Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BlueThroughCrimp
BA and CX have jointly blocked close in booking between HKG and Taiwan and parts of China with a minimum of 5 days before departure.

Unfortunately as a result of significant levels of fraudulent activity CX have removed access to redemption availability -5 days to departure until further notice. (BA Executive Club)
It is not sure that when this limit will be lifted and people are advised to phone up to book their flights if it is short to departure (even though it may not work)

UPDATES:
- 12/07/2016 The block has been lifted for flights to and from Taiwan.
- 28/10/2016 Looks like there is a 7 days block for flights between HKG and PEK, PVG, XIY (Xi'an), CKG (Chongqing). There may also be a 5 days block on TPE again...
- 28/10/2016 Flights to CTU and WUH still face the 7 days block afaik
- 30/11/2016 Even for TPE there is a 7 days block
- 13/12/2016 Basically everything is blocked, including TYO, LHR and so on.
- 28/02/2017 RIP redemptions to MAINLAND CHINA T-5
- 11/03/2017 Blocked all CX/KA online & phone redemptions to/from All Mainland China, TPE, Malaysia & Singapore flights 9 days from departure !
- 14/03/2017 Ok, folks. CX is blocking ON MOST award spaces for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 9 days prior to departure now.
- 15/03/2017 CX (or rather BA) is blocking CX/KA redemptions blocking ON MOST award spaces between HKG and USA, EU, Japan, Taiwan flights for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 22 days prior to departure! Each destination is inconsistent with availability. Some are not available less than 7 days, some as in the case of Japan is 22 days prior to departure.
- 11/08/2017 All CX/KA redemptions are blocked online when close to departure. While most can be booked by phone, Chinese routes may still be blocked when close to departure.

Print Wikipost

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I had a look the other day and I think I saw one or two dates all year for 2 F seats to HKG from Europe. I searched CDG, ZRH, FRA and LHR. JL availability wasn't great either.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what are married segments?
For example, BKK-HKG-TPE has availability but BKK-HKG or HKG-TPE don't have availability when searched as separate segments.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: UA
Is there a magic time prior to departure when they release to partners? Looking to travel HKG-TYO on 3rd Feb. Tons of saver seats using Asia Miles, but zilch on BA, even when calling their HK call center (which seems to route to India now??).
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:54 am

is this block still happening?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by yerffej201
is this block still happening?
CX availability -- both to Asia Miles and partners -- will never be the same again since 22 June 2018.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
CX availability -- both to Asia Miles and partners -- will never be the same again since 22 June 2018.
i agreed, it’s certainly true reward availability has been significantly reduced over the last year.

However the OP is asking about the block on seeing reward availability on ba.com for departures within a week which predates that reduction and is a completely separate issue.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by KARFA
i agreed, it’s certainly true reward availability has been significantly reduced over the last year.

However the OP is asking about the block on seeing reward availability on ba.com for departures within a week which predates that reduction and is a completely separate issue.
And I believe it’s still happening, but can be booked by calling BAEC.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sxc
And I believe it’s still happening, but can be booked by calling BAEC.
Yes the inside seven day online BA website block to online booking seems to have resumed, after briefly disappearing around April this year.

Calling BA will elicit any availability. But as in the other threadf on CX Avios availibility, and as alluded to in 199 above, CX ex HKG to Asian destinations other than Greater China, and Japan (haven't checked Vietnam) seems to be non existent in any cabin for Avios bookings. This despite inbound CX arrivals being down 46% in November and 9's across all fare classes even over Chinese New Year to holiday destinations.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I have updated the wili to reflect there is no hope in redeeming intra-asia CX awards anymore. Very disappointed at BA and CX!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by cysyuen
I have updated the wili to reflect there is no hope in redeeming intra-asia CX awards anymore. Very disappointed at BA and CX!
Which is not true.

Yes, there are challenges to get availability close in to departure, married segments issues etc, but to say there is no hope of redeeming Avios for CX awards at all is rather unrepresentative.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Which is not true.

Yes, there are challenges to get availability close in to departure, married segments issues etc, but to say there is no hope of redeeming Avios for CX awards at all is rather unrepresentative.
For shorthauls there is definitely no hope. Nothing between HKG-TYO at all but plenty if I do SIN-TYO on 23 Jan, for example.

Also, why on earth is CX not giving BA any seats for HKG-BKK, even in May 2020?

Last edited by cysyuen; Jan 6, 2020 at 8:13 am
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:48 am

For shorthauls there is definitely no hope.
No hope whatsoever? What about the availability for HKG-BKK/SIN in June 2020 (happy to post numerous screenshots if required, and of other routes)

But hey let's not let facts get in front of an attention grabbing headline
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Which is not true.

Then let's that avios availability for intra-Asia from/to HKG has become extremely limited. This has nothing to do with the 6-day visibility rule. Hope is very, very limited. CX do open availability at some random periods, but very few.

For shorthauls there is definitely no hope. Nothing between HKG-TYO at all but plenty if I do SIN-TYO on 23 Jan, for example.

Also, why on earth is CX not giving BA any seats for HKG-BKK, even in May 2020?
I believe that 1) relations between CX and BA are sour, especially after the deals with CZ, and 2) BA is paying a very little amount of money as intra-Asia awards are very cheap in terms of avios.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"Very difficult" would be more accurate than "no hope."

One issue is that CX has cut back on BKK flights, which is making it more difficult to book that route paid, let alone using Avios.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Then let's that avios availability for intra-Asia from/to HKG has become extremely limited. This has nothing to do with the 6-day visibility rule. Hope is very, very limited. CX do open availability at some random periods, but very few.
Absolutely agree - it is much more restricted/limited than previous times for sure, but not impossible.

Originally Posted by Kacee
"Very difficult" would be more accurate than "no hope."
Exactly - let's be factual rather than disingenuous ^
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:07 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by brunos

I believe that 1) relations between CX and BA are sour, especially after the deals with CZ, and 2) BA is paying a very little amount of money as intra-Asia awards are very cheap in terms of avios.
I don't think this is a BA Avios specific reduction in CX award availability. All CX availability to oneworld redemption partners has been reduced under the same algorithm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.