Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by firstlight
Questions for the experts please, I think the answer is yes to both but just checking as we plan 2024...

1) I have a premium plus companion voucher, mrs firstlight has a joker, we can combine the two as long as we fly together? I assume I have to pay for the trip.

2) i have 2 barclays vouchers and a joker, can we use the joker to create reward space for the two of us to use the barclays vouchers (essentially they become equivalent to a guf 2?)

We are both ggl and have a household account.
I think this came up previously and we were waiting for someone to report back- please let us know how you get on as I finally gave in and got the Barclaycard Premium Avios (whatever it's called)...!
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by crazy8534

Just out of interest, had your daughter completed the required number of flights on BA/codeshares?
Has she been online to her account and seen that she is definitely now Blue?
Any flights she has done have been on (my) avios so she hasn't met any requirements.

Not sure if she has looked online but has definitely had an email saying "welcome to Blue" which seemed to be rubbing it in a bit.

I think we will try to look at it as being a bonus when there is a soft landing and, in future, I will not assume it will happen when planning how to make best use of the cards. She will just have to cope until September when I can rectify the situation
Old Jun 25, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
Not sure if she has looked online but has definitely had an email saying "welcome to Blue" which seemed to be rubbing it in a bit.
I would log on and check because I have definitely heard examples of those "Welcome to Blue" emails being spurious in the recent past.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Let me double check on this.

I can apply a GUF to a BAH booking (assuming I can find availability in the correct class)?

Looking at booking something involving BA / AA (and maybe Alaska depending on connections) in PE and using a GUF that is due to expire in the not too distant future.
(Can I actually apply one against say a flight on AA metal with a BA code?)

Think I've got a 53ish e-voucher as well although may use that for something else.

I'll throw a little question in that's off topic:
If I book a car for a few days a part of a BA holiday, are any electric? Since I'm looking at SFO or PDX to drive around and take in some scenery, something "greener" might be good. Does seem to say on the booking pages.

Last edited by xenole; Jun 25, 2023 at 11:29 am
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I would log on and check because I have definitely heard examples of those "Welcome to Blue" emails being spurious in the recent past.
Sadly, the website also thinks she is Blue. Ah well.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by firstlight
1) I have a premium plus companion voucher, mrs firstlight has a joker, we can combine the two as long as we fly together? I assume I have to pay for the trip.
Yes, we did exactly this, albeit the other way round - my joker and her 241. I am a 3rd party nominee on her account but it also helps if the other party is in the room and can chip in.

This is one of those times when they insist on the fees being paid by a card in the name of the 241 owner - although we paid with a card in her name on it, it was actually the supplementary card on my account.

Cant help on the Barclaycard question.
firstlight likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Yes, we did exactly this, albeit the other way round - my joker and her 241. I am a 3rd party nominee on her account but it also helps if the other party is in the room and can chip in.

This is one of those times when they insist on the fees being paid by a card in the name of the 241 owner - although we paid with a card in her name on it, it was actually the supplementary card on my account.
Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I have a question about a joker flight (+2for1 Amex voucher) I have booked for my husband and me. I booked it on the last day of the old GGL year. We are not able to use it now so I was intending to change it to another flight and another date. But would it be possible for me to change the identity of the companion as well as altering the dates and routing? Or must the passengers be the same?

I do not have any experience of doing this so I thought I would collect any experience there is before calling.

[btw, we are not getting divorced - he's just busy ]
Old Jul 9, 2023, 10:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can’t change people on a booking. The only way you can effectively do that is cancel the whole booking and start again from scratch.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by KARFA
You cant change people on a booking. The only way you can effectively do that is cancel the whole booking and start again from scratch.
Thanks. I thought that would be the case and I can't cancel and start from scratch, as I understand it, as it was a joker from last year. That is right isn't it?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes so if your joker is beyond expiry now I think you would lose it if you cancel, even if you wanted to make a new booking straight away.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Quick question - when using a Joker, can you flex the Avios / Cash split in the same way as a normal Avios booking? Eg on a regular SH redemption in CE, I get 6 options from 30k Avios + 1 to 10.5k Avios + 125. Is it possible to choose your split on a joker redemption for the same flight or do you only get one option? Despite using many jokers, I’ve never considered this before.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Quick question - when using a Joker, can you flex the Avios / Cash split in the same way as a normal Avios booking? Eg on a regular SH redemption in CE, I get 6 options from 30k Avios + 1 to 10.5k Avios + 125. Is it possible to choose your split on a joker redemption for the same flight or do you only get one option? Despite using many jokers, Ive never considered this before.

Appreciate any feedback.
No problem. I did just this a few months ago.
KARFA, firstlight and Oaxaca like this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Can someone talk me through the process to make a dummy booking using my GGL redemptions to keep them alive for a bit longer? I think I read somewhere on here that this is possible, but am not sure about the process or any restrictions.

Do I need to use them for a route that I actually plan to use, or can both the route (and zone) be changed freely at a later date? Or have I completely mis-remembered this and is such a workaround is not actually possible?

I will lose my GGL status in the next month or so (China-based, so only started travelling earlier this year ...), so it will be useful to have these for use early next year, but don't have fixed plans yet.

Apologies also if this information is in this thread somewhere .. The "based on China" part also means that browsing this site is a bit challenging these days (especially given the VPN connection restrictions).

Bonus question: Given that I will drop to either Gold or Silver, it is even worth trying this? As in, will one of the regular BAEC staff even be able to process a change to a GGL redemption booking?
firstlight and zen100 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Can someone talk me through the process to make a dummy booking using my GGL redemptions to keep them alive for a bit longer? I think I read somewhere on here that this is possible, but am not sure about the process or any restrictions.

Do I need to use them for a route that I actually plan to use, or can both the route (and zone) be changed freely at a later date? Or have I completely mis-remembered this and is such a workaround is not actually possible?

I will lose my GGL status in the next month or so (China-based, so only started travelling earlier this year ...), so it will be useful to have these for use early next year, but don't have fixed plans yet.

Apologies also if this information is in this thread somewhere .. The "based on China" part also means that browsing this site is a bit challenging these days (especially given the VPN connection restrictions).

Bonus question: Given that I will drop to either Gold or Silver, it is even worth trying this? As in, will one of the regular BAEC staff even be able to process a change to a GGL redemption booking?
And just to add to this question if the answer to GinFizz is no; as a ggl and nominee on mrs firstlights account can I successfully make a change (same pax , different destination/dates) on a booking with her joker and my companion voucher even if she is no longer ggl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.