Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think BA views the CCR card like other TP triggered trinkets such as GUFs, so it isn't a status level to be extended rather a benefit to be earned at a specific threshold.
Most of the time its earn or loose it. renewals right now are getting extended, but after that the 5,000 TP will apply.
With a much reduced F seat count, and less card holders I'll be surprised if they don't shrink the Concorde Room.

Exceptions apply:
1. GGL for life retain Concorde Card (but there's less than 300 GGL4L)
2. There's also a small cohort (ever dwindling) of the regular pre-October 2003 real Concorde flyers for whom the card was originally minted. You typically needed to have averaged over 25 rocket trips in the previous 2-3 years before retirement to get this. However, some of these are also part of the GGL4L group.

In effect many in the above are old style heavy hitting real 'influencers', so BA gets a lot of goodwill and influence from this set-up.
Given the demographic (if you can afford what you want anyway, at any time, then there is no impetus to be a glutton or a drunk) they are more likely to have a cup of tea in a quiet chair.
So BA probably does very well from this set up.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by DFB_london; May 13, 2021 at 9:32 am
Old May 13, 2021, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Correct. At least for as long as they remain an annual benefit of GGL.
indeed.
But for example, in the case of our household, we have 4 silvers and 2 golds a year to use.
While we normally find friends who might have had a quiet year (e.g. changing job, etc) and the Gold gets them flying on BA again, the silvers usually lapse.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFB_london
Most of the time its earn or loose it. renewals right now are getting extended, but after that the 5,000 TP will apply.
With a much reduced F seat count, and less card holders I'll be surprised if they don't shrink the Concorde Room.

Exceptions apply:
1. GGL for life retain Concorde Card (but there's less than 300 GGL4L)
2. There's also a small cohort (ever dwindling) of the regular pre-October 2003 real Concorde flyers for whom the card was originally minted. You typically needed to have averaged over 25 rocket trips in the previous 2-3 years before retirement to get this. However, some of these are also part of the GGL4L group.

In effect many in the above are old style heavy hitting real 'influencers', so BA gets a lot of goodwill and influence from this set-up.
Given the demographic (if you can afford what you want anyway, at any time, then there is no impetus to be a glutton or a drunk) they are more likely to have a cup of tea in a quiet chair.
So BA probably does very well from this set up.
I agree CCR entitlement will drop. But I don't see what benefit there would be from shrinking the lounge? The set up prevents the space from being used to add to the GF and GC lounge. The CCR in 2019 at times approached overcrowding, etc. I would think they will reduce staffing if need be (though service was an issue) or if it is truly being underutilized even at peak times, use CCR cards as an incentive for corporate accounts. I'm sure that already occurs to some extent but its an easy to extend perk that can be rolled back if capacity gets exceeded.

Given that AF, LH, and LX all have very exclusive F lounges and the CCR actually pales in comparison, I don't think it will be eliminated.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
I agree CCR entitlement will drop. But I don't see what benefit there would be from shrinking the lounge? The set up prevents the space from being used to add to the GF and GC lounge. The CCR in 2019 at times approached overcrowding, etc. I would think they will reduce staffing if need be (though service was an issue) or if it is truly being underutilized even at peak times, use CCR cards as an incentive for corporate accounts. I'm sure that already occurs to some extent but its an easy to extend perk that can be rolled back if capacity gets exceeded.

Given that AF, LH, and LX all have very exclusive F lounges and the CCR actually pales in comparison, I don't think it will be eliminated.
hard to see BA giving CCR cards to the likes of Morgan Stanley bankers, corporate flotsam and the like.

Don’t think the average BA CCR card holder really wont want to meet the same banker-bit who was pitching to them in the same lounge.

For Corporates that matter, BA already has the black card that normally provides Concorde Room access.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:13 am
Suspended

hard to see BA giving CCR cards to the likes of Morgan Stanley bankers, corporate flotsam and the like.

Don’t think the average BA CCR card holder really wont want to meet the same banker-bit who was pitching to them in the same lounge.

For Corporates that matter, BA already has the black card that normally provides Concorde Room access.
I think the average CCR holder probably qualifies as the MS banker, corporate flotsam, and the like

Maybe the black card is already what I am thinking. The point being, the CCR room is a perk they can use to their advantage a bit more if overall numbers drop to the point there is always spare capacity in the lounge even at peak times.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I think the average CCR holder probably qualifies as the MS banker, corporate flotsam, and the like

Maybe the black card is already what I am thinking. The point being, the CCR room is a perk they can use to their advantage a bit more if overall numbers drop to the point there is always spare capacity in the lounge even at peak times.
How is it a perk when you and the bloggers are saying the CCR room ain't competitive with other first class lounges anymore?
Old May 14, 2021, 12:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsquare
How is it a perk when you and the bloggers are saying the CCR room ain't competitive with other first class lounges anymore?
Because the folks flying from LHR to XXX don’t really have the option of the FRA FCT!
lsquare likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Don't forget there are only something like 600-700 CCR card holders, and with the 747s now being retired and the A380s not flying - First Class will be few and far between for a while. Be interesting to see what they do with it.
lsquare and KARFA like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 3:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Don't forget there are only something like 600-700 CCR card holders, and with the 747s now being retired and the A380s not flying - First Class will be few and far between for a while. Be interesting to see what they do with it.
Few and far between is probably a bit of an overstatement. You still have F on most of the 787 fleet and most of the 777 fleet. On the 787s, 350s, and a sub-set of the 777s don't. And for the time being, presumably AA F can access the CCR. Total F seats are down quite a bit (and loads are too) but I think more than 50% of the long haul flights departing LHR still have an F cabin.

I guess I thought the number of CCR card holders is more like 2-3K but happy to be told I'm in an even more exclusive club
lsquare likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:01 am
Suspended

Few and far between is probably a bit of an overstatement. You still have F on most of the 787 fleet and most of the 777 fleet. On the 787s, 350s, and a sub-set of the 777s don't. And for the time being, presumably AA F can access the CCR. Total F seats are down quite a bit (and loads are too) but I think more than 50% of the long haul flights departing LHR still have an F cabin.

I guess I thought the number of CCR card holders is more like 2-3K but happy to be told I'm in an even more exclusive club
Until the A380s resume, if ever, the F seat count drop is more like 60-70%. 787-8s have none, 787-9 have just 8, 787-10 have 8 but BA have just 2 active in fleet due to 'build issues' with Boeing (built at the 'Al Jazeera alleged profit-over-safety bodge-it non unionised factory'), A350s have none (and replace 747s), 777s cut from 14 to 8, but some going from 12/14F to nil F three class. Less F also means less connecting F passengers needing the CCR.

So, in future its likely F will be more paid F.
Ability to redeem miles with a joker into A class may well become the strongest GGL benefit not the Concorde Card
lsquare likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think to be fair that particular superpower is conferred to anyone applying a GUF these days

Since that change a few years ago I find even less use for the jokers.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
... also means less fewer connecting F passengers needing the CCR.
That's a plus in my books.
alex67500 likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I think to be fair that particular superpower is conferred to anyone applying a GUF these days

Since that change a few years ago I find even less use for the jokers.
So you let your jokers expire?
Old May 14, 2021, 12:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
So you let your jokers expire?
usually yes
Old May 14, 2021, 12:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
usually yes
You're not alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.