Wiki Posts
Search

Feeling p1ssed at KUL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
http://www.iftta.org/news/cjeu-clari...ing-air-travel

"In a recently published judgement, the European Court of Justice has clarfied the rules applying to downgrading of air passagners according to Reg. (EC) No 261/2004. The court held that where a passenger is downgraded on a flight, the price to be taken into account in determining the reimbursement for the passenger affected is the price of the flight on which he was downgraded unless that price is not indicated on the ticket entitling him to transport on that flight, in which case it must be based on the part of the price of the ticket corresponding to the quotient resulting from the distance of that flight and the total distance which the passenger is entitled to travel.

The reimbursement solely relates to the price of the flight itself, thus excluding taxes and charges indicated on the ticket, as long as neither the requirement to pay those taxes and charges nor their amount depends on the class for which that ticket has been purchased."
That should provide plenty of ambiguity to keep the discussion going re mixed cabin out / back itineraries, and whether total distance is end-end or sum of connecting segments.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
So, if I understand that correctly - no refund on taxes if downgraded from F to J for example, as they're the same for both classes. But if downgraded from J to Y, where taxes are lower, then that would be grounds for a refund of the difference?

If so, then it seems logical enough.
It seems to say that taxes and fees aren't considered part of the ticket price for the purpose of compensation after a downgrade, which is reasonable enough if fuel surcharges and other carrier imposed fees aren't included in the definition of taxes and fees (or "charges" in one of the posts above).
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
That should provide plenty of ambiguity to keep the discussion going re mixed cabin out / back itineraries, and whether total distance is end-end or sum of connecting segments.
The material you quote seems to refer too fare components, so that one would look at the fare construction on the receipt, and for the mileage ratios use only the segments that are part of the same fare component as the downgraded segment in the calculation.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
As this is the case, the EU Commission have recently issued a document which helps to clear up any uncertainty. On page 19, paragraph D, of the below link it states the refund is due on the flight the passenger has been downgraded on:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...16)3502_en.pdf
The EU commission has no legislative power. This document can be ignored.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by warakorn
The EU commission has no legislative power. This document can be ignored.
Well not totally ignored, but it is a guidance not legislation.

The new case, for which I will need to alter the main EC261 case, is to be found here, and I quote the two names it is known by to assist searching. Steef Mennens v Emirates Direktion für Deutschland, Meenens versus Emirates.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...CJ0255&from=EN

It is disappointing from a passenger perspective, it's more or less the tightest ruling possible. The thing to watch - on longhaul - is the difference in carrier surcharges between cabins, and also APD. It will apply to this case.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Oops - beaten to it!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Do BA fuel surcharges typically vary between F and J?

I suppose interesting side effect of the judgement is the trade-off between taking a downgrade and saying you'll wait for the next available flight with your class of booking available. Maybe, just to be a PITA, I'll tell airline X I'll pass on the shorthaul downgrade that I'll only get compensated £30 for, and they can delay me and pay me delay compensation instead (if I'm right in assuming that I'd still be entitled to this as the offer was not comparable to what was booked - I await a possible educational reply...)
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
No, they are usually the same. W to J typically involves an increase in carrier surcharge, but J to F doesn't.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Hmm. So the latest judgement seems to be all about "reimbursement" until Para 26 where suddenly its saying Art10 is about "compensation".
Article 10 of the Regulation says its aiming to re-imburse.

Hopefully someone will be along and de-mistify

This takes me back to the days where my work involved 'clarifications'; a word which took on a similar reverse meaning to 'enhancement' on this board.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Thanks for that but if my claim was started before 22nd June should I be compensated by the rules in place at the time of my claim? The only reason I haven't had the taxes refunded is because BA have taken over a month to deal with my complaint - probably because they were waiting for this ruling.
Indeed, they took longer than they were allowed to to process your claim under the regs, and are now applying guidance that was not available on the latest possible payment date.

Did they ever previously agree to refund taxes and fees to you?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Indeed, they took longer than they were allowed to to process your claim under the regs, and are now applying guidance that was not available on the latest possible payment date.

Did they ever previously agree to refund taxes and fees to you?
The rules haven't changed, they've just been clarified and as such technically the guidance applies retrospectively as clarification of the original intent of the regulation.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Just skimmed through this thread.

So this new EU "guidance", by using the word "charges" as well as taxes, effectively means airlines don't have to refund any of the cash component on an Avios booking?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
I don't think it does. I cannot remember paying any extra when upgrading from CW to F with Avios or GUF.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The rules haven't changed, they've just been clarified and as such technically the guidance applies retrospectively as clarification of the original intent of the regulation.
I didn't say they had changed, but if BA had fulfilled their obligations in the time they were allowed to do so then the fees would have been refunded. BA broke the rules, and are now trying to benefit from this.

The large and arbitrary nature of surcharges on BA would mean I would still include these in a court claim, though obviously with a less than 100% (but more than 0%!) chance of this being allowed by a judge.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Just skimmed through this thread.

So this new EU "guidance", by using the word "charges" as well as taxes, effectively means airlines don't have to refund any of the cash component on an Avios booking?
On the main Eu261 thread I asked c-w-s if this meant the carrier imposed surcharges were included or excluded from the taxes and airport fees part of the fare and he's going to have a think about it.

If the 'charges' were excluded from the reimbursement calculation there would be nothigng to stop an airline increasing them but reducing the base fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.