Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:31 am

Just brand new here in FT , very exciting what I could read. I am always interessted in the Upgrade options which are the fun part of travel to hear the great beep when you board the plane. Actually I was OW emerald at former BA and I choose after the bancrupcy BA to be my prefered carrier. I start last year in Nov with Blue and I got up to Gold begining of JUN. I never got the beep by BA maybe also depends on my classes I travel. In Europe mostley CE and long haul in CW so the chance was always very limited I had now 21 sectors on BA but never got a beep for First Class not as a blue/bronze or silver. My next 18 secotors are coming and a long haul to SIN in CW I hope I have some luck to bump into F, also WTP from LON to DXB to get bumt into CW. I only bought a POUP in HKG to F for 710 EUR. Was nice!
So many here made great exprerience with OPUPG, I hope i will make it too.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
J to F, upgraded at gate, on yesterday's DEN-LHR. As it was an evening flight, it was nice to be in F and have dinner served and eaten in the first 90 minutes of the flight. CW evening dinner service now stretches out until you are past Iceland pretty much on ex-US flights!!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:21 am

Aircraft change on BA 177 flight to JFK tomorrow. Double upgrade for two pax WT > CW on 2-4-1 Avios redemption. I'm super happy )))) And 64J/K on upper deck!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
On 216 IAD-LHR on 7-28 myself + a companion got upgraded from Paid WT+ to CW. Neither of us had status (I was AA Gold but I changed my FF # at check in to credit this flight to BA so not sure if that was a factor)
Flight was completely Zeroed out the morning of, and they were aggressively pushing paid upgrades to CW for $499 at check-in. I figured that I'd just roll the dice and the odds would be in my favor. I didn't get the beep at boarding, but a purser came back and got me about 5 minutes after I boarded.

Was a nice surprise and It pushed me over to bronze so I have my fingers crossed for my return flight next week.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA175 to JFK today, upgraded from WTP to CW. Interesting data point as I have a special meal requested - I assumed that would never happen!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Not a real upgrade as such but now in FLUB to Madrid BA 460. Lots of space for this flight. It’s a 17F 777 and 11 of us in the cabin. F cabin only opened one hour before flight. Noticed my seat had changed on the App.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by rsak
BA175 to JFK today, upgraded from WTP to CW. Interesting data point as I have a special meal requested - I assumed that would never happen!
I’ve had a POUG with a special meal ordered too, which also happened to be on the JFK route.. The special meal was brought through from Y to W in my case.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
My last upgrade (and surprising) was on the LGW to YYZ (seasonal route) in May. The outward leg to London was only about 20% full and so my voluntary downgrade from WTP to 3 middle seats in WT for a very pleasant 3 hour "flatbed" sleep was most welcome. On the return leg to YYZ, I got upgraded whilst in the lounge and the flight turned out to be full. Mind you, a lot of the flight (including a large group in Biz) appeared to be off duty crew exploring the latest destination in the LGW portfolio.
My best ever (and really unexpected) upgrade was a couple of years ago from CW to First with my partner on an Avios flight (with companion voucher) where I'd expect to be the last to be upgraded.
Whether its true or not, I did hear that BA were making upgrades more random, to stop golds booking WTP or Biz (to save money) and expecting an upgrade every time.
It would be interesting to know whether two class, three class or four class configs make a difference as my theory is the more classes, the more bumping from WT to WTP, WTP to CW, and CW to First.
Annoyingly, my flight to London tonight looked promising with only one seat not taken in WTP, and an offer to upgrade to CW for 650 bucks. When I checked in yesterday, they changed the 777 config to 48 in WTP providing a whole extra row. (with a reduction in coach).
I know it's not the theme of the thread, but i think BA are missing a trick. The system presumably offers a default upgrade cost based on supply and demand. 650 bucks for an upgrade was actually the original biz cost minus my WTP fare. If I didn't do biz originally for a fare of X - why would I book an upgrade to the original price i dismissed at the time of booking. I think if they're heading to involuntary upgrades on a flight - offer it to me for 200 bucks and I'd rush to do it! The lesson I've learnt on this from from a flight earlier this year to and from Sydney from Vancouver. ie how much value did I personally place on the delta on the experience between PE and Biz on AC for a 16 hour flight - my answer was "a lot' so we bid the max and still didn't win the upgrade auction. This week I was offered an Air Canada upgrade from YOW to YYZ for 130 bucks (for 40 mins in the air), a cold meal, one drink (and a complimentary indigestion tablet). And with AC, you get no more miles when you pay for an upgrade. At least with BA (for now at least) if I do buy an upgrade, then I get the miles and TPs. In fact, as far as I know it's one of the few ways to effectively buy tier points and to get me into the next level of BA EC - I've done just that as it was cheaper and more convenient than a miles run
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Upgraded on Wed GLA-LHR ET > CE
Upgraded on BA31 LHR to HKG.on Wed WT+ > CW :-)

Now upgraded from PE to Business on CX332 HKG > PEK Sat :-)

I wonder if BA and CX have started a wee mini war for my business since I flew CX the last two times. If so long may it continue :-)
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:00 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Upgraded on Wednesday 1st August, WT->Club on BA237, LHR-DME. Was informed in GC North when I was enquiring which gate the flight was leaving from.

A very welcome surprise.

S
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Upgraded last week at the gate ET-CE. However was travelling with my family of 4 on the same booking so I was surprised it happened.

Mrs TT1F didn’t want to go without the family and I didn’t think it right to go on my own. In the end there was more shuffling around and I ended up back where I started from. I was surprised how hard it was in the end to get my original seat back!

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Aug 4, 2018 at 5:33 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Upgraded at the gate on Tue from LHR-TXL (ET to CE). In the days before, the BA App kept offering me POUG for £129.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
Delayed flight LHR to IAD 2/6/18. Already boarded to upper deck Club with Mrs, Deplaned for repairs after ground crew truck ran into plane, waited in lounge and on reboarding beeped to 5E & F. Very happy Mrs, problem is she's starting to think thats how I fly all the time! Very glad I linked the PNRs as was too separate bookings as I was returning a week after Mrs following work trip.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
For the second year in a row my wife and I have both been upgraded from CW to F travelling the return leg UVF-LGW after checking in and bag drop. New BPs issued at the gate.
An unexpected and good way to end a holiday!

Last year we were on PE tickets, upgraded to CW with avios and this year (4th Aug) we were on a 2-4-1.

We are both GCHs. A couple we were with, who had paid full fare CW but had no BAEC status did not get pinged at the gate - so these CIVs, algorithms etc seem to work!

Incidentally, although all the cabins appeared to be rammed in both directions this year - the CC service in our area was excellent (very competent and cheerful with it) and we thought the new menus, bedding etc were a vast improvement.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:06 am

WT to WT+ on BA155, there were a few who got same, Silver and Bronze status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.