Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BlueThroughCrimp
BA and CX have jointly blocked close in booking between HKG and Taiwan and parts of China with a minimum of 5 days before departure.

Unfortunately as a result of significant levels of fraudulent activity CX have removed access to redemption availability -5 days to departure until further notice. (BA Executive Club)
It is not sure that when this limit will be lifted and people are advised to phone up to book their flights if it is short to departure (even though it may not work)

UPDATES:
- 12/07/2016 The block has been lifted for flights to and from Taiwan.
- 28/10/2016 Looks like there is a 7 days block for flights between HKG and PEK, PVG, XIY (Xi'an), CKG (Chongqing). There may also be a 5 days block on TPE again...
- 28/10/2016 Flights to CTU and WUH still face the 7 days block afaik
- 30/11/2016 Even for TPE there is a 7 days block
- 13/12/2016 Basically everything is blocked, including TYO, LHR and so on.
- 28/02/2017 RIP redemptions to MAINLAND CHINA T-5
- 11/03/2017 Blocked all CX/KA online & phone redemptions to/from All Mainland China, TPE, Malaysia & Singapore flights 9 days from departure !
- 14/03/2017 Ok, folks. CX is blocking ON MOST award spaces for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 9 days prior to departure now.
- 15/03/2017 CX (or rather BA) is blocking CX/KA redemptions blocking ON MOST award spaces between HKG and USA, EU, Japan, Taiwan flights for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 22 days prior to departure! Each destination is inconsistent with availability. Some are not available less than 7 days, some as in the case of Japan is 22 days prior to departure.
- 11/08/2017 All CX/KA redemptions are blocked online when close to departure. While most can be booked by phone, Chinese routes may still be blocked when close to departure.

Print Wikipost

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
That makes me feel a bit better. And no phone service fee?

Does the wiki need to be updated? It implies that you can't get availability for last minute bookings, even on the phone.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:24 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Well actually I haven't tried since Guy Betsy last updated the wiki on 15 March. My data was mostly 2016/early 2017.

I just tried staff's case - yes he can call for this week's BOM flights. I tried Thursday and 3002 1208 can see it.

But a sample size of 1 is not big enough to update the wiki over
Besides, no idea when BA will decide to shut off phone redemption next.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Thanks Percy!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Well this is infuriating..... Just moved to HK and was looking forward to last minute weekends away around the region but looks like this will not be happening without any advance planning. Are the flights still available to book over the phone last minute Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:47 pm

See #122
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Another data point for this weekend...

Tried booking HKG-HAN for a weekend getaway this Saturday. Plenty of seats on Qantas but nothing on BA. Phoned up and they could get them no problem.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Another data point - I could see availability on the CX website for flights in the next few days, but none on the BA site. Called up, and they could see the same availability as CX website. Confirmed with them that there wouldn't be any phone fees as I couldn't see the availability online (but are phone fees waived for golds anyway?).

Destination was not to/from China.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: MPC Diamond
One more datapoint. Just made Avios booking for HKG-ICN this weekend on CX via phone since online no longer available. He confirmed to me there would be no phone fee "for this type of booking" (I didn't ask him to clarify since it had taken us a long time to get this far). Will check to confirm and report back if I actually get charged.

One question for others: have you experienced your CCs being declined when doing this? I had to go through four of them before we found one that would work (these were cards already saved in my BAEC account FWIW)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by calf613
One more datapoint. Just made Avios booking for HKG-ICN this weekend on CX via phone since online no longer available. He confirmed to me there would be no phone fee "for this type of booking" (I didn't ask him to clarify since it had taken us a long time to get this far). Will check to confirm and report back if I actually get charged.

One question for others: have you experienced your CCs being declined when doing this? I had to go through four of them before we found one that would work (these were cards already saved in my BAEC account FWIW)
What call center is everyone having success with? I just tried the HK number for HKG-CTU/CKG/PVG and it's blocked until the 19th. The US center isn't currently open but I may try tomorrow.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
What call center is everyone having success with? I just tried the HK number for HKG-CTU/CKG/PVG and it's blocked until the 19th. The US center isn't currently open but I may try tomorrow.
In my case I called the number under HK.

I wonder if there is a different rule for China routes vs other routes.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by calf613

One more data point that I booked HKG-LGW/LCY-EDI last Sunday for Sam's day departure on CX/BA and booked successfully on the phone with no fees.

Not that my CC was declined but I has issues having the trip ticketed. After the payment was told to be successful I was sent an urgent email asking to call back using a shortcut immediately. I was asked to say the full card number and the CVC again but still it wasn't immediately ticketed. I ended up going to the airport early for the lounges and at check-in in CX F counter I spent 35 minutes having another agent to speak to ticketing for me.

Called US centre but the person I spoke to sounded like Indian.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Originally Posted by sxc
In my case I called the number under HK.

I wonder if there is a different rule for China routes vs other routes.
I think there is. CX/KA Mainland China is blocked close in even if you phone. Period.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
I think there is. CX/KA Mainland China is blocked close in even if you phone. Period.
But there seem to be reports that phoning does work? See ESFLYER95's post on 7 August.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KARFA
But there seem to be reports that phoning does work? See ESFLYER95's post on 7 August.
That was to Hanoi which isn't China.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
That was to Hanoi which isn't China.
Ah ok. So only flights between HKG-China are blocked both online and on the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.