How far are you willing to fly in economy?

Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
How far are you willing to fly in economy?

I'm a long time lurker. I notice this is a forum full of Gold's, a smattering of Silver's and then "the rest"... the unwashed masses so they say...

Economy gets some slack on here, but it's not too bad. I enjoyed CW cabins for the first time this Summer thanks to you guys on FT (LHR-BOS/LAX-LHR, LCY-JFK/BOS-LHR, LHR-BKK), but make a point of booking at least some trips in WT/WTP to keep one's expectations in check.

For me, dayflights are manageable in WT, like LHR-BOS, LHR-SFO etc.

But, knowing the FT tricks for CW, something like BA15 to SYD in one haul in Y might be a bit of a stretch. So I guess that's my limit... my spending jumps there to look at stopovers/WTP/ex-EU J.

ET is perfectly acceptable intra-Europe. I fly CE only on RFS when the only good time and availability is in Club, or on an ex-EU positioner to London.

What's your limit for each cabin? (And do you regularly have to pay for flights yourself?)

Curious to get this boards' thoughts!

World Traveller Fuss
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:25 pm
Suspended

After spending 2 hours crammed into an ET seat* my answer is: Zero hours.

WT I've found not bad actually, mainly as it's always been quiet on my flights (lucky, I know) so I've had 2 or 3 seats to myself. Can't imagine it being much fun for a 10 hour flight with just the one seat.

*(extra legroom according to the website, looked the same as others to me. 8E on the A321)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Anywhere worldwide, but then I do phone ahead to let them know I'm coming and to have my favourite drink prepared.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:29 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Economy within Europe, OK, but not regularly.

Farther than that, no chance at all now, but I'm in a position where I do not need to travel for work and can choose whether to travel or not otherwise. Long haul economy *is* that bad.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
I'm not prepared to fly economy. If I was told I had to I'd decline to fly. I'm fortunate in that a large proportion of my flights are paid for by work and are in F or J. When it comes to leisure I tend to book J and try for F upgrades with miles.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
MAN/LBA to LHR or vice versa.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
I'm a long time lurker. I notice this is a forum full of Gold's, a smattering of Silver's and then "the rest"... the unwashed masses so they say...

Economy gets some slack on here, but it's not too bad. I enjoyed CW cabins for the first time this Summer thanks to you guys on FT (LHR-BOS/LAX-LHR, LCY-JFK/BOS-LHR, LHR-BKK), but make a point of booking at least some trips in WT/WTP to keep one's expectations in check.

But, knowing the FT tricks for CW, something like BA15 to SYD in one haul in Y might be a bit of a stretch. So I guess that's my limit... my spending jumps there to look at stopovers/WTP/ex-EU J.

ET is perfectly acceptable intra-Europe. I fly CE only on RFS when the only good time and availability is in Club, or on an ex-EU positioner to London.
World Traveller Fuss
I "commute" between Australia and the UK in Y. There's a fair few hardcore Y-travellers on this board. Work pays for it.

Personal travel, I try to get at least WT+ if not J if prices are reasonable, but the accumulated airmiles usually make getting J flights quite straightforward for me. That may change now that some of the cheaper Y buckets to Australia now only get me marginally more TPs than a return domestic.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My tolerance of long haul economy depends on the strength of my desire to visit somewhere. Having done three return trips to SYD in WT I wouldn't look forward to another, but not being in Club wouldn't stop me from going. There are several regulars here who ply back and forth down under in Traveller and survive.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What's your limit for each cabin? (And do you regularly have to pay for flights yourself?)
AKL/WLG/CHC. With no stopovers. And back. And repeated many times.

And yes, I pay for practically all my flights myself.

There are a lot of FTers who are just soft and spoiled. I always prefer not to do it in Y if I can avoid it, but it's hardly life-threatening.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I can do a day short long haul flight, e.g. LHR-JFK. But beyond that and particularly overnight, I upgrade or pay for a minimum of WTP.

H
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

World Traveller Fuss
Pretty much anywhere, though work policy does allow for W for 7hr+ (and C if it is cheaper than W, or I pay the difference myself, and I have seen sales where the fare difference is nonexistent/negligible.)
As for my personal travel, I typically try and grab Z/U class (oneworld), or O/I class (*A) seats to maximise value, almost always on intercontinental flights.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I haven't done a LH flight in Y, ever. WT+ is my norm, and if I upgrade it's usually using Avios or AUP. In terms of Y travel, it tends to be up to 3 hours maximum so LAS - DFW for example (but that is MCE so a little better). I once refused to do LHR - LAX in Y for work. I am not saying I would never travel Y for long haul but I would certainly prefer not to.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
I don't fly economy unless I have no choice, such as on domestics.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quite frankly, this forum is full of wussies.

Having said that. I will accept if you can fly in a premium cabin for not much more than the cost of economy it makes a lot of sense to do so.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Beansprout
Anywhere worldwide, but then I do phone ahead to let them know I'm coming and to have my favourite drink prepared.
I've even got their number now if you need it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.