Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BlueThroughCrimp
BA and CX have jointly blocked close in booking between HKG and Taiwan and parts of China with a minimum of 5 days before departure.

Unfortunately as a result of significant levels of fraudulent activity CX have removed access to redemption availability -5 days to departure until further notice. (BA Executive Club)
It is not sure that when this limit will be lifted and people are advised to phone up to book their flights if it is short to departure (even though it may not work)

UPDATES:
- 12/07/2016 The block has been lifted for flights to and from Taiwan.
- 28/10/2016 Looks like there is a 7 days block for flights between HKG and PEK, PVG, XIY (Xi'an), CKG (Chongqing). There may also be a 5 days block on TPE again...
- 28/10/2016 Flights to CTU and WUH still face the 7 days block afaik
- 30/11/2016 Even for TPE there is a 7 days block
- 13/12/2016 Basically everything is blocked, including TYO, LHR and so on.
- 28/02/2017 RIP redemptions to MAINLAND CHINA T-5
- 11/03/2017 Blocked all CX/KA online & phone redemptions to/from All Mainland China, TPE, Malaysia & Singapore flights 9 days from departure !
- 14/03/2017 Ok, folks. CX is blocking ON MOST award spaces for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 9 days prior to departure now.
- 15/03/2017 CX (or rather BA) is blocking CX/KA redemptions blocking ON MOST award spaces between HKG and USA, EU, Japan, Taiwan flights for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 22 days prior to departure! Each destination is inconsistent with availability. Some are not available less than 7 days, some as in the case of Japan is 22 days prior to departure.
- 11/08/2017 All CX/KA redemptions are blocked online when close to departure. While most can be booked by phone, Chinese routes may still be blocked when close to departure.

Print Wikipost

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Algorithm?

Originally Posted by sxc
I don't think this is a BA Avios specific reduction in CX award availability. All CX availability to oneworld redemption partners has been reduced under the same algorithm.
I'm not convinced that for holiday periods any algorithm exists. Based on testing as previously and over the last few weeks it is clear that CX now completely block availability for periods.It looks to be a human not an algorithm. For the last ten years we have been able to pick up availability in J a few days out over Christmas/Easter/CNY. Invariably on red eye flights but not a big issue as we have a place in Macau. This Christmas and CNY I could/can find nothing even with a call to BA. EF is showing 9's in all classes on several flights to MNL over CNY but still no availability. It is working as a pretty effective cartel with PR, ZZ and 5J massively hiking prices. Will be a case this CNY of who blinks first LOL. 5J seem to be starting to move prices down to from MFM.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:51 am

No 8/7 day block on ba.com CX Avios availability

I've been checking avail HKG to MNL/BKK during January for several weeks now.

As of today (January 10) avail is showing to both destinations on January 16. So clearly no 7/8 days out block.

I can't see any other day in January showing CX avail on these routes.

BKK is one W ticket only. MNL is most flights in W & J. Y avail existed until a few days ago. J avail has been increasing. I can see no correlation between avail on this and adjacent days with what EF shows. Indeed this day looks considerably busier on these routes than many other dates in this month.

Are CX simply making seasts available for redemption on the middle day of the month to comply with some OW rule?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Modo
As of today (January 10) avail is showing to both destinations on January 16. So clearly no 7/8 days out block.
The block is down to 6 days. But still blocking <6:

BAEC:

QF FF:
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
The block is down to 6 days. But still blocking <6:

QF FF:
That appears to be the new normal. All availability on January 16 has disappeared as of local time January 11. I haven't called BA to check whether the date is still available through the call center.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
On Feb 4, I called BA and was able to book next day redemption on CX (after calling CX to confirm redemption availability) for Hong Kong to Taiwan, FWIW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.