Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA flight attendant rude beyond belief

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I have told people in the past not to take things off the trolly… I don't have a problem with saying that to people. And I know we are talking about crisps here, but in WT, people seem to think nothing of just taking a bottle of wine off the top of the meal trolly. You would not walk into a pub and help yourself without either asking or being served to it, just because you are on a plane, makes no difference.

Ask politely, and you will be given anything that I am able to give you, demand or shout at me, and your result may differ. Such as "toddle off to Club and get me an X, Y or Z…" is not going to get you a favourable response, nor will it get you what you want.
I agree with you BingBongBoy. Lets just say a minor took a bottle of wine for himself or herself and passed it around to a bunch of their friends? Or another passenger sees a bottle of Vodka and decides to take it back to their seats without asking that could potentially be a risk as they are serving themselves alcohol against the rules of flight attendants serving themselves.

Its nice to ask if its OK to have those crisps or a drink. I was brought up to ask politely so when I travel I always ask the Flight Attendant if its possible to have a "Double" closed mini bottle with a smile and 9 times out of 10 I get my request granted. If not I can fully understand and patiently wait for the next round.

The reason I ask for a "Double" or two bottles of wine serves two purposes. One so I can mix my own drink to my liking. And secondly so I don't have to ask again and again for another one when it would take the Flight Attendant some time to get to my row again.

We as customers should think of the person working. Flight Attendants are not slaves. They are there primarily for your safety and nowhere does it state they are obliged to serve you. I mean while the airline standards dictate what is being served a flight attendant has every right to cut you off from the alcohol etc.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
You are not allowed to reference a comment from another forum here on FT
The Emirates board is part of FT
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by danielonn
I agree with you BingBongBoy. Lets just say a minor took a bottle of wine for himself or herself and passed it around to a bunch of their friends? Or another passenger sees a bottle of Vodka and decides to take it back to their seats without asking that could potentially be a risk as they are serving themselves alcohol against the rules of flight attendants serving themselves.

Its nice to ask if its OK to have those crisps or a drink. I was brought up to ask politely so when I travel I always ask the Flight Attendant if its possible to have a "Double" closed mini bottle with a smile and 9 times out of 10 I get my request granted. If not I can fully understand and patiently wait for the next round.

The reason I ask for a "Double" or two bottles of wine serves two purposes. One so I can mix my own drink to my liking. And secondly so I don't have to ask again and again for another one when it would take the Flight Attendant some time to get to my row again.

We as customers should think of the person working. Flight Attendants are not slaves. They are there primarily for your safety and nowhere does it state they are obliged to serve you. I mean while the airline standards dictate what is being served a flight attendant has every right to cut you off from the alcohol etc.
Except that the OP didn't take the crisps off the trolley. A member of the cabin crew was passing them out and the OP took one.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by HilFly
Except that the OP didn't take the crisps off the trolley. A member of the cabin crew was passing them out and the OP took one.
And neither the person you have quote, nor myself, who the person you have just quoted originally quoted, said that. It was a general point raised by something said, by someone else who had quoted someone else's quote in the quote chain.

So I apologise for detracting from the OPs plight.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by lighthand
I've just started looking into this forum (due to upcoming flight). I have to ask if majority are employees of BA, after looking at the stones thrown OPs way.

OP's complain (ignoring the blog plug, just so we can move along) looks valid on face value. As a paying customer, you do have the basic right to standard of service. Assuming OP did not do a "go fetch", it's well within his/her right to request for service which was paid for.

FAs are NOT servants but they ARE paid to serve (not abused, but simply serve).

I would have raised the matter with Purser of the flight, and depending on the reply I might escalate the matter to their management. Complains and compensation aside, I believe real feedback will help the airline improve.
No, your mistake was ignoring the blog plug. That is the reason for the post here. By the way, your caps lock key seems to be sticking on sometimes.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The blog plug just makes people a little more cynical about the story.

Basically, it sounds like the FA felt the OP was being rude by ignoring him, and mildly overreacted. Should he have been more professional? Yes, probably, but this is one of those very small things that hardly seems worth thinking twice about, much less starting a thread about or making a blog post about.

Life goes on.
It constantly amazes me how this forum thinks it's perfectly valid to moan about sandwiches being wrapped in plastic yet it's beyond reasonable to complain that a flight attendant snapped at you unprovoked for no apparent reason and then refused to serve you twice.

If you wish to call them a liar then do so, don't dismiss dreadful service as perfectly fine.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by callum9999
It constantly amazes me how this forum thinks it's perfectly valid to moan about sandwiches being wrapped in plastic yet it's beyond reasonable to complain that a flight attendant snapped at you unprovoked for no apparent reason and then refused to serve you twice.

If you wish to call them a liar then do so, don't dismiss dreadful service as perfectly fine.
But, what you seem to be completely ignoring is the fact that there are two sides to every story and we only have one side of it.

