Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think this is the right thread for this question. I'm flying JFK-LHR-HEL on BA in June. JFK-LHR in F and LHR-HEL in C. I noticed that LHR-HEL leaves from T3. Obviously I'd rather enjoy my layover at T5 with the CCR than at T3 with just the Flounge. Is it possible to stay in T5 airside for the connection then make my way to T3 or will I be stuck going to T3?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I think this is the right thread for this question. I'm flying JFK-LHR-HEL on BA in June. JFK-LHR in F and LHR-HEL in C. I noticed that LHR-HEL leaves from T3. Obviously I'd rather enjoy my layover at T5 with the CCR than at T3 with just the Flounge. Is it possible to stay in T5 airside for the connection then make my way to T3 or will I be stuck going to T3?
No, you will not be able to access T5 airside. The lounges at T3 are very nice, especially the new QF gin bar, so don't worry, it's not that terrible!
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
No, you will not be able to access T5 airside. The lounges at T3 are very nice, especially the new QF gin bar CX Flounge,
I corrected that for you.........
vulle and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:44 am

Hi all,

Hoping somebody will be able to give some advice on a recent flight I have just booked, and the likelihood of making a connection.

I used Avios for a CE flight from PSA-LHR-MAN on 14th April. I have a 1 hour connection in LHR onto the MAN flight, and I am a little concerned I won’t make the connection. This would also mean I miss the final flight to MAN of the day.

What would be the very minimum time to connect, as I expect the flight from PSA could be delayed? Would BA send someone to help us make the conenction?

If if we missed the connection, What would BAs approach be here? Would I be given train tickets to MAN, or given a hotel for the evening and take one of the flights the next day?

Any advice on the above is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you are more than about 30 minutes late arriving into LHR you won't make that connection and BA will rebook you to the next day's services and give you a hotel for the night. If you are on time, 1 hour is perfectly fine for LHR and you may even get 10 minutes in the lounge if eligible. The only way around that is to travel on the earlier service from PSA, or use another airport in the vicinity of PSA, BA605 is due into LHR at 19:30 (and it has to be said doesn't have good punctuality record). If rebooking is needed it should take place automatically, so keep an eye on your App. If you are rebooked you will typically be met off the PSA service and handed the necessary dockets.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BAW94
Hi all,

Hoping somebody will be able to give some advice on a recent flight I have just booked, and the likelihood of making a connection.

I used Avios for a CE flight from PSA-LHR-MAN on 14th April. I have a 1 hour connection in LHR onto the MAN flight, and I am a little concerned I won’t make the connection. This would also mean I miss the final flight to MAN of the day.

What would be the very minimum time to connect, as I expect the flight from PSA could be delayed? Would BA send someone to help us make the conenction?

If if we missed the connection, What would BAs approach be here? Would I be given train tickets to MAN, or given a hotel for the evening and take one of the flights the next day?

Any advice on the above is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Further to the advice from cws I would say that the important time deadline you need to keep in mind is conformance which is 35 minutes before your flight (domestics can sometimes be less but I would just stick with working with 35). Basically if your PSA flight is a little late and you are close to that head to UK flight connections in T5A and do not take the landside option as described in the first few posts - with the new e-passport gates at UK flight connections you should be through immigration very quickly and once you get to the automatic gates where you scan your bp that is where you will meet conformance.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Made a T5A to T3 transfer on a Sunday afternoon (18 Feb, ~4pm), and made it without any hassle. The security check at Transit Hall T3 is deserted!
Transfer desk for non-AA flights are located immediately after security. For transfering to CX and no one's there, go to the lounge would work. Maybe that works for other airlines as well excl. AA.

Don't even attempt to go landside route, my partner (ending at LHR) spent 30+ minutes on fast track, told me at least 50+pax. were waiting, and stamdard queue had hundreds of them (like 500+!!!!)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Hello,

I wonder if you kind people can advise me as I am in the ‘novice flyer’ class.I am flying back from Dallas Fort Worth into Heathrow Terminal 5 in mid April on BA flight No BA192, which arrives at Heathrow 0905hrs. I have a separate booking (on a different ticket) for almost five hours later at 1355hrs on BA1394 to Manchester. The flights are in Club World/Club Europe if that makes any difference. I am assuming at Dallas they will only check my bags in as far as Heathrow and not Manchester?

