Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: LH FF, BA Blue these days, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by paul4040
Saw this for the first time at BSL today. Ruthlessly enforced. Was a little bizarre having no less than four separate pens, but it seemed to work.
We're a (generally) well trained set of pax at BSL! There are separate holding 'bays' for Gold, Silver and Bronze but with so many people with status on the flight the queue extends well beyond the end of those bays leading to a bit of confusion and some generally light-hearted banter.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by prof
It was a shambles boarding BA269 to LAX at the C gates today. The access points were jammed with passengers blocking the way before boarding started. They called First, Club and Gold cards and it was a struggle to get through. They then almost immediately called everyone else. No row numbers. Boarding 350-400 people onto a packed A380 really ought to be done with a little more order and decorum.
That echoes our experience there back in January at Gate 150 ... see my HNL TR, Part 3.

I will allow the fact that they didn't have a lot of space to work with, but that should have inspired a better form of 'crowd control' instead of an apparent 'hands off' attitude. Deeply disappointing.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by MADPhil
That is really the key. If the rules are clear and consistently enforced then people will get used to them. As long as there is a chance of getting away with it people will try to ignore them.
One comment I would make is that I've seen much the same behaviour when boarding internal US flights including on AA which is often held up as a good example of how this should be done! So I think there are limits to how much things can be improved.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Flew LHR-CDG a couple of weeks ago and priority was being enforced with military precision.

At least ten people in front of me were sent back into the terminal area (as in, sent completely out of the queue). Some people who clearly didn't speak great English were a little confused, but there were also a lot of huffers and puffers shuffling back down the line.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheBaps
One comment I would make is that I've seen much the same behaviour when boarding internal US flights including on AA which is often held up as a good example of how this should be done! So I think there are limits to how much things can be improved.
I have generally found AA pax pretty good but it probably depends on the physical layout and how many infrequent flyers are boarding.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thursday, LHR-PMI - enforced perfectly, interlopers sent away from the queues, no yellow tag put on Mrs lem's handbag when she pointed out she was in an exit row seat.

Sunday, PMI-LCY - a shambles. Most second bags not yellow tagged, Club, Gold and OWE called first but everyone just got up and went to the gate where they were just let through without checking - including a very rude woman who actually pushed between Mrs Lem and I while we were handing over boarding passes and then tried using the emailed boarding pass (as PMI doesn't support mobile ones) without success, causing a big hold-up behind her
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I have generally found AA pax pretty good but it probably depends on the physical layout and how many infrequent flyers are boarding.
The more infrequent flyers, the smoother the boarding in my experience.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Sunday, PMI-LCY - a shambles. Most second bags not yellow tagged, Club, Gold and OWE called first but everyone just got up and went to the gate where they were just let through without checking - including a very rude woman who actually pushed between Mrs Lem and I while we were handing over boarding passes and then tried using the emailed boarding pass (as PMI doesn't support mobile ones) without success, causing a big hold-up behind her
Iberia handle PMI and though they try, I don't think their heart is in it. At my visit last week it did more or less work. PMI now accepts the App boarding pass.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Iberia handle PMI and though they try, I don't think their heart is in it. At my visit last week it did more or less work. PMI now accepts the App boarding pass.
Weird - I checked in using the app and it wouldn't let me download a boarding pass, said it was unavailable on that route
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Weird - I checked in using the app and it wouldn't let me download a boarding pass, said it was unavailable on that route
Well my boarding pass is still on the gadget - however it is PMI to LHR in CE, but I really can't see that being the difference (?). Android 3.10 d/b 4.9
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by andset1191
You may well be correct, I think the problem behaviour I've seen has always been on busier early evening flights with what I can only guess is a high load of frequent flying business travellers.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by andset1191
Perhaps that's because they're not aware that they're about to run out of overhead space!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Boarding a delayed flight from ARN on Saturday night, it was just the "all aboard" given out. Hence a whole load of gate lice who I suspect didn't have any status and were most definitely in Y stormed the gate and therefore a lot of the fast track who were already queuing lost out.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:05 pm

I used mobile BP at PMI last week too. Also to LHR rather than LCY though.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
another failure

LHR-AMS today. When boarding announced, they explicitly called out twice the process and said this is a new process please be aware.

3 silver card holders in front of me were laughing with each other and saying nobody checks this lets just board when fast track opens.

Sure enough, fast track opened and it was a free for all. The lady who made the announcement about the new process was the same person doing fast track boarding and let everyone board at the same time without enforcing.

BA should either enforce the process especially at their base, or else forget it and go back to previous approach. It's a complete parody at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.