What every person needs to remember, from every angle, is that just because it is posted on an internet forum, supposedly, but probably not, populated by actual frequent fliers, does not make it true.

Peachy cobbler. Now lets all be friends and have a sandwich wrapped in plastic so we can moan about that too and dissect it to most minute of details and accuse each other of being a BA/Sandwich/Plastic/Wrapping/Filling/bread/Passenger/Customer/Crew/Boeing/Airbus* (*delete as appropriate) apologist.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:32 pm

But, what you seem to be completely ignoring is the fact that there are two sides to every story and we only have one side of it.

What every person needs to remember, from every angle, is that just because it is posted on an internet forum, supposedly, but probably not, populated by actual frequent fliers, does not make it true.

Peachy cobbler. Now lets all be friends and have a sandwich wrapped in plastic so we can moan about that too and dissect it to most minute of details and accuse each other of being a BA/Sandwich/Plastic/Wrapping/Filling/bread/Passenger/Customer/Crew/Boeing/Airbus* (*delete as appropriate) apologist.
What you seem to be completely ignoring is where I clearly said if you don't believe them then feel free to suggest they're a liar...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by callum9999
What you seem to be completely ignoring is where I clearly said if you don't believe them then feel free to suggest they're a liar...
The world is not black and white. I agree with BBB. Any complaint can be honest without being correct.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Asked for a beer after take off in RUH a few weeks ago in the full knowledge that BA does not serve (yes...!!) until the aircraft has physically left Saudi airspace.

BA are the only airline who fly out of RUH who apply this policy...and in fact BMI (absorbed by BA a few years ago) would serve immediately the wheels were up if you asked the cabin crew politely.

Reasons given are in case the aircraft has to divert...a risk of course that all operators face, but that doesn't stop Lufthansa for instance. I'm of the opinion that its a cost saving measure, since takeoff is about 1.30am and of course most people will fall asleep if they have to wait 2 hours for a beer.

Long and the short of it was that the CSD decided to have a go at me - and I mean a go. Ended up backed up against the wall opposite the J class larder on the main deck with him waggling his finger at me. He wouldn't stop, just kept going on at me - kept making the same point and then walking way, then turning around and having another go...

Decided to dead pan it out "have it your way then mate etc etc..." Checked with original stwardess to see if original request deserved this response...and then complained to the Captain who (unwisely) decided to have a break and spend a few mins in the UD kitchen...

Left it at that...Chris
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Asked for a beer after take off in RUH a few weeks ago in the full knowledge that BA does not serve (yes...!!) until the aircraft has physically left Saudi airspace.

BA are the only airline who fly out of RUH who apply this policy...and in fact BMI (absorbed by BA a few years ago) would serve immediately the wheels were up if you asked the cabin crew politely.

Reasons given are in case the aircraft has to divert...a risk of course that all operators face, but that doesn't stop Lufthansa for instance. I'm of the opinion that its a cost saving measure, since takeoff is about 1.30am and of course most people will fall asleep if they have to wait 2 hours for a beer.

Long and the short of it was that the CSD decided to have a go at me - and I mean a go. Ended up backed up against the wall opposite the J class larder on the main deck with him waggling his finger at me. He wouldn't stop, just kept going on at me - kept making the same point and then walking way, then turning around and having another go...

Decided to dead pan it out "have it your way then mate etc etc..." Checked with original stwardess to see if original request deserved this response...and then complained to the Captain who (unwisely) decided to have a break and spend a few mins in the UD kitchen...

Left it at that...Chris
All that over one beer you knew you weren't going to get.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by paul4040
All that over one beer you knew you weren't going to get.
You're kidding, right ?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
The world is not black and white. I agree with BBB. Any complaint can be honest without being correct.
Thank you so much for stating the blindingly obvious, but in THIS scenario it pretty much is. Either it happened or it didn't. I cannot comprehend how the story could have been accidentally altered from a scenario in which the cabin attendant acted completely reasonably.

Though regardless, it doesn't alter the point. Use flowery language if you wish, but that doesn't change my point that you can question the OPs story but cannot justify the service as described - which is exactly what they did.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Another one-sided report of cabin-crew throwing a tizzy.

Couple in front of me in economy, separated by the aisle. By intent or mistake they'd switched seats.

Cue a pantomime pirouette from the crew member, the wife's special meal held aloft, eyes rolling heavenward - "you're supposed to ASK before you change seats".

Now, yes, perhaps it was water off a ducks back to the couple, and perhaps others in the cabin enjoyed the entertainment. But I felt uncomfortable, particularly as the eye-rolling was directed at me for sympathy, and because the hapless couple were Indian and I've no idea if they had the language skills to understand what sin they'd committed.

Not the sort of thing that ever gets reported: not something I'd have thought of again if I hadn't come across this thread. But not the best way to win hearts and minds.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Worcester
Yes and not a terribly well written one. Ops flight was BA307 on the 1st Oct apparently.
To be fair it reads as though English is not the OP's first language.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.