Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1A to PRG. Can I just tag your bag to put it under the seat in front of you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Oh dear, all theses years I've been putting a bag under the seat in front without the tag on? I didn't realise I needed permission to do it!
I don't think they care whether you do it or not, as long as you do actually fit the bag with the tag, under the seat. I've seen a self obsessed DKNWIA type board at MAN, and fill an entire overhead bin with a full size carry on (side on, of course), handbag, shopping and large fur coat! If BA wants to do something about this kind of abuse, then that's fine by me.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by squeeler
It is an interesting and not-unwelcome tactic IMHO. There are some flaws:
ET passengers still can stick their bags above CE seats
On one recent flight from CDG, some unscrupulous punters were tearing off the yellow tags in the corridor after BP check. Would it not be better to apply tags to the bags that are allowed in the overhead? Or am I confused?
That would be the sensible solution, everybody would get one tag with their BP/at the gate to put on a case/wheeler/bag ; and only the tagged item to go overhead.
That way nobody forces you to put a tag on, but if you don't it goes under the seat or gets gate-checked.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Which is what appears to bave happened at NCL this morning. All bags were being tagged.
I do the NCL run weekly and I'm sure that on a couple of occasions BA tagged my single bag with a green tag, meaning it COULD be put into the overhead locker.

I have no idea why the idea of using yellow tags for bags that must go under the seat in front of you was ever introduced as it is clearly abused by so many people.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've made many mistakes during my working life....everyone does I imagine. Giving a bag tag out to someone who doesn't need one is hardly a mistake worthy of public humiliation.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
I agree.

Humiliation requires identification. Did one of the preceding posts identify someone?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by Deckard
Many thanks lorcancolye for the confirmation that "no" is not kicking off. I hadn't seen it that way so am grateful that my view is not universally repudiated. My "no" was delivered courteously and with a smile. As was the explanation. He even joined in the laughter when he realised.

So according to people with a lot of posts BA employees are told to tag all bags not just the second one? Tag all row 1 bags? Tag all exit row bags? Surely in these days of cost cutting those tags could be saved for use where they were needed.

Many years back I did an advanced driving course. One of the points made was that indicating to turn when there was no one there to see it was an indication that the driver was going through the motions not actively driving as they were no longer thinking about why they were indicating. At the time I thought this was a reasonable point. Now I realise that the instructor was obviously suffering from some form of ED and was merely overcompensating for his lack of virility.
It took me awhile of reading the posts to get the whole aspect of tagging bags that should go under a seat as I don't fly BA, but I wish Delta did this. It's not entirely common, but many FF put 2 bags up top, which is a little irritating.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
In the queue for the flight to PRG yesterday the lady was tagging all second bags and requesting that all larger bags went in the hold.

I only had one bag and was told it would have to go in the hold because it was large. I pointed out it was well within limits (this was a modest roll on, not my Max cabin size Topez) and also contained my laptops and other expensive bits and pieces that I did not want to go into the hold. So the lady said I should take them out of the bag and carry them on. I asked if she had a bag for me to put my electrical items into. She didn't and left me alone.

To be honest I felt quite annoyed by this. One bag well within limits. There were no space issues onboard either.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:27 am

Humiliation requires identification. Did one of the preceding posts identify someone?
Agreed although I never said you did.

I'm just surprised you thought their simple mistake was worthy of a thread.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Maybe BA should give out TPs or Avios for people who volunteer to check their bags into the hold
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm just surprised you thought their simple mistake was worthy of a thread.
I would welcome you to the BA Flyer Talk Forum but you've been here a lot longer than me.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:30 am

I would welcome you to the BA Flyer Talk Forum but you've been here a lot longer than me.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rumbataz
I am 100% sure that BA used to do this many years ago. They'd take the wheeled suitcases off passengers at the gate and have them checked into the hold.

But BA simply need to do this much earlier on in the cycle and simply severely limit the amount of cabin baggage allowed. It would speed up security too.
This used to happen on the now defunct City Airline on the BHX-GOT route which I flew regularly some years ago. They had ERJ135/145s and we always dropped our carryons at the aircraft door and picked them up at the aircraft steps on the other side.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
In the queue for the flight to PRG yesterday the lady was tagging all second bags and requesting that all larger bags went in the hold.

I only had one bag and was told it would have to go in the hold because it was large. I pointed out it was well within limits (this was a modest roll on, not my Max cabin size Topez) and also contained my laptops and other expensive bits and pieces that I did not want to go into the hold. So the lady said I should take them out of the bag and carry them on. I asked if she had a bag for me to put my electrical items into. She didn't and left me alone.

To be honest I felt quite annoyed by this. One bag well within limits. There were no space issues onboard either.
I imagine that the reason there were no issues with bags on your flight was because this ground staff agent was being so proactive.

Some people are happy to hold load their bag especially if they are going to be picking up a hold bag anyway, so it is fine for her to ask to hold load it for free. I agree though that if your bag was within the guidelines then she should have respected your wish to keep it. Although BA.com does say that if space runs out your hand baggage may have to be hold loaded. So make sure you take advantage of priority boarding!

My biggest problem is the size of some of the second bags. Some are very large rucksacks and some are a second smaller wheelie!!

Some outstations are tagging bags that are too big, but hopefully with the new portable gages being brought out for both bags, first and second, this will start to reduce.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:15 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
On the way to sunny (I kid you not) Glasgow this morning, they were issuing yellow tickets; they even had the cheek to tell me to put my wheelie bag into the size gauge. DTKWIA ?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
On the BA958 to MUC right now now which is delayed and full. We are up against the night ban at Munich also. Would not say it was chaos but disorganised and the baggage situ so bad they offered to hold load for free before boarding started. This caused a rush to the gate and clearly if you want priority boarding and free second bag just take it to the gate. On board the overheads are rammed with coats bags and ski paraphernalia as half term for some schools starts tonight. This is a BA self inflicted wound. Stemming from to many seats and no overhead space plus crew bags in the cabin. The baggage policy can't have long before it is further enhanced! For the record I have 1 bag for 4 passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.