Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far are you willing to fly in economy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Anything longer than 2.5hrs in Y is a literal pain in the @rse for me due to sciatic problems. My last LH Y saw me standing in the galley for about 6 out of 9 hours.

Also, to be brutally honest, heading back down the back would give my ego a battering!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
I wouldn't fly in economy these days unless it was less than an hour, maybe slightly longer if it saved a lot of money.

I'm 6ft 5, and economy legroom gets smaller each year. It's bad enough that the head rest offers no support once you're over a certain height but when the person in front then reclines...

Also heard that they're making the bins bigger and lower. That'll be great, because economy doesn't feel claustrophobic enough as it is.

Medium haul (i.e. to Egypt) on Thomson/Thomas Cook is unbearable. 28 inch legroom. I've done that many times when poorer and booking package holidays, when invariably all the exit rows are taken. I'm pleased to say that those days are behind me.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I was going to agree 100% with Sebastiansw3 but then realised that I'm on a Qantaslink Dash8 for a 2 hour flight to Lord Howe Island tomorrow - hell!!!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I wouldn't deprive myself of the joy of visiting somewhere I really wanted to go because I could only do so in Economy so my criteria aren't distance based.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
I did AMS-LHR-BKK on BA in economy not so long ago (back in CW) and had a bulkhead seat on the aisle in the long-haul portion and it was perfect to be honest. I even managed to get some sleep.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:12 am

A couple years ago I would probably answered that question with: "anywhere". since i started to fly some LC carriers especially in china I tend to say "nowhere". But the through now is a bit of a mix, if I know the airline, their Y product and the offer is good, I still don't mind to fly it. Obviously i prefer J or F.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:16 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
A little over an hour... maybe 2 if there's no business class available on the route. Luckily American and Asian short haul business hard product have not been enhanced away, and the train is a good option for Europe

Different people have different needs and tolerances.

I'm rugby prop with a triple XL size chest and shoulders, who has to sit at an angle elbows tucked in and one shoulder dipped at angle and gets smacked in the shoulders if he falls asleep and the cart comes down the aisle.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Quite frankly, this forum is full of wussies.

So yes sir, total wussie... Good to know if I'm ever stuck in back there's some hardened, rugged individuals back there. Crew might forget to open the can of coke and these butter soft hands can't risk chipping a nail...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:39 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I would travel any distance in economy. Difference is that in economy I'd be dreading the journey, whereas in CW I would look forward to it as part of the holiday.

*I travel almost exclusively for personal reasons
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:06 am

Three hours max in Europe as long as there is a slight recline on the seats. Anything over that it's a flat bed or I stay at home.

In mitigation I have serious back issues .
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Quite frankly, this forum is full of wussies.
perhaps.... or maybe people have very good reasons not to spend hours in cramped conditions
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
About two hours of actual air time is my max flying solo or flying in a three by three configuration with my wife (and even then, would adjust times to get an exit row or similar extra legroom seating). I would strecth that a bit for a decent two seat configuration if traveling with my wife (or someone else). Would be ok with Citiflyer's Greek services in Y but definitely would never do LHR-ATH in Y.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I was very much spoilt as a child as all my flying was in first class, as odd as it may sound I really wish it hadn't been as when I left home and had to pay for my own flights it was a bit of a wake up call flying in Y

Nowadays, if I'm paying myself (which I am 9 out of 10 times) I tend to travel LH in J, or F if there's a good deal on and always if it's a longer flight, saying that I also fly ex-EU now (purely thanks to FT) as it brings the J price down to W and the F down to J etc.. If my clients are paying for me to go LH it is usually WT+ but I will AUP.

SH I'm much less of a diva and can easily cope a couple of hours, but like many people I prefer to fly in exit rows etc.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I have to fly economy for work, sometimes as far as SYD. But willingly, no.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: Skyteam elite, One world Emerald
How far are you willing to fly in economy?

On personal trips: anywhere.
Work allows C, for trips over 6 hours anyway, which pretty much covers every flight I do. As most others, I'm expected to hit the ground running when I arrive and go straight into the office.
On personal trips with the significant other, it's a different dynamic, since we usually go for somewhere sunny and relaxing. Did AMS-SIN-DPS last year on KL in Y, and we survived. I did grab two cheap upgrades on the return, and she's wasn't too fussed about it.
In the beginning of my career I was doing TATL to the west coast at least once a month for a number of years in Y. It was fine. That's how the majority of people travel anyways.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Well, economy can be quite different.

I remember spending 5 hours on an Iberia aircraft overnight when I couldn't even bring my knees together! It was a real torture.

Then again what's wrong with spending even 10 hours on a day flight on let's say BA 747 if you aren't particularly tall?

I'm quite surprised with people saying "I'm not flying economy unless it is about an hour". How do you travel short-haul then if CE has exactly the same pitch as ET?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.