to snag 1F
Although only 1 hour earlier, due to public transport from EDI ( tram to Edinburgh park then Scotrail). I got home 2hrs earlier

Regards

TBS
PETER01 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:08 pm

Hi All

It’s great that this popped up as I was looking to move my booking tomorrow to an earlier flight.

I’m in Club Europe, does this mean I can change my flight tomorrow without any penalty? The fares today were crazy and not really justifiable.

I have just checked in however …

Cheers
Old Oct 18, 2023, 4:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Simon12001
Hi All

It’s great that this popped up as I was looking to move my booking tomorrow to an earlier flight.

I’m in Club Europe, does this mean I can change my flight tomorrow without any penalty? The fares today were crazy and not really justifiable.

Cheers
If it's a revenue CE fare, point to point, have no luggage checked in, then yes and on the day so after midnight.

See the Wiki for more details, here too.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...so%20long%20as
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Simon12001
Hi All

does this mean I can change my flight tomorrow without any penalty?

Cheers
Don't forget it is not a a given - if the fares were crazy, then the CE cabins may be full and then you won’t be able to SDC. Don’t worry about having already checked in - I do SDC regularly on my flights to EDI and even when I have my boarding pass, it still works.

what I would say is even if the flight you want is not showing up - keep trying. On the EDI route for instance, other people move around and sometimes space pops up nearer to departure so keep trying if not successful straight away.

aks120
Old Oct 21, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott LTTE, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Are BA-marketed, EI-operated flights (in my case LHR-DUB) eligible for FCOD? And if so, can you switch to a BA-operated flight?
Old Oct 21, 2023, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by nutty92
Are BA-marketed, EI-operated flights (in my case LHR-DUB) eligible for FCOD? And if so, can you switch to a BA-operated flight?
Unforutnately not, just BA operated services.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unforutnately not, just BA operated services.
And BA*IB on LHR-MAD route only.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Recently did a SDC / FCOD on a DUB-LCY and noticed that alternative flights offered just after midnight differed from those offered at 8am next morning due to a couple of last minute cancellations, one of which would have been my option of choice had I changed just after midnight. Luckily by waiting a few hours I didn't find myself having changed to an alternative only to find I'd been automatically rebooked back onto the original 👍

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.