Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far are you willing to fly in economy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Really depends on price and availability.

Last year did LHR-SIN-SYD (break)-CHC then CHC-SYD-SIN-LHR in Y - would have liked to have gone WT+ (or even CW) - but prohibitive cost-wise! Usually have to do TATL in Y for work, but usually do it in WT+ for personal use, particularly since I can usually do it for less than what work pays for Y! (at Xmas this year doing US-UK rtn 19/12 out and 2/1 rtn for 700 UKP in WT+).

Y is not too bad. Done a number of TPACs in Y - 16 hours of, well, unpleasantness with AA, but I survived; although nothing with AA would make me believe it would be any better in a class above Y with them!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I have done my years of economy flying on long haul flights. And I won't do it any more.

If I am paying, I will pay for Club. One way or another, in terms of sales, ex-EU, Avios etc. Just for the extra space. I also have a medical issue that is relieved on long haul flights with the ability to put my feet up.

I would say that my threshold in Europe would be maybe 2-2.5 hours, any more than that, and I would pay for something with more space like CE.

This is one of the reasons I don't use my staff travel concessions. I don't want to end up in a middle seat down the back of a 747, or even a jump seat for a long haul flight. I just can't do it.

The journey is part of the holiday for me, and I want to enjoy it, not feel anxious about how I am going to feel during the flight or when I arrive.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't pay much extra at all for Economy sold as business ( CE ) over economy

If I could get an exit row seat in economy, that would be better imo than most CE seats
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
4h. Basically the Canary Islands..
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
4 hours max.

I can bear WT+ for 6-7 hours, days flights only though.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:23 pm

How far are you willing to fly in economy?

It depends how often you have to do it, downtime down route and the expectations made of you when you get there.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Quite frankly, this forum is full of wussies.

Having said that. I will accept if you can fly in a premium cabin for not much more than the cost of economy it makes a lot of sense to do so.
When we were younger, we always took the kids on holiday with us - always long haul and with a mortgage to pay for at the time, economy was the only option.

Now that the kids are grown up and have their own lives and we have more disposable income, the majority of our flights are now in J - mostly ex EU.

I use RFS in Y for positioning flights and I did do a recent KEF trip in Y which to be fair, although it was only three hours, it was not too bad and I lived to tell the tale.

I believe that those who have been fortunate enough to have traveled in J from a very young age (some may suggest spoiled), may be the people who just would not consider flying down the back.

Wussies? I am not sure, but economy does offer a service for those fiscally challenged or for passengers who can but won't pay for a premium cabin.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Hahahaha and I thought I was a diva!

I will fly Y anywhere in the world although admittedly my tendency to go for premium cabins even when paying out of my own pocket is increasing with age. I think long haul Y is easier than ever, with AVOD. This year I flew my first ever LHR-SYD without stopping off en route (not including transit/refuel stop) and I was dreading it. On all my previous trips I had stopped off either in BKK, SIN, HKG etc for at least a day or two, but this time it was not possible. Part of me wanted it to be horrendous so that I could justify never doing it again. It was fine.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Intra Europe, Y is ok, but on LH... I would go for J only, now. I travel for leisure, and I prefer a vacation starting from the very beginning... also because, being not that young anymore, and also not that thin, seat size and features have their own importance

By the way, FT, and this board in particular, helped me A LOT about that.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:30 pm

Whilst I'll book WTP if it's not too much more than WT, that's more for the TP to be honest. I'm only 5'5" so I find WT comfortable enough, especially for the outbound JFK-LHR which is often under six hours actual flight time. In fact, I'd say the IFE is more of a decider for me - I'll happily do an LHR-JFK sector in WT on a 777 with the Thales IFE.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:34 pm

It all depends on price. Just booked LHR-YYZ-LHR in Y for £150 + 15000K avios.

But if it's near an ex-eu J price then why not
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:58 pm

I am self employed and need to pay for all my travel by myself. Still in start-up phase. I am Gold with almost 3000TP but due to honeymoon to HNL and some other trips in CW. Since I can choose exit seat in WT it is not to bad. In the last 4 weeks I have been in KUL and HKG, both in WT. Today I fly home to Europe from JFK in CW which I bought with a good price and then it is ok. I will sleep all the way home and this is great. Dont care drinks and food on a flight.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Personally I see anything other than economy short haul to be a waste of money/miles. Happy with Easyjet, Ryanair and whoever else for SH too.

I only ever flew Y long haul until 2 years ago, when I discovered ex-EU and the miles game. Now I'll try to always book J with the priority being the overnight flight. I'm not willing to spend more than about £1.5k all in on the flights, but I can get to most of the world and back in J for that. If I can't see good value, I'll settle for Y or Y+.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I now get to play the medical card to justify (to myself) why I shouldn't fly economy – cramped legroom increases risk of DVT recurrence etc.

Given I went to FCO back in February in ET I'd say that's my limit. Wouldn't want to stretch much further, I was grateful for the op up on the return
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
1 hour maximum, so Band 1 economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.