Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2023, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
It states in the guide above, dated 2019, that open jaw tickets are not possible to change with the SDC feature.
I'd just like to check if anyone can still confirm that to be the case.
My ticket fulfills all other stipulations and is a simple CE LHR/BHD///MAN/LHR

Many thanks
Old Aug 11, 2023, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Bluekjp
It states in the guide above, dated 2019, that open jaw tickets are not possible to change with the SDC feature.

Many thanks
Open jaw still arent eligible. If you try and book a dummy one way or return on ba.com you will see the applicable text for FCOD, whereas if you do open jaw this isnt displayed.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'm on an AA RTW ticket that's *technically* a roundtrip, since it starts and ends in OSL. The first leg is OSL-LHR-JFK - would OSL-LHR be eligible in CE for FCOD?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm on an AA RTW ticket that's *technically* a roundtrip, since it starts and ends in OSL. The first leg is OSL-LHR-JFK - would OSL-LHR be eligible in CE for FCOD?
Unfortunately not as it only applies to simple Plus and CE tickets and any on carriage (connections) are excluded. See the Wiki for more details.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:23 am

SDC for BA Holidays

Hi all,

I saw on another forum that same day flight changes were possible on some BAH bookings. I had to speak to the duty office today, and asked if it would be possible and they told me no. My flight out was fare class Q, which I know is low. The flight back is H. Does anyone know why they said I cant do a SDC? Ive seen on their trade support site that the fare basis needs to be V2 or higher - but unsure how to check mine. Cant make any changes online - just says to call them if I want to make a change.

Any advice on how to check if I am eligible, or why Im not would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I just don't think BAH do basic and plus fares unfortunately when booking a package, so no SDC when booking with them.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 11:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I agree, and if you look at the history behind FCOD - and the way it was introduced after investigation of easyJet's ticketing - there would no marketing reason for FCOD to apply to BAH bookings. Plus ticket have a particular marketing proposition, sliced between Basic and Club, whereas BAH is just a package.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by JoshR
.... Ive seen on their trade support site that the fare basis needs to be V2 or higher - but unsure how to check mine....Any advice on how to check if I am eligible, or why Im not would be much appreciated!
Look at the endorsements line of your e-ticket receipt and if it includes /-v2 or /-v3 then it should be eligible for SDC, providing it meets the other criteria, ie a simple domestic or shorthaul single or return.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I agree, and if you look at the history behind FCOD - and the way it was introduced after investigation of easyJet's ticketing - there would no marketing reason for FCOD to apply to BAH bookings. Plus ticket have a particular marketing proposition, sliced between Basic and Club, whereas BAH is just a package.
Originally Posted by KARFA
I just don't think BAH do basic and plus fares unfortunately when booking a package, so no SDC when booking with them.
Originally Posted by heartybob
Look at the endorsements line of your e-ticket receipt and if it includes /-v2 or /-v3 then it should be eligible for SDC, providing it meets the other criteria, ie a simple domestic or shorthaul single or return.
So I just got off the phone with BAH duty office, and they happily did a SDC for me! Very pleased with the result, considering the agent I spoke to on Friday said it wouldnt be possible. Now I can wake up at 9am instead of 4am! I guess BAH are hit and miss

and my endorsements: PAX 055997/L/ADT/UK FARE REF CHGS ISS AGT
Old Sep 5, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Am I eligible for free same day change on a J cash ticket booked through BA but travelling on a Finnair aircraft (HEL-LHR)?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 9:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
no you wouldn't have SDC
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 3:12 am

Many thanks
To answer my own question above you can initiate SDC on open-jaw tickets. Ba.com simply said that this reservation was not changeable online after hitting the change itinerary button. I didn't even have the chance to tell it what date I wanted. Therefore a phone call was necessary.
This is taking place at 06.30 before the gold line is open so I am speaking with the Indian call centre. After clearing security I said to the call centre member that I would like to make a free SDC. She replied that she had to read the rules of my ticket then quickly responded that the rules did allow it. She promptly reissued the ticket whilst I waited. I was booked in I class on the 20.15 and moved to my requested 16.00 which had 8 x J available.
Looking at this logically my fare basis for the LHR/MAN was tne same as if it were a simple LHR/MAN return and my open-jaw had the same v2 or v3 endorsement. The devoted page on ba.com regarding plus fares (and although omitted online, CE fares) states they allow free SDC and does not say you're penalised if you have open-jaw.
Whether this can be considered a data point I'll leave to you to decide for yourselves but if so, this is a very good thing.
I just wish to reiterate that the agent read the rules of my ticket. She wasn't cavalier in any way and I always find that the Indian call centre tend to be super-careful in what they do.

Last edited by Bluekjp; Sep 7, 2023 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 7, 2023, 3:03 pm

To answer my own question above you can initiate SDC on open-jaw tickets. Ba.com simply said that this reservation was not changeable online after hitting the change itinerary button. I didn't even have the chance to tell it what date I wanted. Therefore a phone call was necessary.
This is taking place at 06.30 before the gold line is open so I am speaking with the Indian call centre. After clearing security I said to the call centre member that I would like to make a free SDC. She replied that she had to read the rules of my ticket then quickly responded that the rules did allow it. She promptly reissued the ticket whilst I waited. I was booked in I class on the 20.15 and moved to my requested 16.00 which had 8 x J available.
Looking at this logically my fare basis for the LHR/MAN was tne same as if it were a simple LHR/MAN return and my open-jaw had the same v2 or v3 endorsement. The devoted page on ba.com regarding plus fares (and although omitted online, CE fares) states they allow free SDC and does not say you're penalised if you have open-jaw.
Whether this can be considered a data point I'll leave to you to decide for yourselves but if so, this is a very good thing.
I just wish to reiterate that the agent read the rules of my ticket. She wasn't cavalier in any way and I always find that the Indian call centre tend to be super-careful in what they do.
As ive mentioned above previously, if you make a open jaw booking the rules for free change on the day arent displayed therefore it isnt eligible.

Further to this free change on the day isnt specified in fare rules- hence often issues with it, so not sure where they read this from.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 1:27 am

When you make a (dummy) reservation on, say, mobile ba.com as a simple LON/MAN return and click on rules it immediately mentions the usual 100 fee and the SDC. When your dummy reservation is LON/MAN//BHD/LON and you click on fare rules your are just lead to minimum stay rules and service fees. There is nothing about 100 fees or SDC. Instead you get a link 'Full info on charges for changes and cancellations'. This is just the general waffle on 100 fees, tickets issued in the US, EMDs etc etc. Tons of it. This covers HBO, Plus fares and all. It isn't specific to fare booked and the niche SDC rule. The agent yesterday looked at my specific fare and endorsement and said that my open jaw ticket is definitely valid for SDC.
This is my take on it anyway :-)
Old Sep 8, 2023, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
As ive mentioned above previously, if you make a open jaw booking the rules for free change on the day arent displayed therefore it isnt eligible.

Further to this free change on the day isnt specified in fare rules- hence often issues with it, so not sure where they read this from.
That's not correct. When you make an open-jaw booking, you've got the option of selecting a basic or a plus fare in the fare selection stage (earlier on in the process).

This page clearly indicates that Plus fares can be changed on the day:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ort-haul-fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.