Providing things go to plan, when I arrive at Heathrow from Dallas, do I go through the full ‘arrival procedure’ ie going through immigration, collect bags, through customs, then go to departures and re-check in the bags for the Manchester flight. Then go through security etc? Or, on arrival do I follow the ‘Flight Connections’ signs?

If so, what is the procedure using this service?Being somewhat disabled I have booked assistance at the airport but just want to check that I am being pushed in the right direction.

Am I also right in thinking I can use the BA Arrivals lounge for a while after arrival at Heathrow? If so, should I check my bags in for the Manchester flight before or after using the arrivals lounge?

Many thanks

BM (sorry if the questions are a bit basic, but I haven’t flown for many years).
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
on separate tickets it is very likely your bags will NOT be checked through to Manchester

in which case you will need to go through immigration, collect bags and walk through the appropriate customs channel

arriving in CW yes you can use the arrivals lounge, it is up to you if you want to check your bags in before using the lounge or not. You go past the lounge when going from arrivals to departures so it can be more convenient to take the bags with you rather than check in and then double back on yourself.

on the odd chance you do get your bags checked through then you can still go through the arrivals at heathrow process to use the arrivals lounge, ust not collect your bags. With such a lengthy connection this is what I would do.
BarneyMcGrew likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
on separate tickets it is very likely your bags will NOT be checked through to Manchester

in which case you will need to go through immigration, collect bags and walk through the appropriate customs channel

arriving in CW yes you can use the arrivals lounge, it is up to you if you want to check your bags in before using the lounge or not. You go past the lounge when going from arrivals to departures so it can be more convenient to take the bags with you rather than check in and then double back on yourself.

on the odd chance you do get your bags checked through then you can still go through the arrivals at heathrow process to use the arrivals lounge, ust not collect your bags. With such a lengthy connection this is what I would do.
Very many thanks for your comprehensive answer.

It is much appreciated and eases my worries somewhat.

Thanks again.

BM
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Will flying into LHR on AA in F, and connecting to a BA flight to DUB in J. I'm assuming we clear customers in T3 then make our way to T5, correct? What is the average time from landing to make it to T5? Also, what is the best lounge at T5? I assume since we are arriving in F, we can use the Concorde Lounge in T5.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Will flying into LHR on AA in F, and connecting to a BA flight to DUB in J. I'm assuming we clear customers in T3 then make our way to T5, correct? What is the average time from landing to make it to T5? Also, what is the best lounge at T5? I assume since we are arriving in F, we can use the Concorde Lounge in T5.
Hi,

The best way is to follow signs for flight connections at T3 and take the bus to T5 where you will pass security ( there will be fast track security) before going to T 5 departures ( customs will be done at DUB)

As you are arriving on an AA F flight you will not have access to the Concorde Lounge ( only BA F pax) but will have access to Galleries First

Regards

TBS
FlightNurse likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 4, 2018 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What is the average time from landing to make it to T5? .
You can assume 45 minutes for that, it can take a bit more or a bit less than that, a key variable is the arrival gate in T3 since some are a long way from Flight Connections. That's from doors open at T3 to the end of security at T5.
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The best way is to follow signs for flight connections at T3 and take the bus to T5 where you will pass security before going to T 5 departures ( customs will be done at DUB)

As you are arriving on an AA F flight you will not have access to the Concorde Lounge ( only BA F pax) but will have access to Galleries First

Regards

TBS
Thank you

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can assume 45 minutes for that, it can take a bit more or a bit less than that, a key variable is the arrival gate in T3 since some are a long way from Flight Connections. That's from doors open at T3 to the end of security at T5.
My luck we will be at the far end of T3.. But 45 minutes isn't all that bad.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Sounds about right. My last time doing this last year it took me exactly an hour from docking at T3 to being at the lounge in T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.