Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave_C
I stand to be corrected, but I think the fare rules also need to allow 'End on End' ticketing as well.
I would have thought that it is only required if you want to combine two different fares on the same ticket rather than separate tickets altogether, no?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Any recent experiences or updates on this?

I'm flying DEL-LHR on BA with a BA ticket number and BA PNR. Then connecting to LHR-PHL on AA with an AA ticket number and AA PNR. Everything was booked together by my TA under a single PNR of their own, but I don't think that matters in this case. I'm a US citizen traveling on a US passport.

The connection time is scheduled at 2 hours 10 minutes. If BA's policy of not through checking bags on separate tickets is still in effect, and if I'm remembering the process correctly it would look something like:
  • Arrive T5 on BA
  • Proceed to T5A Customs and Immigration
  • Cross UK border at immigration
  • Collect the checked bag
  • Head to the tube/HEX station and transit to T3
  • Check in and check bag at AA counter in T3
  • Clear security and passport check
  • Head to gate

Am I missing anything?
Is 2:10 doable assuming DEL-LHR is on time?
Is HEX/tube T5 to T3 still free with contactless CC?
Is check in at T3 for the AA flight the 35 minute Conformance cutoff event? Does that applt to AA flights out of T3?

TIA

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Feb 28, 2023 at 12:15 pm
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes the policy is very much still current.

you seem to have it outlined correctly, although I would also ask when does aa bag drop close as that’s your deadline. Does it say in your booking? I think it may be 60 minutes. T3 doesn’t have conformance as such.

you can use HEX or crossrail. Either tap in and out using a contactless card or get a free blue transfer ticket from the self service machines.

and finally this will be ok if everything goes well, but there is little wiggle room. What happens if you are 20 minutes late and it takes another 40 minutes for your bags to appear?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes the policy is very much still current.

you seem to have it outlined correctly, although I would also ask when does aa bag drop close as that’s your deadline. Does it say in your booking? I think it may be 60 minutes. T3 doesn’t have conformance as such.

you can use HEX or crossrail. Either tap in and out using a contactless card or get a free blue transfer ticket from the self service machines.

and finally this will be ok if everything goes well, but there is little wiggle room. What happens if you are 20 minutes late and it takes another 40 minutes for your bags to appear?
60 minutes is the cutoff for checking bags on AA at LHR, so it will be a close run thing.

I will try to plead my case for a through check at DEL, but I'm doubtful that will change their minds.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:38 pm

Yes I would say the chances of them doing it are close to zero.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given thatt the 2 bookings are contained in the same record, , isn't that is a case where through checking is permitted?
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:26 pm

Good point. But it sounds like this is a TA PNR? I.e one the airlines wouldn’t recognise?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given thatt the 2 bookings are contained in the same record, , isn't that is a case where through checking is permitted?
That would certainly be true if AA were the first carrier; not sure if it matters when BA is the first carrier. I'll defer on that question to the experts in this thread.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:43 pm

Good point. But it sounds like this is a TA PNR? I.e one the airlines wouldn’t recognise?
I had a recent 'single TA' PNR that contained BA onto ET and ET to BA on the return. Each carrier accessed the booking using their own PNR. No issues doing through check-in both directions. Maybe a useful data point.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm flying DEL-LHR on BA with a BA ticket number and BA PNR. Then connecting to LHR-PHL on AA with an AA ticket number and AA PNR. Everything was booked together by my TA under a single PNR of their own, but I don't think that matters in this case.
I think if a Travel Agent books it and it's all in one PNR that it's completely fine.

Even when you do a booking on the BA website that has BA flights and AA flights in it, there is a separate PNR for each.

I think you'll be fine here and will be able to through check the bags without any issues whatsoever.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
That would certainly be true if AA were the first carrier; not sure if it matters when BA is the first carrier. I'll defer on that question to the experts in this thread.
FWIW I took AA flights to DEL on the outbound trip a few days ago. The AA PNR is the same for both outbound and return trips. The TA's PNR is also the same for both outbound and return trips.

Originally Posted by flashware
I had a recent 'single TA' PNR that contained BA onto ET and ET to BA on the return. Each carrier accessed the booking using their own PNR. No issues doing through check-in both directions. Maybe a useful data point.
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I think if a Travel Agent books it and it's all in one PNR that it's completely fine.

Even when you do a booking on the BA website that has BA flights and AA flights in it, there is a separate PNR for each.

I think you'll be fine here and will be able to through check the bags without any issues whatsoever.
Interesting. I just tried inputting the TA PNR on AA's site and it gave me an error message (my AA PNR works fine BTW). Then I tried entering the TA PNR under MMB on the BA site and it pulled up the entire reservation, including both the DEL-LHR leg on BA and the LHR-PHL leg on AA. Then I tried the BA PNR under MMB and it also pulled up both legs. So it appears that BA's systems view the trip as being all under a single PNR, even if the two legs have different ticket numbers. Whether that will help or not is the big question.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Interesting. I just tried inputting the TA PNR on AA's site and it gave me an error message (my AA PNR works fine BTW). Then I tried entering the TA PNR under MMB on the BA site and it pulled up the entire reservation, including both the DEL-LHR leg on BA and the LHR-PHL leg on AA. Then I tried the BA PNR under MMB and it also pulled up both legs. So it appears that BA's systems view the trip as being all under a single PNR, even if the two legs have different ticket numbers. Whether that will help or not is the big question.
AA and BA PNRs are bound to be different even when booked on the same ticket.

Are both ticket numbers sequential? If you have multiple segments (including open jaws), it's normal to have multiple ticket numbers issued in conjunction.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
As I said, it will count as a single booking and BA will through check the bags.

You've nothing to worry about here.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Are both ticket numbers sequential? If you have multiple segments (including open jaws), it's normal to have multiple ticket numbers issued in conjunction.
The AA ticket number (001...) and BA ticket number (125...) are not at all sequential in any way.

As I said, it will count as a single booking and BA will through check the bags.

You've nothing to worry about here.
Good to hear. I'll report back after the trip.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:20 pm

A few new twists in the tale

I'm now within 24 hours of departure and MMB no longer shows the AA LHR-PHL flight, only the DEL-LHR leg. This is the case when I enter either the BA PNR or the TA PNR. The AA site still shows both the DEL-LHR and LHR-PHL legs under the AA PNR, but notes the separate TA PNR for the BA flight.

Sometime within the last 6 hours I cleared a mileage upgrade to Biz on the AA flight. I don't know if this has anything to do with the disappearance of the AA flight from the MMB listing.

It also appears that there will be an aircraft change on DEL-LHR from a 787-8 to a 787-9. My bulkhead aisle seat assignment no longer appears in MMB, and it won't let me check in for the flight. Here's to hoping that I get op-upped.

Given that the BA PNR now only shows the DEL-LHR leg will I lose the ability to through check my bag to the AA flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.