Looking for some info for LHR > PA in WTP

Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
Looking for some info for LHR > PA in WTP

Good Afternoon,

Usually for my Family vacation we fly EDI > LGW > MCO on the newly refurbished 777's which i have been very impressed with the recent face-lift, but have found a really good saving going via PHL.

I don"t know anything about the 747 WTP cabins so any information would be appreciated i had a quick look for trip reports but couldn't find any.

Also interested in your opinions is it worth it to save a few 100 quid or should i bite the bullet and pay the extra to fly on the 777?

Thanks in advance,

Colnic2011

Last edited by Colnic2011; Feb 7, 2020 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
You will find more information about the 747 WTP here:

Seating Queries: World Traveller Plus

It would be worth checking whether the aircraft is an 86J or 52J version. You can check by looking at the WTP row numbers available in the seating plan.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

You mean PHL, Philadelphia?

The 'Super-J, the 86 seat version in WTP is comfortable and I've done a few trips in there. There's a thread on this if that helps. I would choose 35 J/K and 36 J/K if available. The loo behind row 36 really isn't an issue as there's a curtain behind you and the WTP is a very small cabin anyhow.

There's 9/16 mid-J's refurbished too with the new Panasonic IFE which is very good too. More info in the BA Forum Dashboard but there are a few videos of WTP Trip Reports on YouTube.

3:15 to 3:30
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
Yeah my mistake it is indeed PHL, thanks for the Information and the seat tip.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Colnic2011
Yeah my mistake it is indeed PHL, thanks for the Information and the seat tip.
Pleasure. Having had a new look there's quite a number of WTP videos including the 52-J as some which have been refurbished. Plus, to PHL the K side avoids the Sun too. If cash savings trumps convenience then go for it but always best to take some IFE with you in case it's an old bird but I think PHL get's its share of the Super-J.

As always though nothing ever guaranteed so always worth keeping a regular eye on the seat map etc. Good luck!
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:03 am

Only you can answer the question about whether it's worth it, as it depends on what the sum is worth to you? Is it a drop in the ocean? Then go direct. Will the saving mean you can pay your mortgage this month? Then go via PHL.

One thing to think about is the length of the outward journey. With a domestic (UK) connection you've already got a long-ish day. Add into that enough time to clear customs and take another flight and it's starting to look really long. It used to be sensible to allow at least 3 hours between flights to clear immigration and recheck bags anywhere in the US but things are generally better now. But if you do connect (assuming on the same ticket) then look at the time - if it's a shortish connection, what will you do if the incoming flight is delayed? How much buffer will you have? A longer connection will mitigate that but extend your day.

If it's all on one ticket, then missing the connection would mean they'd reaccommodate you but that's not all that comforting if you're on the last flight of the day. Or if there are flights, but no seats available. In most cases, you won't be delayed enough to need this, but it can and does happen. Saving money by going indirect isn't without additional risk and consideration. Only you can figure out if that's worth it.

Coming home is less of an issue. Most people are less affected if their plans are disrupted.
Colnic2011 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.