Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far are you willing to fly in economy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by musehead
I'm not willing to spend more than about £1.5k all in on the flights, but I can get to most of the world and back in J for that.
How times have changed.

I remember cancelling a trip to New Zealand 30 years ago because I couldn't get a ticket for less than £1000 in discount economy unless I flew with some dodgy Korean or Indonesian outfit.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'm very lucky and haven't flown long haul in anything less than business class since 2004.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
5 hours domestically on a daytime flight in Canada. Basically YYZ-YVR. No way though on a redeye flight anymore. International I always pay for or upgrade to J or F
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Depends on the plane, but generally no more than 2 hours if in an exit row, or one hour if in a smaller regional aircraft. Even CE after two hours or so starts to irritate my back and my old sports injuries.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'll happily do a TATL day flight in economy, if the saving is there (£150-200 each way over WTP). But I'd rather do Y day, J overnight, than W both ways.

Long haul is all self-funded; work would pay for W if it needed me to travel long haul.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:37 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
How far are you willing to fly in economy?

4 hours is probably my limit if I have a choice. Don't mind doing economy plus anywhere. Tho I'd prefer a flat bed for long haul.

Alas due to saving for a wedding, I am flying back DXB-GLA later next year and will do many Y trips to/from DXB and GLA following my first Y Longhaul in a few years so my tolerance is getting better
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL, AA
5 hrs. Max.

TATL or TPAC - I have to sleep. Otherwise kiss the next 3-5 days at
destination good-bye from sleep deprivation & since my trips are ~7 days
max, not worth the savings in economy.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Hello.

My rule is, if it's an overnight flight, I have a lie-flat bed.
If it's a daytime flight Y will do.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:18 pm

I'll tolerate around 6 hours in Y. At 6'2" with fairly broad shoulders that's the limit before it starts to get seriously uncomfortable.

On long hauls I'll first try and find a day flight and go Y+. If it has to be an overnight I'll try and get on CX who seem to like upgrading Y+ passengers, otherwise I'll look at QR in J. My personal threshold is about 2k GBP which is more than enough for one of the above.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
SFO-ATL-JNB-CPT

Nothing to it. Slept like a baby.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle
It depends how often you have to do it, downtime down route and the expectations made of you when you get there.
... the expectation is that I get booked in Y on a TATL that arrives before 9am for a 9am meeting the same day... .
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:32 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I'm probably an exception on this board... of course I like flying business...

But really, economy isn't that terrible to me. When I consider the problems in the world, and the fact most people will never have access to the opportunities I have, I can honestly say a few hours in economy represents no great torture.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:12 pm

I would do Economy anywhere, if I had to. Fortunately I no longer have to, so I won't. I don't particularly like what I have to pay, who does? But I will, oh yes, I most definitely will....
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Quite frankly, this forum is full of wussies.
Quite right. It's a special place.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Having said that. I will accept if you can fly in a premium cabin for not much more than the cost of economy it makes a lot of sense to do so.
Absolutely.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If push comes to shove I will (and a few times a year do) tolerate a daytime TATL in Y.

If a preference for J makes me a softie, I invite you to exchange your bed at home for a kitchen chair...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.