Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Not strictly an upgrade? SEA-LHR CW-F yesterday

I was IRROPS PDX to LAX so the AA gate agent tried a few options and ended up putting me in a hotel and then early flight on Delta from PDX to SEA and then I was put in F for BA52 SEA-LHR. I have an inkling that the AA agent didnt realise the difference between CW and F on BA fares when she was looking for availability for me.

And to comment on the F service - it was good , not excellent, but I couldn't complain about any aspect of the soft service.
PETER01 and haroon145 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Been upgraded from WT to WT+ on the BA212 from Bos-lhr today. Always a nice feeling. Felt it was coming as i’d Reserved a seat in row 41 weeks ago but when I went to OLCI today my seat was in the WT+section.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:52 pm

I went to check in to my flight from Ko Samui home and found that I had been upgraded on my flight tomorrow from BKK to LHR ffrom WT to Club which was a very nice surprise (and my first ever upgrade).

i think the the plane has been changed from 3 class to 4 class which may explain it. But for whatever reason it will make the flight home from my holiday so much nicer.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: BA GGL & Gfl, LH Senator, Marriott Plat Prem, AA GLD
Got upgraded from LHR to TXL on Tuesday this week - done at the gate due to full flight
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

Hoping against hope that I get bumped into F.... 😂
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
My god FlyerTalk could you have made that pic any bigger?
Strattonflyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Got an unexpected upgrade to CE on Friday. It was looking like a full flight (we had the message and en email from BA informing us of that, and suggesting we checked in our carry-on baggage at desk whatever, prior to security - only snag was that we had gone through security sometime earlier which you would think the system would have realised - but that's another story).

Anyway, idly checking expertflyer in the lounge, I got this loading, with our 2 seats X'd out (10A/B):

Thought it a bit odd, but didn't glance at the BA app until waiting at the gate to see we had been moved up to row 3. There was a bit of faff at the gate with a gate agent who eventually produced a couple of paper BPs for the new seats. So, having grazed our way through a late breakfast and an early lunch in the lounge it would have been rude not to have another small drink on the aircraft!

Any idea why our original seats would show as blocked - would it be crew?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Got an unexpected upgrade to CE on Friday. It was looking like a full flight (we had the message and en email from BA informing us of that, and suggesting we checked in our carry-on baggage at desk whatever, prior to security - only snag was that we had gone through security sometime earlier which you would think the system would have realised - but that's another story).

Anyway, idly checking expertflyer in the lounge, I got this loading, with our 2 seats X'd out (10A/B):

Thought it a bit odd, but didn't glance at the BA app until waiting at the gate to see we had been moved up to row 3. There was a bit of faff at the gate with a gate agent who eventually produced a couple of paper BPs for the new seats. So, having grazed our way through a late breakfast and an early lunch in the lounge it would have been rude not to have another small drink on the aircraft!

Any idea why our original seats would show as blocked - would it be crew?
I've seen this before i think it means those seats are primed for an upgrade and you are tentatively placed in the seats but if for some reason the upgrade isnt going to happen (late booking pax) then the original seats are still there. When there is FLUB (4 class plane on a 3 class route) similar things happen . But i'm not an expert on FLY maybe someone else knows for sure
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Do couples on the same booking and status ever get upgraded together?

I assume it is mostly singles.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by eugegall

Singles certainly have the better chance of an upgrade, but normally speaking if BA does an operational upgrade all the passengers on the booking will be upgraded. It may not be so obvious from the anecdotes above, but I think you can assume that many of them will be couples and some will be family groups. The highest status triggers the upgrade (to simplify a complex discussion) but the fact that others in the booking perhaps do not have status will still allow for the upgrade to happen. Clearly having (e.g.) 2 Gold cardholders simply increases the chance of it happening, but still upgrades can and do go to Bronze + Blue.
eugegall likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards

we've been upgraded as a couple 4 times in the last two years, thrice to first from club and once from wt+ to club (although that was on 2 separate bookings). It probably helps that i'm gold and she is silver
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
We have four times been upgraded as a family of 4:
CW-F, ET-CE twice and Economy-Business on Dragonair.

It's a nice feeling to see the family benefitting from me hardly ever being at home
Cymro likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Singles certainly have the better chance of an upgrade, but normally speaking if BA does an operational upgrade all the passengers on the booking will be upgraded. It may not be so obvious from the anecdotes above, but I think you can assume that many of them will be couples and some will be family groups. The highest status triggers the upgrade (to simplify a complex discussion) but the fact that others in the booking perhaps do not have status will still allow for the upgrade to happen. Clearly having (e.g.) 2 Gold cardholders simply increases the chance of it happening, but still upgrades can and do go to Bronze + Blue.
Years ago (2004 I think) as a family of 4 (all lowly blues), we got upgraded from WT+ to CW SFO-LHR :-). Occasionally Mrs CKBA and I would get upgrades on rewards flights (not for a very long time), and it's been 18 months+ (150k+ miles) since we were last upgraded together.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!

Yes, as per my example above at post # 1507
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
I was upgraded ET>CE from LHR to DUB again last week, I fly a DUB>LON return each week, and have had an upgrade on at least one leg around 4 out of the last 8 weeks. I'm happy to accept the upgrade but it seems odd that it happens so often.
Also as I need the TPs to retain Gold, I would on occasions rather pay for the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.