Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feeling very "corporate-wage-slave" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Last July I did a day trip to ZRH to see a friend, booked a RFS out on the 7am from LCY and back on the 19:10. The stars pretty much aligned that day

On the way out (E170), there was a single empty seat in ET: the one next to me. The flight left on time and so we landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule. "Our" stand at the E gates wasn't available yet because we were early and after a little meandering we got parked up at the D gates (skip the Heidi train, yay!)
The weather was perfect, friend had sent the office car to pick me up and I had a very enjoyable day.

I had booked CE for the way back because between the lounge access and the more substantial, if average, meal on board, it's better value that eating at ZRH. When I checked in for the return (E190), the only seat available to me was 2D. I'm not normally bothered as there's 5'3 of me, so I fit pretty much anywhere but I'd never turn 2D down on the 190, especially has I only had a small handbag to squeeze in the overhead locker. After a few drinks and some munchies on the terrace at the E gates, I board and get settled in, With just a few minutes to go, 2C is still empty and the CC tells me that the pax has just been offloaded.
Then we get told that for some unknown reason the flight is over-catered, yes you read that right and we have 2 menus to choose from...

We landed at LCY on time and because it was the ENG-CRO match there was no traffic whatsoever and the cab dropped me at home 20 minutes after landing. Bonus: England lost (I'm French )
so3003, Tobias-UK and abligh like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:16 am

What does c-w-s do for a living that puts him on a plane so much?
if that's kept private I understand, but if its public on the forum, can someone remind us?
Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
What does c-w-s do for a living that puts him on a plane so much?
if that's kept private I understand, but if its public on the forum, can someone remind us?
Thanks
It's a secret
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
It's a secret
I bet it's not
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:23 am

Airline industry? CWS always strikes me as kindly defencive.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
Airline industry? CWS always strikes me as kindly defencive.
Nope, he’s not involved in the airline industry and neither is he an American Footballer
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:40 am

I have to say not knowing background of high volume contributors does affect my reaction to their posts. For instance if a contributor was a known airline or indeed BA employee then this naturally gives posts a different gravitas and indeed 'angle'. That said I respect privacy needs.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:49 am

I think the question posed by FlyingHighlander in post 152 is asking primarily whether this information has already been divulged in the forum over the years (in which case, can we be reminded), or not (in which case, no worries).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
I believe CWS is not employed by any airline, and travels on lots of different airlines (not just BA), so you can certainly trust his posts as being impartial, and extremely useful. The amount of FT'ers he has helped (including myself) is huge. I have yet to meet him on my travels, but do keep a lookout so I can thank him personally for his help.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I have yet to meet him on my travels, but do keep a lookout so I can thank him personally for his help.
I was sat in 1F while he was sat in 1C on a recent flight from NCL - LHR, but I didn't know until a few days later.

I can also thank him for his help on several occasions.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
I think the question posed by FlyingHighlander in post 152 is asking primarily whether this information has already been divulged in the forum over the years (in which case, can we be reminded), or not (in which case, no worries).
No, it hasn't been divulged on the forum.

He's a very nice chap and comes to quite a few of the DO's or flight events (launch of the A380/787 for example) so the best way to satisfy your curiosity is to simply go to one...Please respect his privacy otherwise. You can also sometimes meet him in a lounge if he notices you're on FT...

As the OP of this thread, I'll kindly bring this back on topic and ask if anyone else has felt 'very C-W-S' of late?

Safe travels.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BotB

As the OP of this thread, I'll kindly bring this back on topic and ask if anyone else has felt 'very C-W-S' of late?
I had 26 flights booked for October at some point. Found more direct routing on some of them and eventually cut it down to 23. I have done 22 of them. Just one more to fly.

Only 7 were long haul, so I still haven't ended up spending 120 hours in one month on aeroplanes like I did some years ago. (I think I did 2 x Europe-Australia and 1 x Australia-Asia return that month, plus some short haul). Quite a few short haul ones were Band 4 so I am feeling a bit aeroplaned-out.

Long haul lowlight:
- SQ A330 J (kind of a regional config, no solo seating, sloped bed, showing its age)

Long haul highlight:
- SQ 787 J & QF A330 J (both comfortable solo-seats, and as far as SQ goes, no 'recline and twist' that they have on other J seats except A330)
- BA 777 (I bumped into a friend on the flight, but besides that, the cabin crew was utterly lovely! She got a golden ticket from me.)
BotB likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 29, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Not a volume of flights thing, but I have been finding the shorthaul stuff, with the routine I get in, a bit exhausting when combined with the home life (I get home from a trip and a lovely but super demanding 2yo awaits me). So I attempted to work out an itinerary for MAD next week that does NOT involve me yet again being on what is literally the first flight (any destination) out of T5 on a Monday morning (with concomitant pre 4am alarm call).

But of course, a few mail exchanges and diary 'insertions' by the team PA later, which flight am I about to book up? (insert snatch of Simon and Garfunkel music here.... "Hello darkness BA456 my old friend.......")
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I came across this while searching for what the hamburg rule was. Made me laugh.

I had three ntense trips last year.

MDZ-SCL-MIA-MEX-LHR-BCN-LHR-KRK with one night BCN and one LHR.

Also BGL-HKG-LAX-MEX-LHR-KRK-LHR-KRK-LHR-MEX 7 days.

And. MEX-MIA-MXP-FRA-KRK-FRA-MXP-MAD-MXP-MIA-MEX with 5 nights krk and 2 mad.

Got MEX-LHR-CDG-LHR-SOF-LHR-TXL-KRK-LHR-CDG-LHR-MEX.

Not enough J to write home about and some reward flights and trips on other carriers in all that. But making gold for first time.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Well, felt very BotB (both Back of the Bus as well as Best of the Best) but also very c-w-s tonight on the A350 465 return flight to LHR. Had the whole aft CW cabin to myself (although the front CW cabin was quite full) and even had my own cabin crew member (one to one safety briefing and all)...

Anyone else had a c-w-s moment or crazy week of flights lately?
yellow_peril, Calchas and Mks6 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.