Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by flashware
They do already - it's called a single PNR ticket
You can't put a reward flight on the same PNR as a paid flight. There are times I'd happily pay an extra charge and it would be no skin off the backs of passengers on one PNR.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by JayeJ

You can't put a reward flight on the same PNR as a paid flight. There are times I'd happily pay an extra charge and it would be no skin off the backs of passengers on one PNR.
Indeed, but there's always the option to pay for the flight rather than book using Avios.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A few years away of course, but hopefully a solution will be found when IATA's One Order comes in and BA and other carriers will implement sensible policies around it covering issues just like this. Although based on experiences with NDC things do not look promising...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Indeed, but there's always the option to pay for the flight rather than book using Avios.
Of course there is but that's not a particularly sensible argument in many cases. I don't think I'll be paying cash for my one-way CW reward flight next week which prices up at a little over £6k.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:40 pm

Oh. Okay. I'll just throw those 241s in the bin. Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
The wife and I were flying from KEF to LHR on Friday and had a second booking to BFS for a U2 concert.

we didn’t ask but fly obviously found our booking and offered to through check for is, it wasn’t expected so a happy result
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
They do already - it's called a single PNR ticket
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to need multiple tickets. The most obvious would be different people paying like say a contractor billing to different clients or someone going further than what a work trip pays for (I often use this method to get more bang for my personal vacations)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's lovely when it works out but one cannot count on it. I've had them tell me "No." when checking into CW and then go ahead and do it when I AUP up to first for the same flight. If you can't consistently anticipate it, it doesn't help you out when trying to plan for a connection. I wish they'd change this policy.
You can plan - plan based on not having bags checked through as per policy

For consistemcy, it needs agents to consistency follow policy and not check bags through when they shouldn't be
argonath likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

For consistemcy, it needs agents to consistency follow policy and not check bags through when they shouldn't be
That's what we've been doing. It usually involves an extra overnight at an LHR hotel. We'd prefer to not go through the hassle of having to go through immigration and re-check in but we certainly don't want to get stuck trying to beat a time deadline or miss a connection... which is why I'd pay extra for the peace of mind if they started doing that.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's what we've been doing. It usually involves an extra overnight at an LHR hotel. We'd prefer to not go through the hassle of having to go through immigration and re-check in but we certainly don't want to get stuck trying to beat a time deadline or miss a connection... which is why I'd pay extra for the peace of mind if they started doing that.
I cannot see why the airline would start doing that though - it has a simple policy at the moment, which is in line with what the passengers can reasonably expect based on purchasing separate tickets
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Look, nobody is doubting if BA has the right to the policy. The point being that a business probably shouldn't be intentionally making life more difficult for its customers. Particularly since customers who use this feature tend to be much more frequent flyers. And the reasons basically being that it is an extra risk/cost to BA makes me think that charging it as an extra service would be perfectly reasonable.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I could understand the reason for not checking to OTHER OW airlines, but not interlining from BA to BA seems absolute idiotic to me.
Than again, just flew BA First and was underwhelmed by service and cleanness and layout of the cabin and on transfer in LHR switched to BA A321 short-haul CE cabin, the toilet was disgustingly dirty. Not so much from... but coffee stains all over on the toilet (supposedly from emptying the coffee-can by FAs and water puddles still on the floor in the cracks all around in that little "bathroom" and that from a plane that just departed their home hub....
It just shows the respect towards their own customers and overall service standards.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends on the routing, not every itinerary can go be plated on one ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Have a trip planned where our flight home is BA54 (JNB-LHR) departs 22.05. Final leg of a trip in first booked in the BA sale.

Had planned a trip around South Africa that sees us end up in Livingstone in the final days. As far as I can see there are only 2 flights from LVI to JNB, one SA and one BA, both depart around 1.30pm - leaving 9 hours to connect. All good if things go to plan, but the risk is if those flights are cancelled.

The other option is to take a flight the day before, giving more options if things go wrong, but a day in JNB is not attractive. Assume from this thread that BA wouldn't help.

Collective wisdom, would you risk it?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Have a trip planned where our flight home is BA54 (JNB-LHR) departs 22.05. Final leg of a trip in first booked in the BA sale.

Had planned a trip around South Africa that sees us end up in Livingstone in the final days. As far as I can see there are only 2 flights from LVI to JNB, one SA and one BA, both depart around 1.30pm - leaving 9 hours to connect. All good if things go to plan, but the risk is if those flights are cancelled.

The other option is to take a flight the day before, giving more options if things go wrong, but a day in JNB is not attractive. Assume from this thread that BA wouldn't help.

Collective wisdom, would you risk it?
I would be fine with that.
bluemoon68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.