Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BlueThroughCrimp
BA and CX have jointly blocked close in booking between HKG and Taiwan and parts of China with a minimum of 5 days before departure.

Unfortunately as a result of significant levels of fraudulent activity CX have removed access to redemption availability -5 days to departure until further notice. (BA Executive Club)
It is not sure that when this limit will be lifted and people are advised to phone up to book their flights if it is short to departure (even though it may not work)

UPDATES:
- 12/07/2016 The block has been lifted for flights to and from Taiwan.
- 28/10/2016 Looks like there is a 7 days block for flights between HKG and PEK, PVG, XIY (Xi'an), CKG (Chongqing). There may also be a 5 days block on TPE again...
- 28/10/2016 Flights to CTU and WUH still face the 7 days block afaik
- 30/11/2016 Even for TPE there is a 7 days block
- 13/12/2016 Basically everything is blocked, including TYO, LHR and so on.
- 28/02/2017 RIP redemptions to MAINLAND CHINA T-5
- 11/03/2017 Blocked all CX/KA online & phone redemptions to/from All Mainland China, TPE, Malaysia & Singapore flights 9 days from departure !
- 14/03/2017 Ok, folks. CX is blocking ON MOST award spaces for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 9 days prior to departure now.
- 15/03/2017 CX (or rather BA) is blocking CX/KA redemptions blocking ON MOST award spaces between HKG and USA, EU, Japan, Taiwan flights for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 22 days prior to departure! Each destination is inconsistent with availability. Some are not available less than 7 days, some as in the case of Japan is 22 days prior to departure.
- 11/08/2017 All CX/KA redemptions are blocked online when close to departure. While most can be booked by phone, Chinese routes may still be blocked when close to departure.

Print Wikipost

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:44 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by percysmith
POS filtering
12/4
US member: KA397 and CX543 OK
CA member: JL only.
Again?

Fantastic
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
HK same availability as US
This time it's the Canadians who're disadvantaged HKG-SIN Avios Availability

Canadians have the same disabilities on 26/4 (HK: KA397 3Y, CX543 9Y, CX549 1PE, JL29 4Y 4PE; CA: JL29 4Y 4PE)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Been waiting a while to book HKG-TPE-HKG for 29-30 Jan and only 2-3 flights were available for each day with Avios when I started to check redemption availability daily from earlier this month up to 12th Jan. On Friday 13th seats were released for the majority of most flights for my dates so I snapped up my preferred flights. This is a high frequency route on CX.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Strawb
Been waiting a while to book HKG-TPE-HKG for 29-30 Jan and only 2-3 flights were available for each day with Avios when I started to check redemption availability daily from earlier this month up to 12th Jan. On Friday 13th seats were released for the majority of most flights for my dates so I snapped up my preferred flights. This is a high frequency route on CX.
But 28 Jan is our Chinese New Year and Mainlanders like to travel on the 2nd day after CNY (29 Jan) and after. I'd say you're luck to get anything (or maybe the direct cross-strait flights are giving CX/KA a pounding)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I wasn't sure if seats on majority of flights would open up for the 29th and 30th but kept checking daily. I know the few days before CNY there was zero availability so I guess I was lucky.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:25 pm

this is just awful. these 'alliances' are completely falling apart. with the new transfer bonus to Avios from hotels, i just checked to see if this situation has changed. it's obviously only gotten worse.

i have used Avios to book CX intra-Asia for years. last minute flights were always available. now, yep... every flight is blocked from 6 days out to everywhere in Asia. CX has soooo many flights to BKK daily that there are always tons of extra seats. well... unless you have avios= nada/blocked.

there is so much competition on these routes that it's not like were going to buy a CX ticket by default. and then there is the bizarre bag interlining thing.

worse (for CX), it will tilt people towards making KUL or SIN their asia hub instead of HKG. so far, no problem finding flights out of KUL. and KUL- PNH/SGN are 4500 avios. between KUL-BKK there are 4 flights going, 5 coming tmr, plus 1 for today leaving in 3 hours.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
I just made a next day booking for TPE, the award was indeed blocked (didn't show up) on ba.com. However, it showed up on the Qantas site. I called BA and they were able to book it. I think the block is now only on the search engine, but not the agent's ability to book.

Tho i hate calling BA, sometimes takes over an hour on hold just to get to someone.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:09 am

Guess there are no plans to change this?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Today is Sat - trying to book HKG - PVG for the following Sunday and availability all blocked online!

Then just called BA trying to book... not able to see anything!

This block is highly annoying... bloody fraudsters...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bbmatt
I just made a next day booking for TPE, the award was indeed blocked (didn't show up) on ba.com. However, it showed up on the Qantas site. I called BA and they were able to book it. I think the block is now only on the search engine, but not the agent's ability to book.

Tho i hate calling BA, sometimes takes over an hour on hold just to get to someone.
Had similar experience. Nothing for the next 5-6 days on ba.com from HKG to CGK. Showed available on Qantas and Asia Miles.

Called in (and after about a 10 min hold), got a nice agent-- told her the site didn't pull up anything, after some typing, was able to get me booked. Was read the terms and conditions, no phone fee. Maybe more strict on China/TPE redemptions vs other destinations in SEA.

I'm willing to do this workaround but definitely not as convenient as before.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transparent
Had similar experience. Nothing for the next 5-6 days on ba.com from HKG to CGK. Showed available on Qantas and Asia Miles.

Called in (and after about a 10 min hold), got a nice agent-- told her the site didn't pull up anything, after some typing, was able to get me booked. Was read the terms and conditions, no phone fee. Maybe more strict on China/TPE redemptions vs other destinations in SEA.

I'm willing to do this workaround but definitely not as convenient as before.
Really?

Interesting. I called in last week re 2 reservations i wanted to make to KIX and there was no availability 2 days (T-1 and T-2 days) before the flight. All other channels were ok(CX, QF, AA) so I redeemed on CXAM instead. good thing it was for W award so the damage was less.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
TBH I am really triggered by this issue...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I don't know if its due to status... but as a lowly Blue, I don't seem to be able to even see KA's 3am flight from PEK to HKG on 19th March in economy. On some days, that flight shows up. But I'm looking for the 19th March. There is availability on the CX website though.

So can anyone shed light on this who has elite BA status and can see availability? I have no problem seeing the other flights for the day.

Thanks !

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The only time BA elite status helps for redemptions is on BA flights in Y (i.e., Golds have access to V-class).
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
8 days out and no awards PEK-HK?

I thought the cut off was 5 days!

Last night was showing available. Today all zero'd out. But I guess I can still call to book?

What's with this crappy system? No problems with AA availabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.