Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feeling p1ssed at KUL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:27 am

What kind of airline overbooks first class?
I've never heard of an airline that overbooks first class, until today when I found out BA apparently does.
Getting downgraded as a GGL sucks big time, but IMHO the bigger issue is BA overbooking the first class cabin that resulted in involuntary downgrades in the first place.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by agjil
What kind of airline overbooks first class?
I've never heard of an airline that overbooks first class, until today when I found out BA apparently does.
Getting downgraded as a GGL sucks big time, but IMHO the bigger issue is BA overbooking the first class cabin that resulted in involuntary downgrades in the first place.
Fly F a bit more and you will see it does happen.

Another fact - many F people - who only fly F, don't even bother with Exec Club and collecting Avios or worry about TPs. Consequently GGL can be somewhat irrelevant in the prioritisation of passengers.

If Id paid full fare F, let alone if i was regular in F or not, id be a bit miffed to be downgraded instead of a couple on a Frequent Flier Jolly
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by ukgooner
...many F people - who only fly F, don't even bother with Exec Club.
Do airlines still have a way of tracking them as an individual, and in BA's case assigning a CIV? Passport number would help (until renewal) for example.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Do airlines still have a way of tracking them as an individual, and in BA's case assigning a CIV? Passport number would help (until renewal) for example.
Name + DOB
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:50 am

Fly F a bit more and you will see it does happen.

Another fact - many F people - who only fly F, don't even bother with Exec Club and collecting Avios or worry about TPs. Consequently GGL can be somewhat irrelevant in the prioritisation of passengers.

If Id paid full fare F, let alone if i was regular in F or not, id be a bit miffed to be downgraded instead of a couple on a Frequent Flier Jolly
Yeah I will be very angry too if I get downgraded on a paid F ticket.

So now I'm actually quite curious...which specific airlines overbook F other than BA?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by agjil
Yeah I will be very angry too if I get downgraded on a paid F ticket.

So now I'm actually quite curious...which specific airlines overbook F other than BA?
Well I cant say if its routine or not, but I know of it first hand on QF, CX and AA
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by 8420PR
For comparison, Lufthansa gives €4000 per person voucher at the gate if you are downgraded from F to J (regardless of how you paid for the ticket). I think if BA had the same approach it would have made the downgraded flight much more comfortable.
Who told you that?!!!
I can't comment on F-J downgrade specifics, but I can confirm that Lufthansa gave me a €1500 voucher at the gate when they involuntarily downgraded me from J-Y. I was originally on a Y ticket and used miles for the upgrade. I got refunded the miles too.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
Having just read through this thread I feel huge sympathy for the OP. It's almost worth unleashing BBC Watchdog. I'm off to KUL soon so it's good to be aware of this type of thing.

I'm a complete novice in legal matters, but I do have one question though. Could BAGoldBoy have made a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if the flight taxes were paid directly to BA on his credit card? Goods and/or services misrepresented?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by onemoretrip
Having just read through this thread I feel huge sympathy for the OP. It's almost worth unleashing BBC Watchdog. I'm off to KUL soon so it's good to be aware of this type of thing.

I'm a complete novice in legal matters, but I do have one question though. Could BAGoldBoy have made a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if the flight taxes were paid directly to BA on his credit card? Goods and/or services misrepresented?
What was misrepresented?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
They do now, although I'm a bit surprised it doesn't breach data protection laws ...

Famously BA found their most profitable North American-based flyer was not a member of BAEC (he may have been a member of AA though).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What was misrepresented?
Booked first class and received business class???
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
No misrepresentation though. First was presumably exactly what BA said it was, nor did the OP act in reliance on any misrepresentation (which is needed to make it actionable). He just didn't get what he paid for.

It is a breach of contract, and the remedy for breach of contract is damages to put the victim of the breach in the position he would have been in, had the contract been performed. (Of course that would require a time machine, so the damages have to be 'equivalent' in value - they could, if not validly capped, exceed the value of the flight).

EU261 is a statutory compensation regime that exists separately from the damages regime for breach of contract and the Montreal Convention, which governs contracts of carriage.

You could argue that it's a s.75 Consumer Credit Act claim, in that it may be a breach of an implied term of the contract that the airline will pay EU261 compensation. However, there are issues here, too. While the ticketing airline and the operating airline are the same here, EU261 is not damages for breach, nor is it necessarily paid by the party with whom the purchaser has a contract (e.g.., if the incident had occurred on MH out of LHR, MH would have been liable even though the OP would have given his money to BA).

It is arguable that an EU261 claim might be brought against a credit card company in lieu of MCOL, but my instinct tells me that it would not be successful (and once you've reached the stage where you're considering issuing proceedings against your credit card company, it's far simpler to go after the airline).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Having just read through this thread I feel huge sympathy for the OP. It's almost worth unleashing BBC Watchdog.
I also sympathise with OP, although I would probably sympathise even more with a full fare F passenger downgraded in the same circumstances.

As to Watchdog caring, no chance I would have thought. Only in the rarefied atmosphere of Flyertalk would OP's plight attract much sympathy. To almost everyone else it looks like someone who used miles to score a free ticket for an ultra-luxury class of travel that 99% of them will never see flying in a luxury class that 95% of them will never see and receiving compo into the bargain. It's not like OP lost his life savings responding to an email telling him that he had won a lottery and just had to provide a few personal details to get the cash...
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:07 pm

You're probably right ... I forgot about Owen Thomas and the vitriol directed at him
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Booked first class and received business class???
A downgrade as described in this matter is not misrepresentation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.