BA flight attendant rude beyond belief

Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

BA flight attendant rude beyond belief

I was flying on BA from Paris to London the other day and encountered the rudest flight attendant I have ever seen.

I boarded the plane pretty tired. Before we even took off, I had fallen asleep while also listening to music from my iPhone with noise cancelling headphones on. Sometime later I woke up – just at the time when a flight attendant was passing small bags of potato chips (crisps) as snacks. I picked up one and as I noticed that my seat mates had drinks on their seat tables – I asked for a glass of sparkling water.

What happened next was unbelievable – to me, and to my seatmates… The flight attendant – male, his name tag read ‘****’ – stared at me and uttered “Well, I asked you what would you like to drink several times a moment ago and you just ignored me…”

After he berated me with words – **** (the flight attendant) just walked away…
I waited for a minute or two and I pressed the call button. To my second surprise, nothing happened again!

All in all I was very surprised by this experience with BA.
Check out the full story of my highly unsatisfactory BA experience on my blog:
http://www.china-finds.com/travel/

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 3, 2015 at 1:00 pm Reason: Remove name of airline employee per rule 21
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:30 pm

A shameless plug for yet another travel blog.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Yes and not a terribly well written one. Ops flight was BA307 on the 1st Oct apparently.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:39 pm

Fascinating yarn.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by aa_fangirl
I was flying on BA from Paris to London the other day and encountered the rudest flight attendant I have ever seen.

I boarded the plane pretty tired. Before we even took off, I had fallen asleep while also listening to music from my iPhone with noise cancelling headphones on. Sometime later I woke up just at the time when a flight attendant was passing small bags of potato chips (crisps) as snacks. I picked up one and as I noticed that my seat mates had drinks on their seat tables I asked for a glass of sparkling water.

What happened next was unbelievable to me, and to my seatmates The flight attendant male, his name tag read **** stared at me and uttered Well, I asked you what would you like to drink several times a moment ago and you just ignored me

After he berated me with words **** (the flight attendant) just walked away
I waited for a minute or two and I pressed the call button. To my second surprise, nothing happened again!

Oh dear - but would it not have been better to raise with BA directly rather than post on a blog ?

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 3, 2015 at 1:01 pm Reason: Marry quote and reply
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:55 pm

I suggest you were not berated by words so much as you were pummeled by language.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:59 pm

I boarded the plane pretty tired. Before we even took off, I had fallen asleep while also listening to music from my iPhone with noise cancelling headphones on. Sometime later I woke up – just at the time when a flight attendant was passing small bags of potato chips (crisps) as snacks. I picked up one and as I noticed that my seat mates had drinks on their seat tables – I asked for a glass of sparkling water.

What happened next was unbelievable – to me, and to my seatmates… The flight attendant – male, his name tag read ***– stared at me and uttered “Well, I asked you what would you like to drink several times a moment ago and you just ignored me…”

Lets break this down as we like to do on FT. You were asleep and yes I realize you were asleep and tired. You wanted to have a drink and took the crisps. You could have asked nicely by saying"Excuse me I realize I was sleeping but when you have a chance would you please bring me some Sparkling Wine" along with a smile.

When I was asleep on a flight and I saw the Flight Attendant serving the cabin I waited until she was done and went back to the galley and politely said I was asleep when you were serving drinks and a snack and the flight attendant not only gave me the snack she gave me two of the sandwiches and poured me a stiff drink to go along with it. I said to the Flight Attendant I did not want her to go back with the cart and delay the service.

OP its how you interacted with the FA . Are you sure you weren't half asleep and may not have sounded polite? When you rang the call button did you expect to be served? Was there an emergency that you really needed your Sparkling Wine on a short flight of 45 minutes. You very well knew its a short flight and I am sure they announced it by saying"Ladies and Gentlemen as the flight is short in duration please have your drink orders ready when the Flight Attendant passes through the cabin".

By the time you asked for your Sparkling Wine I am sure they were preparing the cabin for arrival so **** had other duties to perform. You were not the only passenger. And if I am that tired I don't bother ordering anything. You could have went to the lounge before the flight or had better Champagne when you landed n London.

OP I hate to say but you had bad manners. You should have asked the FA "May I please have a bag of crisps along with a glass of Sparkling Wine"? And then thanked the FA.

Perhaps where the OP is from he thinks its ok to just take the bag of crisps. In England they are very strict about manners and even my Grandmother who lived in London taught me to be polite and ask before taking. The British are very strict about their manners so perhaps the FA was a bit offended and rightfully so that the OP did not even bother to ask and say thank you.

Quel Dommage!!! Sacre Bleu!!!! You will live and I hope you are not going to write a complaint to BA.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 3, 2015 at 6:17 pm Reason: Remove employee name per rule 21
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:04 pm

What happened next was unbelievable – to me, and to my seatmates… The flight attendant – male, his name tag read ‘****’ – stared at me and uttered “Well, I asked you what would you like to drink several times a moment ago and you just ignored me…”

Man you are way too demanding. Do you expect a full lunch on a 45 minute flight?(even less).

I live in California and fly to Los Angles which is 45 minutes once we are in the air. I am lucky to get a soda and am happy. On Delta in Economy Comfort I ask for a double of my favorite alcoholic beverage as its included in the fare and am happy. I am always ready with my order and if I should be asleep and miss the drink service its not the end of the world.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

That does sound rude.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Flog flog flog, flog flog that blog....

Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Truly shocking
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:34 pm
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
On the bright side no one has come along and blamed the OP, suggesting that s/she brought this on themselves.

Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
An outrage. I'm never flying BA again
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I've just started looking into this forum (due to upcoming flight). I have to ask if majority are employees of BA, after looking at the stones thrown OPs way.

OP's complain (ignoring the blog plug, just so we can move along) looks valid on face value. As a paying customer, you do have the basic right to standard of service. Assuming OP did not do a "go fetch", it's well within his/her right to request for service which was paid for.

FAs are NOT servants but they ARE paid to serve (not abused, but simply serve).

I would have raised the matter with Purser of the flight, and depending on the reply I might escalate the matter to their management. Complains and compensation aside, I believe real feedback will help the airline improve.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by lighthand
I've just started looking into this forum (due to upcoming flight). I have to ask if majority are employees of BA, after looking at the stones thrown OPs way.

OP's complain (ignoring the blog plug, just so we can move along) looks valid on face value. As a paying customer, you do have the basic right to standard of service. Assuming OP did not do a "go fetch", it's well within his/her right to request for service which was paid for.

FAs are NOT servants but they ARE paid to serve (not abused, but simply serve).

I would have raised the matter with Purser of the flight, and depending on the reply I might escalate the matter to their management. Complains and compensation aside, I believe real feedback will help the airline improve.
The blog plug just makes people a little more cynical about the story.

Basically, it sounds like the FA felt the OP was being rude by ignoring him, and mildly overreacted. Should he have been more professional? Yes, probably, but this is one of those very small things that hardly seems worth thinking twice about, much less starting a thread about or making a blog post about.

Life goes on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.