Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far are you willing to fly in economy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: Gold Actually
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
I have to fly economy for work, sometimes as far as SYD. But willingly, no.
nail and head

the title of the thread should have been:

How far are you willing to fly in economy if YOU are paying(NOT your company or your points)?

Most people cannot afford to pay for F or J out of their own money and so have to fly economy
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ivanerr
I'm quite surprised with people saying "I'm not flying economy unless it is about an hour". How do you travel short-haul then if CE has exactly the same pitch as ET?
It's not all about the seat pitch, it's about being able to spread out laterally as you don't have someone squished in the middle.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
I usually fly Y to nearly everywhere. I nearly always manage to get the Emergency Exit seats since legroom is what matter to me and I am quite ok sleeping in Y.

Of course, when I can find some cheap J or F flights I go for it.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
Unfortunately, UC and J & F redemptions have spoiled me for my own personal travel (no flying for work!) .

We had enough problem with flying WT as a family back in 2011 (pax in front decided to go to full recline asap after takeoff - intruding on soin's spce even back then), I now have a 6 footer and another one shooting away so need the better leg room of wt+.

I also view the journey as an important part of the whole experience.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I generally commute between LHR and SFO. I'm fine with Economy on the way out, as long as I've carefully chosen my seat to give extra legroom and/or a bulkhead, or I have an entire row to myself. I really don't need any more. However, it has to be Business on the way back. I managed that every time last year, with only one booked Business trip - the others were all booked Economy. The trick, which will come as a shock on this particular Forum, is to use UA rather than BA - the annual six free upgrades plus a couple of other tricks go straight into C - and there a fair number of decent economy seats to choose from.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Ivanerr
I'm quite surprised with people saying "I'm not flying economy unless it is about an hour". How do you travel short-haul then if CE has exactly the same pitch as ET?
I think the same way. Here in europe for an 1 to 3 hour flight I think it's just a waste of money. Sometimes I do get an OP UP, its nice, but the difference to Y is just marginal.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:32 am

Being relatively young (<30) and in good shape, I don't find Y long-haul that bad, even though I find it impossible to sleep on aeroplanes (even in J) - must have something to do with the humidity and getting a very dry throat - I find it hard to breather lying down on aeroplanes.

A good pump/jog on arrival and a long night's first sleep and I'm good. (and the melatonin)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:38 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
There is not really any limit. I obviously prefer J but have flown Y on 10h+ flights (both leisure and work) and will redo it if necessary (actually I have a TATL booked in Y in both directions in March). It does not matter whether this is a work or personal trip, as work policy is Y only. So if I fly W or J I pay for the difference.
This is all dependent on a number of factors and whether or not I can do get a good deal, UuA, ....
Having said that, the last two years 75 % of my long haul flights were W or J, thanks to FT

And I agree with Calchas, those who thinks "wussies" should exchange their beds against a bench. Do not forget that some people here are doing long-haul flights on a very regular basis.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm an Aussie living in London and I've made plenty of trips between London and Melbourne in Y over the years. My logic was "yes it's awful but it's only 1 day of travel - I can't justify blowing thousands on it."

For the first time this year I'm going in business (with QR) thanks to learning about ex-EU and ITA matrix on this forum.

Not sure I'll be able to go back to Y after that.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Revenge
Not sure I'll be able to go back to Y after that.
You might get addicted to J Once you try F you never wanna go back to J ether ...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Virtually anywhere but the further the destination the more breaks I am building into the itinerary. So a trip to Hawaii would have stops in JFK and LAX. Economy is how the absolute majority are travelling, and regardless of how it is perceived on FT it is perfectly fine.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by schranerli
I think the same way. Here in europe for an 1 to 3 hour flight I think it's just a waste of money. Sometimes I do get an OP UP, its nice, but the difference to Y is just marginal.
Agree, but sometimes the price difference is also marginal and for the extra TP's it is often very worth it. Also a lot of the European flights I take tend to be completely jam packed, so having a bit of space next to me becomes very important. Having initially been very disappointed about the new CE cabin, I still find myself in it/booking it as often as I used to, although in a way I hope I am in a minority because I want people to abandon CE so that eventually BA lose out and give the CE passengers more legroom.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The OP is clearly young enough to cope with l/h in Y

Flying on my own dime, as they say, it's now exclusively J/F for l/h. Our brief experience with MaxJet in 06 and 07 convinced us that comfort over-rode considerations on price! So our last l/h in W was in 07, and our last l//h in Y was in 01!!

We have often braved 1-hour Domestic sectors in Y over the years, but that's our limit. And even then we tend to fly CE ... it's partly for the TPs, you understand!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
No where, although have to do it to EDI or GLA, but most times get row 1, anything else is F^
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't pay much extra at all for Economy sold as business ( CE ) over economy

If I could get an exit row seat in economy, that would be better imo than most CE seats
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.