Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feeling p1ssed at KUL

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For me, the bad handling of the situation is worse than the actual downgrade (although that shouldn't have happened either). Broken seats can happen, but the lies of the station manager, the talking down about the passengers to the crew, the refusal to reroute, those are all inexcusable IMO.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:15 am

To be fair to the (obnoxious) station manager, we don't know that he wasn't following BA policy by downgrading the Avios passengers.

Obviously there were better ways to do it, but he may have been fully compliant with how the affected customers should have been identified.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:04 am
Suspended

I've found in the distant past the BA, CX, LH, LX, AF station managers at new smaller destinations tended to be rising stars who were given a new smaller station as an opportunity to prove their chops. From that point, I've had very good experiences - in that they worked in the office of the ceo for a year before being turned loose. However, times change and no idea how BA staffs KUL, but to me the approach made sense as the young manager came to the new opportunity with a solid understanding of the CEO's philosophy.

Early in my career I worked under one of these types, and he was a very good boss -- he already had his political capital in the bank, so he was very focused on how to make the business successful.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by 710 77345
To be fair to the (obnoxious) station manager, we don't know that he wasn't following BA policy by downgrading the Avios passengers.

Obviously there were better ways to do it, but he may have been fully compliant with how the affected customers should have been identified.
Even if he followed the policy (and why would 2 people need to be downgraded, if only one seat is broken?), that doesn't excuse the badmouthing of the OP to the onboard crew.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by 710 77345

This makes sense. It's a fairly common customer service / marketing gimmick to coo in the customer's ear about how bad the "local people" are and how someone will have "words" with them as a means of making the customer feel better.

But, that really is silly. Of course, the local station manager knows how it's done and of course BA could order the station manager to do it differently if it wanted to. BA doesn't, so what the station manager does is now BA policy (whether BA says so or not).

It's much more likely that BA accommodates local situations. Status in a FFP is not the be all and end all of who really matters. BA has to take care of all manner of other people and it's more than likely that the station manager did just that here.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
This makes sense. It's a fairly common customer service / marketing gimmick to coo in the customer's ear about how bad the "local people" are and how someone will have "words" with them as a means of making the customer feel better.

But, that really is silly. Of course, the local station manager knows how it's done and of course BA could order the station manager to do it differently if it wanted to. BA doesn't, so what the station manager does is now BA policy (whether BA says so or not).

It's much more likely that BA accommodates local situations. Status in a FFP is not the be all and end all of who really matters. BA has to take care of all manner of other people and it's more than likely that the station manager did just that here.
There are lots of logical explanations, including this, if BA does in fact grant that authority locally - which not all multinationals do.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Well, well, well. Commiserations to OP and wife, not a good thing to happen.

I'm slightly curious on the point around OLCI, was the OP unable to do this? or did you try and it was unavailable (and even did you try close to t-24?). Not a judgement, a datapoint really.

The other thing, from the thread in general, is no-one seems to know what the Policy here is! How should BA outstations prioritise F downgrades (or rather offer options)? C'mon this is FT ... don't be shy

For one, interested to follow the Service Recovery offer.

... and finally. Almost the saddest thing, is this thread (not just the OP's report but others adding to the data) merely affirms the erosion of trust with BA recently.
If a GGL can't book an F ticket without a little niggle gnawing until actually sat in the booked and paid seat then we really are rudderless.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:24 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
An update on BA's response. And to answer the question above I did try and check in using the BA App but got an error message. I was slightly concerned about this but it does happen occasionally.

I had a missed call yesterday afternoon which turned out to be some from BA Customer Services. I called back and waited 30 minutes for my call to be answered whilst listening to all of the wonderful things I could be doing at ba.com.

Eventually got passed to the lady that had phoned me. Apparently the GGL lady had raised a case on my behalf as had the CSD on our flight. I also sent an email relating what had happened so they had a pretty good idea of what had occurred.

So, lots of apologies and also a clarification that we shouldn't have been bumped as GGL. Again the reason was trotted out that it's a new station so may not be fully up to speed. I don't buy that myself. I mentioned that this is not a one off and she said that if anyone else has had a similar experience at KUL will they please raise a case as this will put the pressure on the station manager there.

Apparently there is going to be an investigation into the staff actions that we noted.

End result was we were entitled to compensation - £500 cash or £700 BA voucher each. Plus 31,500 Avios were returned to our account. There won't be any fare difference as it was an Avios booking.

Maybe I am expecting too much but it would have been nice if BA had offered something as an apology rather than just giving me what I was entitled to. I'm happy with the speed with which BA responded but still feeling rather ambivalent to the outcome.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
End result was we were entitled to compensation - £500 cash or £700 BA voucher each. Plus 31,500 Avios were returned to our account. There won't be any fare difference as it was an Avios booking.

Maybe I am expecting too much but it would have been nice if BA had offered something as an apology rather than just giving me what I was entitled to.
Ha, you believed them when they told you that? She was taking you for a ride, and giving you a load of BS to save BA paying you the Avios due.

How much did you pay for tickets, and did you use any vouchers?

If it was framed as compensation, you way wish to take it and then follow-up for the refund you are due.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP

Maybe I am expecting too much but it would have been nice if BA had offered something as an apology rather than just giving me what I was entitled to. I'm happy with the speed with which BA responded but still feeling rather ambivalent to the outcome.
You are entitled to a 75% refund of whatever you paid. If that was X avios and Y cash then you should claim 0.75*(X+Y).

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html
Old May 31, 2016, 4:34 am

So, lots of apologies and also a clarification that we shouldn't have been bumped as GGL. ........

......End result was we were entitled to compensation - £500 cash or £700 BA voucher each. Plus 31,500 Avios were returned to our account. There won't be any fare difference as it was an Avios booking.

Looks to me that you got apologies AND what you were entitled to. What else can they realistically do?
Old May 31, 2016, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by simon1234567
Looks to me that you got apologies AND what you were entitled to. What else can they realistically do?
Pay what is fully due under EC261 as noted by nux.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by simon1234567
Ah, but they didn't get what they were entitled to, which was 75% of the Avios they paid.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
Ah, but they didn't get what they were entitled to, which was 75% of the Avios they paid.
Ah, didn't realise that. Then they need to go back and demand what is rightfully theirs.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: Meh
Yet another example of BA missing the point. They could have given the OP something over and above to make a positive out of a negative. No surprise at all really, and if it was a non-GGL I fear the treatment would have been even worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.